TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #19 JJ Wilcox

Default Re: #19 JJ Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    There was nothing illegal about the block which is why there was no flag.
    LOL at someone on this board saying that because the officials ruled one way, it happened that way. The next time you guys come on here and say "they held the whole damn day" are you going to say "There was nothing illegal about the block which is why there was no flag."?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    JJ made it in front of the player.
    Doesn't matter. Blocks below the waist are illegal on kick returns even if they are from in front. And for the record - that's not a rule change.

Agree that it was a hell of an athletic move by Wilcox, and at live game speed action I can definitely see why the officials passed on it. Could make a case from looking at it live that the block started high and drifted low - which would be legal - but from looking at the replay I've got a low block and a flag unless the block started high and went low. But I will admit the angle I've seen isn't really clear.
    Last edited by GSUAlumniEagle; 5th September 2011 at 02:53 PM.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

Block below the waist would have been a terrible call. I didn't see any part of J.J.'s body touch below the guy's belt after watching and stopping the video several times to check. A part of J.J. may have touched him as he was falling, but there is a difference in touching and blocking. For example, a block in the back could be called on every play if all players had to do to get a penalty was touch another player.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    LOL at someone on this board saying that because the officials ruled one way, it happened that way. The next time you guys come on here and say "they held the whole damn day" are you going to say "There was nothing illegal about the block which is why there was no flag."?

Doesn't matter. Blocks below the waist are illegal on kick returns even if they are from in front. And for the record - that's not a rule change.

Agree that it was a hell of an athletic move by Wilcox, and at live game speed action I can definitely see why the officials passed on it. Could make a case from looking at it live that the block started high and drifted low - which would be legal - but from looking at the replay I've got a low block and a flag unless the block started high and went low. But I will admit the angle I've seen isn't really clear.
    I should have added it was definitely above the waist contact. I knew you would go there JJ hits him any higher and he hits the player in the head. He clipped him on the shoulder, barely in front of him, but in front ... and worked his way down. The other side judge was trailing right behind and was right behind (out of frame) .... looked very clean to me on that end.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    I should have added it was definitely above the waist contact. I knew you would go there JJ hits him any higher and he hits the player in the head. He clipped him on the shoulder, barely in front of him, but in front ... and worked his way down. The other side judge was trailing right behind and was right behind (out of frame) .... looked very clean to me on that end.
    Fair enough. I can only see a side angle and from that angle it's hard to tell but it makes it look like a BBW.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

It was a great block. Would have been a killer to get a flag on that one, because there was no way in hell 45 was going to catch Laron.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    JJ Wilcox is a winner and one of my favorite current players because you can see he works his azz off, plays hard, pays attention to and takes pride in the little things, and is 100% Eagle. I'd take 90 of him, you win big with guys like him.
    Yep. JJ Wilcox plays so hard without the ball. He get's it. He takes care of his assignments so the TEAM can win every play regardless of whether he's getting to touch the ball or not. This team has a lot of guys on it like JJ Wilcox. He's just 1 of the more visible ones. These guys along with good coaching, mechanics as well as "philosophy", are gonna get us back to the top.

It sure is good to see the BIG TEAM/little me attitude is back with this head coach & his staff. JJ Wilcox shows that attitude. He get's it.