TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Press Conference Thread

Default Re: Press Conference Thread

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I'm not comparing him to either of those coaches. I'm saying I got spoiled along with the rest of us that graduated during the dominant years. I felt like we were getting much closer than we have been in a long time and prefer not to go back to the dark ages. I don't expect to be in big bowl games, I just don't want to be a confident W for someone else. All we ever ran was the option, all but 4 or 5 years. It's pretty difficult to imagine being successful with something else. Hatcher was as close as we got, but he was a joke.
    And Youngstown State, App State, and NDSU proved that you absolutely 100% can't dominate with another offense at the FCS level. I mean what were they thinking winning 10 titles running any offense not the TO? I mean look at all those titles Sewak and Stowers won. I am sorry to don't feel confident that we can't be a BCS buster, I do. It takes a great coach.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I'm not comparing him to either of those coaches. I'm saying I got spoiled along with the rest of us that graduated during the dominant years. I felt like we were getting much closer than we have been in a long time and prefer not to go back to the dark ages. I don't expect to be in big bowl games, I just don't want to be a confident W for someone else. All we ever ran was the option, all but 4 or 5 years. It's pretty difficult to imagine being successful with something else. Hatcher was as close as we got, but he was a joke.
    PJs version was different from Erks, Sewaks version was different from PJs, Monkens was different from Sewaks. SHSU's is just the next evolution of the offense with a proven winner.

And E22 - you know what I meant, we were both curb stomped by NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    And Youngstown State, App State, and NDSU proved that you absolutely 100% can't dominate with another offense at the FCS level. I mean what were they thinking winning 10 titles running any offense not the TO? I mean look at all those titles Sewak and Stowers won. I am sorry to don't feel confident that we can't be a BCS buster, I do. It takes a great coach.
    Don't forget that AWESOME OOC and bowl record that the supposed Option Master has at the FBS level!!

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    yep unless your running the old pro set, EVERY body is running the option, even a # of NFL teams.(smile)
    No, I meant he runs a legit Triple Option, dive man, pitch man, the whole nine yards. Or 3 yards and a cloud of dust if you prefer.

Think about it - he is coming from a successful system that utilized the option, into a program that has it's tradition built on the option, interviewed and hired by TK who has publicly said the candidate must respect the option...why in the world do our fans think he's gonna do anything other than some form of option?? I hope our fans/alumni are smarter than that.

Sent from my iPhone

Cold hard truth, I'm scared of being a non threat nobody that we were during the Hatcher years and especially BVG. This guy deserves a chance, sure, but the I consider So Con to be a bigger stage than where SHSU is. I'm just not impressed.
    By that logic there would be only a handful of "qualified coaches". You do realize that many of the best coaches started at small schools?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    yep unless your running the old pro set, EVERY body is running the option, even a # of NFL teams.(smile)
    Yep, and for those who will say the triple is better than a read option play, well Kaepernick ran a triple play out of the shotgun last week.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU2011fan View Post
    By that logic there would be only a handful of "qualified coaches". You do realize that many of the best coaches started at small schools?
    First jobs:
    Nick Saban Kent State.
    Bear Bryant Union (TN).
    Bobby Bowden Howard (AL).
    Urban Meyer High School.

Coaching is definitely a profession where you have to pay your dues.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    No, I meant he runs a legit Triple Option, dive man, pitch man, the whole nine yards. Or 3 yards and a cloud of dust if you prefer.

Think about it - he is coming from a successful system that utilized the option, into a program that has it's tradition built on the option, interviewed and hired by TK who has publicly said the candidate must respect the option...why in the world do our fans think he's gonna do anything other than some form of option?? I hope our fans/alumni are smarter than that.

Sent from my iPhone
    I wouldn't go that far . . . he has the play in his playbook, but it's a stretch to compare our old one with his. Nevertheless, if we were ever going to 'transition' away, this guy seems to straddle the line if it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    First jobs:
    Nick Saban Kent State.
    Bear Bryant Union (TN).
    Bobby Bowden Howard (AL).
    Urban Meyer High School.

Coaching is definitely a profession where you have to pay your dues.
    Coach Garns GSU(one day), was told he could come back anytime but not to coach.

I watched Oklahoma run a 3O play out of the gun for a decent game from the nosebleeds a week ago. Shame that option football is so antiquated.