TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Championship Football Game Moved From December To January

1. Default Championship Football Game Moved From December To January

CAA bias at its best.

IMHO it is a good move to get the NC away from a Friday night in December . . . people are either viewing high school playoff games, attending office Christmas parties, or visiting relatives pre-Christmas. For FCS to get a Friday night slot and let Div III have prime Saturday afternoon slot just never made sense to me. I also think that having our NC game on BCS eve will allow ESPN to showcase the FCS championship as a "National Championship earned on the football field . . . not by a popularity contest." Also, I think it would be easier for me, personally, to travel in January as opposed to right before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBred View Post
    IMHO it is a good move to get the NC away from a Friday night in December . . . people are either viewing high school playoff games, attending office Christmas parties, or visiting relatives pre-Christmas. For FCS to get a Friday night slot and let Div III have prime Saturday afternoon slot just never made sense to me. I also think that having our NC game on BCS eve will allow ESPN to showcase the FCS championship as a "National Championship earned on the football field . . . not by a popularity contest." Also, I think it would be easier for me, personally, to travel in January as opposed to right before Christmas.
    The problem with that thinking, and this didn't become a problem until after the decision was made, is that ESPN will get the BCS in a few years....so don't expect them to glamorize FCS when the BCS title game is the next night on the same network. Remember the coverage during the 07 title game? The Heisman ceremony was the next night and all they could do was talk about it and even interviewed Tim Tebow by phone during the game...granted it was a blowout, but they definitely weren't doing the game justice.

I kinda wish the BCS was staying on Fox (although I hate their coverage) so that way ESPN could make the FCS Championship game into a marquee game for their coverage at the end of the season.

Great. Now FCS teams get to sit around for a month before playing the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by GSCEagle89 View Post
    Great. Now FCS teams get to sit around for a month before playing the big game.
    And we get an extra month for the weather to get colder and crappier in Chattanooga.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

How many byes are built into a 20 team bracket?
    Letterman. Alum. Booster.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSou93 View Post
    And we get an extra month for the weather to get colder and crappier in Chattanooga.
    I'm not sure they game will be in Chattanooga. See quote from the article.

"The site of the 2010 FCS title game hasn’t been selected."

Guess they are going to pick somewhere warmer. Orlando sounds good to me.
    GOOOOOOOO BLUE!!! ONE MORE TIME!!!!!

Don't hold your breath it's a 2 year commitment to host the game. Can you imagine the lack of crowds in Orlando? There are not FCS teams in that area that draw well.

I like it because it will incorporate a few bye weeks during the season and playoffs. Obviously they won't have a game the week of Christmas. Have you been to a home playoff game Thanksgiving weekend? The students don't show up, each one could have 3 rows to themselves. More students = more attendance = more money for the NCAA's cut of game revenue. Everybody is a winner.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I think it is a good decision. We a get the Football Championship weekend kicking off with the FCS title then the BCS title the next night!
    "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

Dusty Fowler
    I.T./B.Mgmt.
    GSUAF Member
    P69 - Section 108