PDA

View Full Version : Blueblood’s Article Links—Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blueblood
27th October 2009, 07:14 AM
Each day we strive to find article links involving Georgia Southern athletics and former Georgia Southern athletes. Should you find we missed an article link, please reply to help keep the Eagle Faithful informed:

1. Promotions Highlight Weekend Volleyball Matches

[The Georgia Southern volleyball team’s match on Friday, October 30th will be one filled with excitement both on and off the court. The match has been designated both Junior Eagle Club Day and “Parent’s Night Out.” The Eagles will take on the Furman Paladins at 7 p.m. at Hanner Fieldhouse.]

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18700&ATCLID=204821693

2. Notebook: Eagles unsure just why they came out flat

[“I don’t know,” said GSU running back Adam Urbano, who had 16 carries for 41 yards. “I just feel like we came out in shock I guess. I don’t really feel good about the way we played. I feel like we could have played much better. There’s just something about it. I don’t really know how you can come out flat in an atmosphere like this. It’s a great place to play. It’s loud. It’s what you dream of, playing in an environment like this.”]

http://www.gsueaglenation.com/pages/full_story/push?article-Notebook-+Eagles+unsure+just+why+they+came+out+flat%20&id=4152247-Notebook-+Eagles+unsure+just+why+they+came+out+flat&instance=articles_player

3. Weekly Whatup, 10/27

[When GSU scrapped the system and the coaching staff that had been so successful since the beginning of the modern era, X’s and O’s weren’t the only part of the program that started from scratch. The fearlessness went with it. Now, the Eagles will find themselves more than likely missing the playoffs for the fourth time in as many years. That’s why these last three games are big. None of these players and coaches have proven to themselves that they have what it takes to be great. None of them have been on the field for a successful season here in Statesboro. Sure, there have been successful moments, but a successful season starts with that attitude, and the Eagles haven’t found it yet.]

http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/19634/

4. Eagles have to focus on the future

[GSU leads the Southern Conference in red zone offensive efficiency, scoring 89.5 percent of the time. That's the good news for the Eagles. The bad news is they've only been in the red zone 19 times this season - less than 2 times a game - second worst in the league.]

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2009-10-27/eagles-have-focus-future

5. WTOC broadcasts Live Tailgate Show on home-game days

[According to Harney, while in the past GSU was always a component of the show, the tailgate show itself has been done at the University of Florida, Auburn University and University of Georgia. However, Harney said that he has “never seen the spirit” at those institutions that he has seen at GSU. “It’s one of the great discoveries of the year,” he said.“If you’re going to do a live show, energy is what you’re after,” said Harney. He said that having the band and cheerleaders perform “changes the complexion of the show.” He said that unlike on other campuses, at GSU he’s also had “students ask to come up and help.” “I’d say it’s our best (tailgate show) in years,” said Harney.]

http://gadaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1277:wtoc-broadcasts-live-tailgate-show-on-home-game-days&catid=1:local-news&Itemid=53

6. Hatcher, Eagles going through rough spots

[Hatcher had plenty to talk about this time around, but it wasn’t along the lines of what he was used to. “I promise you this, It was very difficult (Monday) morning to get up and go to Atlanta and talk ... and come on down here and see folks when you know you got so much work to do, and you really don’t want anybody to see you, you don’t want to really talk about it,” Hatcher said.]

http://www.macon.com/367/story/893810.html

7. Behr: ASU getting better at right time

[Appalachian State finally put together a complete game on both sides of the ball. For starters, ASU gained a remarkable 712 yards in total offense. I don't care if they're playing Statesboro Middle School, that's impressive. And the defense was aggressive from the start, harassing Georgia Southern quarterback Lee Chapple all game. The Mountineers sacked Chapple five times, and delivered shots to him on other occasions. ASU also allowed just 15 yards rushing, a number that was unimaginable during the Georgia Southern glory days.]

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/story/Behr%3A_ASU_getting_better_at_right_time

8. BEARS IN BRIEF: Vasher gets look at free safety

[Smith said running back Adrian Peterson was getting better with his sprained right knee but didn't sound optimistic about him suiting up Sunday against Cleveland.]

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1847766,CST-SPT-bearnt27.article

Jeffrey1971
27th October 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm new to this website, and if this sounds like "piling on" then I'll take the
penalty. In looking over some of the recent 10/27 postings, I'm seeing a
football player who is quoted as saying "...I don't know...I just feel like we
came out in shock I guess..." and a coach who said "...and you really don't want anybody to see you, you don't want to really talk about it."
I won't pain you with anymore broken quotes but it seems to me that with
other than a few "memorable" exceptions GS football has lost the one element that made it great. We were NEVER in awe of anyone. Sure, we
lost some games but by scores like 34-31 or 45-42. You get what I'm saying. I was at the homecoming game 3 years ago and even after seeing
my school go down in defeat - in overtime, I walked out of the stadium thinking to myself that I could almost handle losing if I could feel as proud
as I felt at that moment. We gave the defending national champs, ASU
all that they could handle. Maybe like most of you, I'm a GS alum and a
Southern Booster and I'll ALWAYS be proud of my school, but here recently I can only wonder what happened to our ATTITUDE.

Eagle22
27th October 2009, 09:28 PM
I'm new to this website, and if this sounds like "piling on" then I'll take the
penalty. In looking over some of the recent 10/27 postings, I'm seeing a
football player who is quoted as saying "...I don't know...I just feel like we
came out in shock I guess..." and a coach who said "...and you really don't want anybody to see you, you don't want to really talk about it."
I won't pain you with anymore broken quotes but it seems to me that with
other than a few "memorable" exceptions GS football has lost the one element that made it great. We were NEVER in awe of anyone. Sure, we
lost some games but by scores like 34-31 or 45-42. You get what I'm saying. I was at the homecoming game 3 years ago and even after seeing
my school go down in defeat - in overtime, I walked out of the stadium thinking to myself that I could almost handle losing if I could feel as proud
as I felt at that moment. We gave the defending national champs, ASU
all that they could handle. Maybe like most of you, I'm a GS alum and a
Southern Booster and I'll ALWAYS be proud of my school, but here recently I can only wonder what happened to our ATTITUDE.

Part of what happened, in my opinion, is that we captured lightning in a bottle early on (1985-86), and that tradition, expectation and attitude was passed down from class to class. We didn't miss the playoffs from 1985-1991, and when we didn't make it in 1992, we were back in 1993 and 1995. When PJ came in, there were kids on the team who had at least known what it was to be in the playoffs, so the culture still existed.

When Sewak's tenure came to an end, and the decision to scrap the offense was made, a window of opportunity opened. In this case, the genie was let out of the bottle.

So today, we find ourselves with a roster full of players who have never been involved with playoff football. That does not mean they don't understand the stakes, but it has to be different for them. So we have to forge a new path. It is my understanding that the other traditions remain, but the one that counts to fans the most, will have to be found again ... the path to winning playoff games.

When some of our great teams of the past were challenged, there were battle-tested veterans on the team who could at least try to put the team on their backs and press on.

We don't have that luxury now. We might not have it in the near term, heck we might be sitting here a year from now and not have it. But I do think we're trying. I don't think it is a futile effort that that weighs on the team and the coaches right now.

Oh, and welcome to the board !