TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Starts

Default Slow Starts

I'm very pleased this year with the in game adjustments we are making, especially at the half, but good grief we start slow on both offense and defense other than NC State and SSU. Seriously had NMSU not shot themselves in the foot in the first half, the deficit may have been too great to overcome. Heck, the first half they had over 300 yards of offense and for most of the half they looked like Alabama minus the mistakes they made. We can't keep starting slow. It killed us with Tech, almost bit us with App had they not made some costly mistakes. Same with South Alabama, fortunately they seemed to shoot themselves in the foot on offense until we got going.. Eventually the slow starts are going to get us again. I just wonder what we could do differently. Is it a scouting issue or are other teams preparing differently than we scout? What do yall think? The remainder of the season is still tough and Idaho and Gagstate can put up some points if we aren't ready. I just don't want us to get in too deep of a hole especially with gagstate. This will be their superbowl and they will be chomping at the bit to get a piece of us. I just hope we can figure it out so we can whip them from the get-go.

Default Re: Slow Starts

The bye week will likely help us there. We're about the only team in the conference without a bye at this point I think. The guys need some rest, it's been a tough season so far with a lot of emotional ups and downs and a lot of physical play.

Most of our problems are just plain failure to execute. Missed blocks/dropped passes/bad reads/etc. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I'm very pleased this year with the in game adjustments we are making, especially at the half, but good grief we start slow on both offense and defense other than NC State and SSU. Seriously had NMSU not shot themselves in the foot in the first half, the deficit may have been too great to overcome. Heck, the first half they had over 300 yards of offense and for most of the half they looked like Alabama minus the mistakes they made. We can't keep starting slow. It killed us with Tech, almost bit us with App had they not made some costly mistakes. Same with South Alabama, fortunately they seemed to shoot themselves in the foot on offense until we got going.. Eventually the slow starts are going to get us again. I just wonder what we could do differently. Is it a scouting issue or are other teams preparing differently than we scout? What do yall think? The remainder of the season is still tough and Idaho and Gagstate can put up some points if we aren't ready. I just don't want us to get in too deep of a hole especially with gagstate. This will be their superbowl and they will be chomping at the bit to get a piece of us. I just hope we can figure it out so we can whip them from the get-go.
    I think we start quick this week on both sides of ball, I would LOVE a nice relaxing blow out this week!

The Texas state game is going to be one where they need to come out on all cylinders. It's at their house and we already have had a rough road schedule as it is. Our boys are hanging tough and getting the job done though

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The bye week will likely help us there. We're about the only team in the conference without a bye at this point I think. The guys need some rest, it's been a tough season so far with a lot of emotional ups and downs and a lot of physical play.

Most of our problems are just plain failure to execute. Missed blocks/dropped passes/bad reads/etc. It happens.
    +1 on the bye week, get through this week with win then get rested up, healed up and then ready to go the rest of the way.

Sure seems to be a lot of foot-shooting by our opponents of late. Maybe our defense has something to do with it?

Maybe simply trying to beat us by dink and dunk isn't quite as easy as it sounds?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Sure seems to be a lot of foot-shooting by our opponents of late. Maybe our defense has something to do with it?

Maybe simply trying to beat us by dink and dunk isn't quite as easy as it sounds?
    I don't know?, to me we seem a lot quicker on D this season and we have depth in the secondary. I like our 2 deep and how the talent allows for some guys to get breathers during game. A few games ago Dobson was out for a couple of series, I'm in stands thinking "Oh no, #7 is injured", nope, just getting a breather for 2 series. That is nice to see and the coaches appear to be pushing the right buttons.

So much this. We are ranked 76th in Defensive YPG, but 29th in Defensive PPG. Our defense is structured to create turnovers and make stops in the Red Zone. It's working.

Sure seems to be a lot of foot-shooting by our opponents of late. Maybe our defense has something to do with it? Maybe simply trying to beat us by dink and dunk isn't quite as easy as it sounds?
    Yep. The more plays you make a spread passing attack make the better the numbers are for the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAlum View Post
    So much this. We are ranked 76th in Defensive YPG, but 29th in Defensive PPG. Our defense is structured to create turnovers and make stops in the Red Zone. It's working.
    I'd like to believe that, I would, but NMSU ran up and down the field the first half and should have scored 28 before the half. Turnovers did them in just as dropped passes did USA in. Like I said, I love the in game adjustments, just wish they weren't necessary.