TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Atmosphere in Athens

1. Default Atmosphere in Athens

I have to say I am really proud of Georgia Southern after this weekend. Not only the team but the fans as well. First off the team but up a hell of a fight the first half. But the atmosphere in Athens was awesome. As soon as I got there Friday afternoon I heard Georgia Southern chants and it seemed they did not end until the ween hours of Sunday morning. Even walking into the stadium I heard the "Whose House -- Our House" chant. I did not hear too many "Go Dawgs". It felt that we outnumbered them in their own town.

Default Re: Atmosphere in Athens

Well it was the end of the season vs the season opener. Very different atmosphere than in years past. At the time no one knew they'd have a shot at the BCS title game. Pretty dead compared to other games I've been to. Stadium was far from sold out.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

3. Default Re: Atmosphere in Athens

Alot of students had left for holidays. There were quite a few empty seats around the stadium. It was dead compared to most games.

Quote Originally Posted by gregallman View Post
    Alot of students had left for holidays. There were quite a few empty seats around the stadium. It was dead compared to most games.
    Thanksgiving break already started.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

We stayed out till about 4:30 AM Saturday night. I'd estimate that nearly 20% of the people we passed were GSU Fans. Was a pretty fun night. A lot of people chanting HAIL SOUTHERN!

Ran into a couple of ignorants.

6. Default Re: Atmosphere in Athens

Wow I wasnt expecting for yall to give excuses to UGA students. I just thought they were pretty lame and couldnt hang with the big boys. In fact with Auburn and South Carolina being away games this season am thinking that this last weekend was one of the bigger ones in Athens. I'm saying that based on the number of traveling fans and students. I would say the GT game is big but we all know they are a bunch of too-smart book hogs. Finals are coming up and they probbally can't stay out past 9 pm and have to spend 15 hours a day studying

Quote Originally Posted by iidavidii View Post
    I have to say I am really proud of Georgia Southern after this weekend. Not only the team but the fans as well. First off the team but up a hell of a fight the first half. But the atmosphere in Athens was awesome. As soon as I got there Friday afternoon I heard Georgia Southern chants and it seemed they did not end until the ween hours of Sunday morning. Even walking into the stadium I heard the "Whose House -- Our House" chant. I did not hear too many "Go Dawgs". It felt that we outnumbered them in their own town.
    I was actually embarrassed by a certain fan of ours. I was sitting in the 317 section with a buddy and there was some liquored up idiot sitting behind us, who wouldn't shut up the entire game. In a section filled with children, he was the least mature person there. He was obviously trying to provoke a reaction from Dawg fans. It got so bad at one point I turned to the middle-aged couple sitting next to us, both Dawg fans, and told them not to judge us based off of his behavior. Don't get me wrong, I like to talk trash with the best of them, but when you're getting your butt whipped by four touchdowns, sit down and shut up. Aside from the inevitable "Georgia Southern plays at Division II" comment. Most Dawg fans were civil and nice to us. They acknowledged that we got hosed on a couple of those calls and said we were a good team. Please remember you represent your University at the road games.
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post

I was actually embarrassed by a certain fan of ours. I was sitting in the 317 section with a buddy and there was some liquored up idiot sitting behind us, who wouldn't shut up the entire game. In a section filled with children, he was the least mature person there. He was obviously trying to provoke a reaction from Dawg fans. It got so bad at one point I turned to the middle-aged couple sitting next to us, both Dawg fans, and told them not to judge us based off of his behavior. Don't get me wrong, I like to talk trash with the best of them, but when you're getting your butt whipped by four touchdowns, sit down and shut up. Aside from the inevitable "Georgia Southern plays at Division II" comment. Most Dawg fans were civil and nice to us. They acknowledged that we got hosed on a couple of those calls and said we were a good team. Please remember you represent your University at the road games.
    I was in the exact same situation and I apologized to UGA fans around me for this guys actions.

Section 303, row 18, seat 5, wearing an old title hat(in mint condition i might add) from 1989 with 3 titles on it, you sir were an embarrassment. He was two seats next to a little girl and who heard every word said.

I got the Hail Southern chant starter right before kickoff in the 600 section it got pretty loud because when I listened and watched on ESPN3 the next day I could hear it at the beginning of the broadcast!!