TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Coach Orlando Mitjans, Jr.

Default Coach Orlando Mitjans, Jr.

Coach Mitjans was our speaker at our Savannah Eagle Club lunch yesterday. It's the first time we've had him in front of our group and I for one was impressed. He has an extensive coaching resume and is well spoken. He made several comments about how loaded the offense is this coming year. Unlike a lot of previous coach/speakers in the past, he didn't go through the entire depth chart and talk about each player in detail. He did speak a little about McKinnon and what a great year he is expected to have. He may still be moved around some depending upon the progress of the other QB's. Nardo Govan will play on the offensive side of the ball, though I think Coach Mitjans would love to put him on the D-line or at linebacker.

He spoke highly of Westbrooks at CB and the progress he has made. He thinks he should have a standout year as a senior. Cooper should also have a great year at CB. Of course filling the shoes of Brent Russell is a high priority on defense as well.

Our new kicker from NJ will arrive this weekend. He just graduated from high school this week because of their late scheduling up there. He has been participating in online courses so that his participation in the summer b-term is a-ok. He will get his physical on Sunday and be ready to participate with the team on Monday.

He also told a funny story about his time at Arkansas as a player with Lou Holtz as his head coach - I won't recount it here because I couldn't do it justice. His defensive co-ordinator at Arkansas was Monty Kifen, and his position coach was Pete Carrol, so he's been around some knowledgeable professionals.

I also had the privelege of dropping him off at the car dealership in Savannah so that he could pick up his new program car. He was working his phone most of the trip on recruiting calls. He loves living down here (he's from the Bronx), and more importantly so does his wife Claire!!
    "It's supposed to be fun, the man says 'Play ball!', not 'Work ball!' you know" - Willie Stargell

Rick Bean
    BBA Management
    Class of 1981

Default Re: Coach Orlando Mitjans, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebean View Post
    He also told a funny story about his time at Arkansas as a player with Lou Holtz as his head coach
    I wondered how we managed to get Lou to do that student vote video for us.

A fellow Bronxite.

Quote Originally Posted by McEagle View Post
    A fellow Bronxite.
    McEagle, don't tell everything you know!(smile)., You "bomber" you!

I thought the coach did a really good job yesterday, also.