TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Tailgating at GSU / Alabama

1. Default Tailgating at GSU / Alabama

I was really really impressed with tailgating at the quad. I sat there looking around and making a list of the things that impressed me. I was trying to figure out how we could incorporate some of those things at GSU.

1. No Cars: Kids could run and play and parents didn't have to worry about a drunk speeding through there hitting a kid. At GSU, I initially thought this could be done at Sweetheart Circle. I still think that would be great, but it's too far from the stadium. what if we closed off all but 1 or 2 rows of the current booster lot? As those trees get bigger, it will resemble the same type open area with no cars. The yearly fee you pay, could be for the tent number and 10 chairs. Something along those lines.

2. Electricity Available: At first that sounds like a wonderful idea, on second thought competing sound systems seems annoying, but after visiting the quad, I saw no problem with it at all. Electricity at your tent brought a new personality to each space. They had everything from 52" HDTV and Satellite running games to Alabama Christmas lights circling the tents. I say thumbs up to that!

3. Tent, chair, cooler rentals: I didn't rent one, but visiting there and seeing made me believe that was the way to do it. Some even have rugs down. That surely lightens the heavy lifting of getting to and from the area each Saturday.

4. Parking: We'd have to find some place to park if we converted our current lot to the same sort of area, but if they can do that with 100K people, we can do it with 20K.

If we were to do something like this and remove all the cars, we could get away with half the space. So could we, should we make half the lot parking only, and the other half no cars tailgating with power?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Default Re: Tailgating at GSU / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by BoroNative View Post
    I was really really impressed with tailgating at the quad. I sat there looking around and making a list of the things that impressed me. I was trying to figure out how we could incorporate some of those things at GSU.

1. No Cars: Kids could run and play and parents didn't have to worry about a drunk speeding through there hitting a kid. At GSU, I initially thought this could be done at Sweetheart Circle. I still think that would be great, but it's too far from the stadium. what if we closed off all but 1 or 2 rows of the current booster lot? As those trees get bigger, it will resemble the same type open area with no cars. The yearly fee you pay, could be for the tent number and 10 chairs. Something along those lines.

2. Electricity Available: At first that sounds like a wonderful idea, on second thought competing sound systems seems annoying, but after visiting the quad, I saw no problem with it at all. Electricity at your tent brought a new personality to each space. They had everything from 52" HDTV and Satellite running games to Alabama Christmas lights circling the tents. I say thumbs up to that!

3. Tent, chair, cooler rentals: I didn't rent one, but visiting there and seeing made me believe that was the way to do it. Some even have rugs down. That surely lightens the heavy lifting of getting to and from the area each Saturday.

4. Parking: We'd have to find some place to park if we converted our current lot to the same sort of area, but if they can do that with 100K people, we can do it with 20K.

If we were to do something like this and remove all the cars, we could get away with half the space. So could we, should we make half the lot parking only, and the other half no cars tailgating with power?

Thoughts? Ideas?
    Power would be a huge asset. The sound of competing music wouldn't be any worse than the sounds of competing generators.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

3. Default Re: Tailgating at GSU / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Seven would be nice View Post
    Power would be a huge asset. The sound of competing music wouldn't be any worse than the sounds of competing generators.
    As I have already stated on here, I tailgate almost every home game on the quad at Alabama. I sometimes make it to a GSU game (actually make it to more away games like Samford and Chattanooga since they are closer). I would LOVE for GSU to have tailgating similar to Alabama's Quad or Mississippi's Grove, but of course on a much smaller scale. You are absolutely right that a major factor in the difference in atmosphere is the absence of cars. Yes, it is a little inconvenient to not be able to "tailgate" out of your truck, but it changes the atmosphere to be more family oriented, like a big picnic in the park. I think it also adds something to be in the "heart" of the campus. I personally think that Sweetheart Circle is not too far away, if shuttle buses were available. Like at Alabama, you could have drop-off time scheduled for 7:00-9:00. After that, no vehicles allowed. After unloading your stuff, you could move your vehicle to one of the campus parking lots. As gametime approaches you would take shuttle buses to Paulson.

Also, as you mention, the electricity adds a lot. I wish y'all could have seen the usual crowd. At night, my tents have lamps with crimson shades on the food tables. Many people have red and white Christmas lights, some have a chandelier. A couple of the larger tents even have a wooden dance floor and a disco ball. People dance for hours after the night games. They are strict, however, about not allowing anything that heats up (crock pots, heaters, etc.) to be plugged in because it will flip breakers. Also, thankfully, no personal generators are allowed on the Quad.

Default Re: Tailgating at GSU / Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaEagle View Post
    People dance for hours after the night games. .
    We were dancing at a tailgate after the game... nice setup under a tent with great music playing... nice folks