TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a realistic goal for our basketball program?

1. Default What is a realistic goal for our basketball program?

Face it-- we do not have one of the better facilities for basketball in the Southern Conference. Hanner is probably one of the worst 3 basketball venues in the conference.

Obviously we are not putting big bucks into basketball and we probably never will.

With that said, I see no reason we can't do better in basketball that we have. We have recruited over the past years some very good players.

So this is my question--- What is a realistic goal for our basketball program--- Have winning seasons, Win the SoCon South division, go to the NCAA tourney, or what?

My goal would simply be this-- to be in the top 4 in the SoCon most years and get to the semis of the conference tournament at least half of the time.

Those aren't really big time ambitious goals, but we have to start somewhere and there is only 1 way to go after this year.

Other thoughts?

Average 18-20 wins a season. Make a few deep runs in the SoCon tourney when we have the 1 or 2 seed. Make the NCAA's once every 6 years.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I would agree with you. At this time, with our facility being as bad as it is, I would say a realistic goal is to try and finish every season with a winning record and make the top 4 in the conference...perhaps even go deep into the conference tourney every once in a while...winning it might be a stretch, but it can be done.

Next year we should win the SoCon, get into March Madness and get beat in the Sweet 16 by South Dakota State.
    Not really, but I think that the coach coming in will have a good recruiting class and returning players. I do expect 18-20 wins next year. Not any reason not to believe we can do that.

What is so bad about Hanner? It's a great place to watch a game and can be intimidating with the right kind of crowd. I haven't seen the locker rooms, but didn't Mike Curry have them redone several years ago. We need a new arena, but Hanner is not that bad. Well after I thought about it, Hanner is in need of a new sound system and the lighting needs to be improved. I would like to see us be at the top of the conference every year.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES35 View Post
    Next year we should win the SoCon, get into March Madness and get beat in the Sweet 16 by South Dakota State.
    Not really, but I think that the coach coming in will have a good recruiting class and returning players. I do expect 18-20 wins next year. Not any reason not to believe we can do that.

Better watch those recruits who committed under Coach Price. They may never show up.

Besides, I see a few leaving the program because of the current situation.

OH!! Look for the years after Coach Kerns. Not many wins and an empty gym.
    Birds Fly in Flocks,<br />Eagles Soar Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by 2blu View Post
    What is so bad about Hanner? It's a great place to watch a game and can be intimidating with the right kind of crowd. I haven't seen the locker rooms, but didn't Mike Curry have them redone several years ago. We need a new arena, but Hanner is not that bad. Well after I thought about it, Hanner is in need of a new sound system and the lighting needs to be improved. I would like to see us be at the top of the conference every year.

Hanner is a dump. If not the worst arena in the Socon, certainly in the bottom 2 or 3.

What is so bad about it?

IMO a realistic goal would be 20 wins, SoCon regular season title, SoCon Tourney title, and win a first round NCAA playoff game.

Expectations are a different thing. I would say 17-20 wins should be expected, a first round bye in the tournament, and a deep run in the conference tournament with a win every 5 years or so.

I don't buy the fact that Hanner hampers our chances of winning. The goals in Hanner are 10' high, the foul line is 15', and the court is 94' ("Strap put Olie on your shoulders"). It can actually be an asset because when the place is rocking it can be a tough place to play. A good coach is going to win whether his team is playing in Phillips Arena or on the outdoor courts at Lake Meyer.

What we need is more money.

10. Default

I think people would be shocked at what some modern brick would do to Hanner.

Would be a nice facelift and could be cost effective with the price of brick and labor right now.

Now who wants to pony up the cash?