TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Information Act

1. Default Freedom of Information Act

Can someone like the Herald do a Georgia freedom of information act request of the University to get a copy of the actual bid submitted to see exactly what was said to verify the extent of our different interpretation. shouldn't be too hard to request.

Default Re: Freedom of Information Act

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
    Can someone like the Herald do a Georgia freedom of information act request of the University to get a copy of the actual bid submitted to see exactly what was said to verify the extent of our different interpretation. shouldn't be too hard to request.
    If I am not mistaking, in accordance with the Open Records Act of the State of Georgia, anyone can request the documentation, including emails, etc. However, the person requesting the information will have to pay any copying fees associated with the request, as well as the cost of to compile the information based on an hourly rate of the lowest paid person in the department.

The only thing that's off limits, to my knowledge, is student information: grades, judicial stuff, health stuff, etc. This should be available if a media member pushed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    The only thing that's off limits, to my knowledge, is student information: grades, judicial stuff, health stuff, etc. This should be available if a media member pushed for it.
    Doesn't have to be a media member. Any person can request this. However, I see where you're going with your comment!

5. Default Re: Freedom of Information Act

it would be very interesting to see the verbage used and see if it actually said something that indicated Sam believed the bid would carry over or if it just stated:

First Round: $40,000

could catch them with their pants down again

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
    December 7, 2:09 a.m. - that's when I read this post....

GSU fans sink to the lowest level of fandom.

Come on people. I'm as disappointed as the next person, but what it foraging into documents going to fix? The athletic department/Sam/whoever f*cked up. They f*ucked up bad. But as true as that fact may be, trying to dig deeper into things isn't going to help one bit. What's done is done, and rest assured that all of the evidence of what was overlooked will be more than clear to Dr. Keel or whoever is tasked with figuring out where we went wrong.

You guys can gripe about the screw up all you want - and again, trust that I'm not happy either - but as for me, I'll be putting all of my energy for the week into getting ready for Saturday and cheering for my team to kick the crap out of those rat-dogs.

Anyways, that's all I've got.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    December 7, 2:09 a.m. - that's when I read this post....

GSU fans sink to the lowest level of fandom.

Come on people. I'm as disappointed as the next person, but what it foraging into documents going to fix? The athletic department/Sam/whoever f*cked up. They f*ucked up bad. But as true as that fact may be, trying to dig deeper into things isn't going to help one bit. What's done is done, and rest assured that all of the evidence of what was overlooked will be more than clear to Dr. Keel or whoever is tasked with figuring out where we went wrong.

You guys can gripe about the screw up all you want - and again, trust that I'm not happy either - but as for me, I'll be putting all of my energy for the week into getting ready for Saturday and cheering for my team to kick the crap out of those rat-dogs.

Anyways, that's all I've got.
    I guess I see where you were trying to go with this but I have to respectfully disagree with your "lowest level of fandom" comment. These fans that want to dig deeper have made huge emotional, time & most importantly financial investments in this program. Sam Baker is the head figure of our athletic department & therefore needs to be held accountable for his actions. If we were talking about a corporation, you better believe that investors would be digging into every detail if something major like this happened. When your money is tied into something that you care about, you deserve to have someone trustworthy managing your investment.

I realize that athletics are different than a corporation but nonetheless, there needs to be transparency when you're dealing with the amount of financial responsibility that an athletic director is entrusted with. Having said that, I agree that the main focus needs to be on supporting our Eagles this weekend but that's not going to make this go away, nor should it.

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    I guess I see where you were trying to go with this but I have to respectfully disagree with your "lowest level of fandom" comment. These fans that want to dig deeper have made huge emotional, time & most importantly financial investments in this program. Sam Baker is the head figure of our athletic department & therefore needs to be held accountable for his actions. If we were talking about a corporation, you better believe that investors would be digging into every detail if something major like this happened. When your money is tied into something that you care about, you deserve to have someone trustworthy managing your investment.

