PDA

View Full Version : "Active Users" question

EagleSC
27th December 2009, 02:35 AM
How accurate is that function at the bottom of the index page. Does it consider anyon that's logged in as an "active user" or is there a certain measurement of time since a users last activity that is included.

The reason I ask is because it's 1:30 am and the "active user" count show 202 users right now (80 are registered members). Of the registered members listed, there are a couple of names that I find it strange that they are up are up at this hour the day after Christmas checking TSC. They frequent the site so I wondered if they're like me and stay logged on and that is why it looks like they are "active" right now...or are they really checking out the site?

Just wondered about that!

Eagle22
27th December 2009, 09:15 AM
How accurate is that function at the bottom of the index page. Does it consider anyon that's logged in as an "active user" or is there a certain measurement of time since a users last activity that is included.

The reason I ask is because it's 1:30 am and the "active user" count show 202 users right now (80 are registered members). Of the registered members listed, there are a couple of names that I find it strange that they are up are up at this hour the day after Christmas checking TSC. They frequent the site so I wondered if they're like me and stay logged on and that is why it looks like they are "active" right now...or are they really checking out the site?

Just wondered about that!

A 2 hour window.

You can view 'activity' by clicking the active user list, then it can be sorted by time. (Well, at least I think the general registered user can view this)

http://www.gsufans.com/tsc/online.php?order=desc&sort=time&pp=20&page=1

This is an admin defined parameter. I could set it for 1 minute or a much longer time frame.

The reason I have set it for 2 hours is mainly it is an easier way for me to monitor for spammers. Actually 24 hours would be easier, but then it would look like all 1500 or so daily regular visitors would be online at the same time.

Most spammers I eliminate at signup, however some still get through and then I'm able to sort them out from the online list (for some reason they like to login and only use private messaging ... never post or usually post only a single message like "hi guys, i'm new and i hope this is in the right forum" type of posts.