TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #1 in Rushing... but other stats just as interesting

Quote Originally Posted by parr90 View Post
    I hope Idahos OL isn't as good as they were in 1990. They were very good then. Best I ever faced. Be hard for them to match that one.
    They were awesome in the passing game then too. I believe their tight end caught a Paulson record passes that day. Something like 18. Escaped with the W but barely!
    Aaron Stone
    GS Alum & Class of '95
    Health/PE Degree
    gsufans.com Donor
    gsufans.com member since 2007
    Sugar Hill, GA

Default Re: #1 in Rushing... but other stats just as interesting

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    One thread: Idaho has given up no sacks all year
    Another thread: Idaho got sacked all the time in the first half
    It's GSUFANS! We can argue any point. Even the uniforms. One said the helmet was too shiney, and the other said they didn't like the Matte finish.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    They were awesome in the passing game then too. I believe their tight end caught a Paulson record passes that day. Something like 18. Escaped with the W but barely!
    Yup, they dinged us to death that game.

And the TE's last catch was the biggest play of the game, IIRC.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Their QB played a pretty good while in the NFL IIRC.

Yep, John Friesz played for the Chargers
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

I remember that game. I even have an amateur tape of it. I was in the stands with a video camera and extra batteries.

Reviewing this past Saturday's Idaho game, the OL and DL appear to be their weak spots. They are a decent team otherwise, but they couldn't protect their quarterback (another coach's son, like Appy's). On defense they were ripped for three long runs that resembled Matt Breida's three long TD runs for us...except the Texas State guy did all three in one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Yep, John Friesz played for the Chargers
    Doug Nussmeier was the QB in 1990 for Idaho. He played for the Saints for a few years too.

EDIT: Actually, it was Steve Nolan who was the QB for Idaho that lit it up in 1990.
    Last edited by GaSouFan6; 8th October 2014 at 12:32 PM.

The thread about slow starts had this post about "other stats just as interesting"...

Originally Posted by Klak
    Here's a few more random stats that I found interesting.

3.3 punts/game - easily the fewest in conference and #7 nationally... Alabama is #1 (2.2/gm)

3.8 penalties/game - fewest in the conference tied with NMSU and #6 nationally... Navy and ODU(!) are #1 (3.2/gm)

+1/game turnover margin - best in the conference and #17 nationally... Temple is #1 (+2.5/gm)

Earlier I mentioned we've given up the most 10+ yard plays (96) but the fewest 30+ yard plays (7) in the conference. To show how effective our offense has been, we've gained the most 10+ yarders (92) AND the most 20+ (39), 30+ (22), 40+ (13), 50+ (8), and 60+ (5). Every category from 20+ to 60+ is in the top 6 nationally. Explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    The thread about slow starts had this post about "other stats just as interesting"...

Originally Posted by Klak
    Here's a few more random stats that I found interesting.

3.3 punts/game - easily the fewest in conference and #7 nationally... Alabama is #1 (2.2/gm)

3.8 penalties/game - fewest in the conference tied with NMSU and #6 nationally... Navy and ODU(!) are #1 (3.2/gm)

+1/game turnover margin - best in the conference and #17 nationally... Temple is #1 (+2.5/gm)

Earlier I mentioned we've given up the most 10+ yard plays (96) but the fewest 30+ yard plays (7) in the conference. To show how effective our offense has been, we've gained the most 10+ yarders (92) AND the most 20+ (39), 30+ (22), 40+ (13), 50+ (8), and 60+ (5). Every category from 20+ to 60+ is in the top 6 nationally. Explosive.

That's amazing. Is there a "Stat Bowl"?