TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Any chance?

Default Any chance?

Any chance that the Sun Belt goes to 14 or even 16 in the next few years?

If you think so, Is there any chance that we pick up a program in 4 states/markets that are currently missing from the footprint?

If so Who form those states could you see possibly making the cut?

Missing States/Markets:

FL: (FAMU? other?)
    Tenn: (UTC? other?)
    SC: (TheCitadel? SC.State? Furman? other)
    Mississippi: Jackson State(stadium sesats 60,000)? other?

The only reason SC isn't represented is because they don't have any teams that are ready. The Citadel is the closest in my opinion as they have the stadium but they haven't expressed any interest. For Tennessee I think Chattanooga is the best bet as they also have a good sized stadium but also have not shown much interest. For Florida, the popular choice right now is FGCU because of their basketball.

I doubt we would go over 12 because from what I've seen, that's the best number for maximum revenue. Unless some candidates really step up and make it worthwhile, I'd say that we need to stay at 12.
    GSU Alma Mater: Words by Caryl Cain Brown, Music by David Matthew
    "From humble farm beginnings, sprung up from sandy earth, among the tow'ring pine trees, stands a treasure of great worth. Her price cannot be measured, in silver or in gold, but in the love and loyalty, that many hearts enfold. Georgia Southern University. On Eagles wings you soar. We pledge to you our loyalty and love for ever more."

3. Default Re: Any chance?

Pipe dream thread, None of those teams have any business in FBS, they can't even compete in the FCS. The Citadel's fan support is pathetic and the stadium is sub par, especially the visitors side. There are no HBCU's in FBS and I dont see that changing.
    "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

Colin Powell

Default Re: Any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post

If you think so, Is there any chance that we pick up a program in 4 states/markets that are currently missing from the footprint?

Missing States/Markets:

If any of those were to happen I'd be pissed we were spending all this money to move up.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post

Missing States/Markets:

a MS team is the only one that may be considered (location fits SBC footprint), but I don't know anything about J.St.
    FL is tapped out for FBS schools (at least there is no school even remotely ready to move up)
    SC schools are too small and the state couldn't really support anymore FBS schools (unlike Ga which has ample population and talent)
    Tenn: ??? maybe UTC in a few years if another team leaves and we need a replacement.

12 is a good number for football, maybe 14 or 16 total schools for olympics. Which is why I don't understand the NMSU football only and hope its only temporary until a another member for olympics can be found to balance out the divisions.
    Just One More Time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SPT-bone09 View Post
    The only reason SC isn't represented is because they don't have any teams that are ready. The Citadel is the closest in my opinion as they have the stadium but they haven't expressed any interest. For Tennessee I think Chattanooga is the best bet as they also have a good sized stadium but also have not shown much interest. For Florida, the popular choice right now is FGCU because of their basketball.

I doubt we would go over 12 because from what I've seen, that's the best number for maximum revenue. Unless some candidates really step up and make it worthwhile, I'd say that we need to stay at 12.
    This is pretty much what I think except I know nothing about FGCU. What is their enrollment? Any interest in football?

I agree that 12 might max the $ per conference member UNLESS the new program were to bring new markets and so up the $ payout for a TV contract. (Besides I figure Idaho is a temp member and maybe even NMSU) Even though we know Liberty and Jacksonville State want to move - we already have teams in those markets. There just doesnt seem to be any good choices in the FCS ranks that bring more potential $ via new markets. I know nothing of Jackson State either except that their Stadium seats 60,000 and they are an HBCU. I do know that FAMU expressed interest a few years back about going FBS. The Citadel has put a lot of $ into their stadium and could do more. IF the conference goes to 14 or 16 (something that Benson seemed to hint at a possiblity of) I'd hope it would bring in new markets. Losing both FL schools was a probable big hit to a new TV deal. I was just wondering if anyone here had any other suggestions that might bring in those holes in the conference footprint map.

Don't know if there is an interest there, but Southern Illinois would not be a bad fit. Academics, size, facilities all are right in line with the Sun Belt. The Football stadium would need expanding, but it is a very nice facility. Basketball is good and it is geographically close to Ark. State. http://www.siusalukis.com/facilities...s-stadium.html

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    If any of those were to happen I'd be pissed we were spending all this money to move up.
    Excellent comment. It inspired me to add a thread. Our move to FBS reminds me of when we moved from College to University status. We paid out big money to add programs and majors, upgrade facilities, etc in effort to apply for University status. And once we were deemed worthy and allowed to join the ranks of UGA and GT... The state went and opened the flood gates, and pretty much renamed any 4 yr institution to University. It really seemed unfair.

I hope this "moving up to FBS" does not go down that path.
    Last edited by Chris Eagle; 3rd April 2013 at 04:45 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FLA-EAGLE1 View Post
    Don't know if there is an interest there, but Southern Illinois would not be a bad fit. Academics, size, facilities all are right in line with the Sun Belt. The Football stadium would need expanding, but it is a very nice facility. Basketball is good and it is geographically close to Ark. State. http://www.siusalukis.com/facilities...s-stadium.html
    I don't know why they aren't mentioned more. Carbondale is very similar to Statesboro (size wise)