TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wofford Basketball

Default Re: Wofford Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    So by your assessment we're 0-3 in trying to build a power in basketball. I'm not digging the odds too tough so far.
    I would say 0-1-1 (I jury is still out on CY) Jeff did a nice job getting us around the top, but could never get over the hump.

"I guess you moved to Bowling Green when we quit running the triple option."

Nope, three years after.

3. Default Re: Wofford Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    I would say 0-1-1 (I jury is still out on CY) Jeff did a nice job getting us around the top, but could never get over the hump.
    Maybe this is revisionist history, but if Jeff Price was ever given any support at all during his tenure here he might of taken us over the top. He won consistently with one of the smallest budgets not only in the SoCon but in the country. The year we went to the NIT, we ranked in the top 15 in cost per victory. He won 20 games a year 3 times, all within the last 5 years he was here. Hanner was consistently packed and was one of the toughest places to play in the conference. If he had just gotten any extra support in the form of facility upgrades, expanded recruiting budget, expanded assistant coach budget, or academic support he might still be here. Heck, he would have taken the same bunch of guys we had this year and found a way to win at least 10 games.

It is no suprise how Wofford advanced. When you start four Seniors and a Junior, you are going to get on the court leadership Look at any team that advances in their Conference Tournaments or in the NCAA tourney, they all have Senior leadership. Our Senior leader sitting on the sidelines.

5. Default Re: Wofford Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by GSUCarroll View Post
    It is no suprise how Wofford advanced. When you start four Seniors and a Junior, you are going to get on the court leadership Look at any team that advances in their Conference Tournaments or in the NCAA tourney, they all have Senior leadership. Our Senior leader sitting on the sidelines.

And that would be correct!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Alot of posters on the board use the old tired excuses that we will never be good at basketball becaus we don't have history or the facilities. That we are not a basketball school .........Don't tell that to a Wofford basketball team or its fans.......................
    Wofford had never had a winning D-1 basketball record untill 3 years ago. Now they have 3 in a row. For the 2nd straight year they will be going to the big dance.
    They have old facilities, small budget, and no history. Cong. to Coach Young for making your own history and putting your stamp on the program.
    Benjamin Johnson Arena (Wofford)- Built 1981
    Hanner Fieldhouse (GSU)- Built 1969, renovated 1995

Neither facility is pretty, but Wofford's is probably in better condition. A 3,500 seat arena for 1,500 students or a 4,500 seat arena for 20,000 students? Yikes...