TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it called a transition?

1. Default Why is it called a transition?

What is GSU changing to get ready for the move up to the FBS? They are playing the same old SoCon Schedule. A new schedule won't be put in place until next year. I feel they should have been allowed to play for the SoCon Championship. Why does it take two years to make the change. With nothing to play for it's no reason they can't win. I don't think their hearts are in it this year. It is what it is. Better things next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsoringeagle View Post
    What is GSU changing to get ready for the move up to the FBS? They are playing the same old SoCon Schedule. A new schedule won't be put in place until next year. I feel they should have been allowed to play for the SoCon Championship. Why does it take two years to make the change. With nothing to play for it's no reason they can't win. I don't think their hearts are in it this year. It is what it is. Better things next year.
    Talk to Marshall.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Default Re: Why is it called a transition?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsoringeagle View Post
    We were allowed to increase our scholarship limit this year, giving us an advantage over other FCS schools.

I understand why they don't let us participate in the post season this year, but the head scratcher for me why they don't let us play in post season in 2014/FBS. If we qualify while not being 100% scholarship limit, why punish us?
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Flag View Post
    We were allowed to increase our scholarship limit this year, giving us an advantage over other FCS schools.

I understand why they don't let us participate in the post season this year, but the head scratcher for me why they don't let us play in post season in 2014/FBS. If we qualify while not being 100% scholarship limit, why punish us?
    Well, technically we can play in a bowl in 2014, but lots of things would have to take place for that to happen. It's a deal with there not being enough 6-6 bowl eligible teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Kumpstein View Post
    Talk to Marshall.
    The more I've thought about the whole "Marshall rule", the less it seems to make sense.

Did Marshall go 15-0 because they had a small scholarship advantage for a single season or was it because they had arguably one of the best QB/WR duos of any college team ever and about a half dozen starters that eventually made it into the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Did Marshall go 15-0 because they had a small scholarship advantage for a single season or was it because they had arguably one of the best QB/WR duos of any college team ever and about a half dozen starters that eventually made it into the NFL?
    Yes

The more I've thought about the whole "Marshall rule", the less it seems to make sense.

The biggest thing is they loaded up on 1-A transfers who didn't have to sit out a year, thus it gave them an unfair advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The biggest thing is they loaded up on 1-A transfers who didn't have to sit out a year, thus it gave them an unfair advantage.
    I doubt IA transfers really tipped the scale and made that '96 Marshall team into the machine that it was. You just can't build an FCS power out of IA transfers. Sure you will get some Dakota Walkers and Nate Gates' from major NFL teams but many times you are getting second and third string players from less talented IA/FBS teams.

And even if I'm wrong, why not just make FBS transfers to transitioning FCS teams ineligible for the year and not just completely remove any chance at postseason?

I doubt IA transfers really tipped the scale and made that '96 Marshall team into the machine that it was. You just can't build an FCS power out of IA transfers. Sure you will get some Dakota Walkers and Nate Gates' from major NFL teams but many times you are getting second and third string players from less talented IA/FBS teams.

And even if I'm wrong, why not just make FBS transfers to transitioning FCS teams ineligible for the year and not just completely remove any chance at postseason?
    Anyone who transfers after the transition starts IS ineligible, we've encountered that already. They do both.

Uh . . . Randy Moss was a transfer.