TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wofford Basketball

Default Wofford Basketball

Alot of posters on the board use the old tired excuses that we will never be good at basketball becaus we don't have history or the facilities. That we are not a basketball school .........Don't tell that to a Wofford basketball team or its fans.......................
    Wofford had never had a winning D-1 basketball record untill 3 years ago. Now they have 3 in a row. For the 2nd straight year they will be going to the big dance.
    They have old facilities, small budget, and no history. Cong. to Coach Young for making your own history and putting your stamp on the program.

2. Default Re: Wofford Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Alot of posters on the board use the old tired excuses that we will never be good at basketball becaus we don't have history or the facilities. That we are not a basketball school .........Don't tell that to a Wofford basketball team or its fans.......................
    Wofford had never had a winning D-1 basketball record untill 3 years ago. Now they have 3 in a row. For the 2nd straight year they will be going to the big dance.
    They have old facilities, small budget, and no history. Cong. to Coach Young for making your own history and putting your stamp on the program.
    Their record isn't sterling, but they played the toughest schedule out of the conference teams by a long shot. I wouldn't be suprised to see them win a game in the tournament.

3. Default Re: Wofford Basketball

Without context, I can't tell whether you are trying to be sarcastic or not, so I'm going to be a glass-half-full sort of guy and take the leap of faith that you were being positive. After all, CY inherited a trainwreck. I clearly remember GSu after the 1994-95 sanctions that crippled the program for five years. I'm not willing to even begin evaluating the coach until year three and would be uneasy making any proclaimations about his suitability for teh position until the end of year four or five.

If anyone can build tradition and success around Hanner and Eagle basketball program, I would have to guess someone like CY would be pretty well-suited for the task. Wofford hardly came out of nowhere. They have had some quality teams in the past (1999's comes immediately to mind) and their fans surely groused about not being able to get over the hump on more than one occassion, I'm sure.

Trying to sort out the last three years of GSU basketball is all but impossible right now. So long as the program stays out of trouble and rebuilds its crumbled foundation, CY deserves no less than cautious optimism for at least two more full years. Anything less is short-sighted.

4. Default Re: Wofford Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Statesboro Blues View Post
    Without context, I can't tell whether you are trying to be sarcastic or not, so I'm going to be a glass-half-full sort of guy and take the leap of faith that you were being positive. After all, CY inherited a trainwreck. I clearly remember GSu after the 1994-95 sanctions that crippled the program for five years. I'm not willing to even begin evaluating the coach until year three and would be uneasy making any proclaimations about his suitability for teh position until the end of year four or five.

If anyone can build tradition and success around Hanner and Eagle basketball program, I would have to guess someone like CY would be pretty well-suited for the task. Wofford hardly came out of nowhere. They have had some quality teams in the past (1999's comes immediately to mind) and their fans surely groused about not being able to get over the hump on more than one occassion, I'm sure.

Trying to sort out the last three years of GSU basketball is all but impossible right now. So long as the program stays out of trouble and rebuilds its crumbled foundation, CY deserves no less than cautious optimism for at least two more full years. Anything less is short-sighted.

Yes and a train wreck is being kind!!! +++

Default Re: Wofford Basketball

This is not a thread about CY or anything that he has done. I was talking about coach Mike Young. (Wofford coach) Some people have said for years on this board that we would never be a power in basketball because of lack of history and our gym. They used those excuses with all the past and present coaches (Greg, Jeff and CY). They say the same thing about the other sports (except football). I am just saying that we can win in any sport!!!! Its about getting the right leadership for that sport. The right leadership will create history for a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine7 View Post
    Yes and a train wreck is being kind!!! +++
    Greg inherited a trainwreck. CY inherited a car wreck.

This is not a thread about CY or anything that he has done. I was talking about coach Mike Young. (Wofford coach) Some people have said for years on this board that we would never be a power in basketball because of lack of history and our gym. They used those excuses with all the past and present coaches (Greg, Jeff and CY). They say the same thing about the other sports (except football). I am just saying that we can win in any sport!!!! Its about getting the right leadership for that sport. The right leadership will create history for a program.
    So by your assessment we're 0-3 in trying to build a power in basketball. I'm not digging the odds too tough so far.

I am just saying that we can win in any sport!!!! Its about getting the right leadership for that sport. The right leadership will create history for a program.
    I'd be happy if the big 3 sports consistently competed for a conference title. With a 9% alumni giving rate it's hard to hire/keep good coaches.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Why don't you move to Spartanburg already and leave us alone?

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingGreenEagle View Post
    Why don't you move to Spartanburg already and leave us alone?
    I guess you moved to Bowling Green when we quit running the triple option.