TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #124 - Georgia Southern (Orlando Sentinel)

Default Re: #124 - Georgia Southern (Orlando Sentinel)

I wonder where they'll rank ODU

Ohio St just 2 years ago finished with a perfect record in a meaningless season, no BG1 title game, no Rose Bowl, no BCS hopes. Why did our coaches fail to motivate our teams? Who was on probation about 10 years ago that went 11-0 in a BCS conference? Didn't that happen or am I making that up?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Ohio St just 2 years ago finished with a perfect record in a meaningless season, no BG1 title game, no Rose Bowl, no BCS hopes. Why did our coaches fail to motivate our teams? Who was on probation about 10 years ago that went 11-0 in a BCS conference? Didn't that happen or am I making that up?
    And the plot thickens.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN

Quote Originally Posted by SPT-bone09 View Post
    It's fair considering we have so much unknown going into this season. We're coming off a 7-4 record with flashes of greatness as well as flashes of terrible. Not only are we going through transition and will be playing an entirely different set of teams but we also have a new coach and offensive scheme. I don't expect much credit coming to us before the season starts but I just hope we still aren't getting rankings like this after the season.
    +1

So many unknowns for us going into the year and add the fact that 1-aa success means very little to I-A fans and writers, I'm not surprised we're that low in this publication.

I'm 100% ok with the #124 ranking. A 7-4 FCS team joining the FBS ranks shouldn't get put much higher (even though through our blue colored lenses we know we are better than that).

Yep, but most of our athletes were not competing on national TV every week for an opportunity to play in the NFL.
    Last edited by ToastyGS; 23rd April 2014 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    It's a pretty fair assessment. I was expecting some residual butthurt from what is essentially U of F's hometown paper.
    Yup... and the OS's quality of CFB coverage went way down when Bill Buchalter retired. I live 15 miles from their HQ and don't even read it.

There are differences between the situation at OSU and for Georgia Southern and App. Ohio State wasn't transitioning into a new subdivision or conference where they will not have the talent advantage they had previously. They have a big-name coach with two BCS titles under his belt coming to coach them.

I'm not questioning the motivation of players from either team. I am questioning that both coaches were willing to experiment or take chances in ways they wouldn't be willing to do on a normal season.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

8. Default Re: #124 - Georgia Southern (Orlando Sentinel)

If I'm ranking all of the teams and have no ties to Georgia Southern, I would have a hard time putting us any higher than that. We are in our first year of FBS, we have a new coach, we finished 4th in a mediocre SoCon, and App St took us to the woodshed. If not for the UF win we are probably one spot ahead of Georgia State. If we finish the year at 124 I will be disappointed, but I have a hard time believing we don't finish higher than that.

9. Default Re: #124 - Georgia Southern (Orlando Sentinel)

Motivation wasn't the problem. But that was one injury-riddled team last year. And then there's the prospect that maybe we weren't that good to start with. Beating the crap out of two tomato cans to start the season didn't do anything to temper the expectations. Once you get that first L, that goal of running through the conference undefeated goes by the wayside and you can kinda figure one or two more Ls are coming. Plus, you had to figure we were going to get everybody's best shot, too. Still, that was a pretty fired up bunch in Gainesville to end the season.

Maybe there were several interacting problems last year...motivation, injuries, inconsistent offensive coaching, defensive secondary breakdowns. Also the emotional feeling changed, if impressions gained from a spectator's distance can be trusted. Jerick interviewed back at in Monken's season 1 was all enthusiastic about the "brotherhood" on the team, saying Monken "tells us he loves us every day." Last season, it did not feel like that. We know there was some bad acting going on among some of the players, not all. Monken seemed more grim on the sideline all season long. Maybe he didn't like having the playoffs and possibility of a championship suddenly removed and not his decision. Maybe overall he wasn't feelin' the love quite the same way. Just speculation, but that's how it felt to me.

Therefore I think things turned out well. Monken going to Army turns out to be good for Monken, good for Army, good for Fritz, and good for GSU. It's great Fritz's honeymoon year will coincide with our introduction to the SB. Right now the love seems to be flowing again ("a player's coach"). Maybe we have an unexpectedly great year and Garns is right that Fritz gets picked off by a major program in a few years. I don't want to lose a great coach, but that would mean he was very successful here.