I realize that athletics are different than a corporation but nonetheless, there needs to be transparency when you're dealing with the amount of financial responsibility that an athletic director is entrusted with. Having said that, I agree that the main focus needs to be on supporting our Eagles this weekend but that's not going to make this go away, nor should it.
    I can also see where you're coming from, but this is my personal point of view:

While I do invest money, time and emotion into GSU sports, I care MUCH more about the outcome of each team's season than everything else that goes along with the day-to-day operations of the athletic department.

I can understand the analogy that some would use about how contributing to GSU is the same as investing in a company, but I also look at it like this - I might invest a lot of my money into a business, but that doesn't mean that I'm on the board, and they sure aren't going to call me and ask for my opinion on any big decisions. I may think that I could do better, but in the end, if the final result is good, then I'm happy.

I don't like what's going on at all. Clearly someone dropped the ball. He or she needs to be held accountable, but having everyone involved fly off of a cliff about it with the team - which is the focal point of all of this - still playing is like demanding the the CEO and board of directors of your company be fired right in the middle of a huge business move. It might make a big stink and show everyone that you mean business, but you're only bringing more unnecessary outside attention to the situation - none of it positive - and it only serves to hurt you in the long run.

I say wait until the helmets and shoulder pads are put away for the winter. After that, whoever wants to have at it can b*itch and pick and prod to their heart's content. Hell, I'll probably be one of them, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let something non football related - at least in the physical sense - have an adverse effect on the best season of GSU football I've ever been fortunate enough to be a part of.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

While I do invest money, time and emotion into GSU sports, I care MUCH more about the outcome of each team's season than everything else that goes along with the day-to-day operations of the athletic department.

I can understand the analogy that some would use about how contributing to GSU is the same as investing in a company, but I also look at it like this - I might invest a lot of my money into a business, but that doesn't mean that I'm on the board, and they sure aren't going to call me and ask for my opinion on any big decisions. I may think that I could do better, but in the end, if the final result is good, then I'm happy.

I don't like what's going on at all. Clearly someone dropped the ball. He or she needs to be held accountable, but having everyone involved fly off of a cliff about it with the team - which is the focal point of all of this - still playing is like demanding the the CEO and board of directors of your company be fired right in the middle of a huge business move. It might make a big stink and show everyone that you mean business, but you're only bringing more unnecessary outside attention to the situation - none of it positive - and it only serves to hurt you in the long run.

I say wait until the helmets and shoulder pads are put away for the winter. After that, whoever wants to have at it can b*itch and pick and prod to their heart's content. Hell, I'll probably be one of them, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let something non football related - at least in the physical sense - have an adverse effect on the best season of GSU football I've ever been fortunate enough to be a part of.
    I do agree with most of what you posted, but you mentioned that the board of directors isn't going to call you to ask your opinion and as long as the end result is good, you're happy. The problem here is that the end result has been botched big time. Even if we're able to pull off the game this weekend, it's still another road trip most likely resulting in yet another road trip the following weekend, making our path to the championship game (20 minutes from where I live so I'm very hopeful!) that much tougher.

I was lucky enough to be a student in '99 and 2000 and I experienced some of the best years anyone could ever ask for. I had so much confidence in our program & therefore our athletic department...that makes this even more embarrassing. What would we be saying if this happened at App State or Montana? My answer to that question is that it would never happen at either of those 2 institutions & if it did there would be dire consequences.

I agree that this should be dealt with after the season is over but I'm on board with anyone looking for more information at this point. We need to get to the bottom of what actually happened and take action to correct the problem, which as it stands now is obviously our AD. Fact collecting doesn't affect anything on the field but could have a huge effect on the future of our beloved athletic program.

Tell all of this to the businesses affected by not getting the game (probably 1m influx they are missing out on). That's bad enough, but when 12K peoeple LEAVE the 'boro on Saturday for Spartanburg to spend their money, How do you think THAT will impact the local economy?