TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How should GSU get students excited about football?

The biggest problem with developing a pride and tradition among students is that most have not grown up going to games at Southern and just don't have that passion ingrained like a lot of older more established programs. I didn't follow Southern until my fresman year.

I agree that word of mouth is a great way to advertise the program. While I don't think I will be able to create hardcore fans of most people I talk to, I can at least create interest in GSU.

For example, many people in my family graduated from Tech and they have been Tech fans their whole lives, so I always assumed that they didn't want to see a GSU game. I simply asked them if they would be interested in seeing a GSU game and most of them said "yes" and will be attending the App St. game in October. While this may not seem like a big deal, it's a start. It will get other people talking about GSU football, which is what we need.

As far as the students go, I would advertise more. I don't recall seeing any advertisements for games (even playoffs) the entire time I was at GSU. Even the emails that I get now don't get my attention. I realize that email is an inexpensive way to get information out to people, but I believe more people will response to standard mailings or even postcards. Right now, you have to search for or be on the lookout for information, if you want to find it. I think the advertising of GSU has improved over the past couple of years, but it still has a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinEagle View Post
    Get this..........

Myself, Wife and Son are at orientation this summer...our guide knows that my son is going to be playing Football...while on the tour my wife asks "what are Football game days like"...and the guide says with much emotion..."I don't really go to the Games"

Really...and you were chosen as an Ambassador of our school?
    I think if you are going to be a GSU Student Ambassador (there is such a thing) then you should be knowledgeable enough about ALL sports at GSU to tell recruits and new students about the game day atmosphere. I'm not really a big basketball fan, but I can tell you what the game day atmosphere in Hanner is like--It's GRRRREATTTT!

Our Orientation experience this summer was really good, they even had a breakout session entitled GSU Football 101--What every fan should know. Maybe they could incorporate that information into the Orientation class.

I was refering to SOUR...the program was well done...but I just was taken back by his answer..."I don"t really go to the games"

Quote Originally Posted by MaconEagle View Post
    The biggest problem with developing a pride and tradition among students is that most have not grown up going to games at Southern and just don't have that passion ingrained like a lot of older more established programs. I didn't follow Southern until my fresman year.
    Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Gsueagle9788 View Post
    I don't know who all from this board was at the Cartel/Yung Joc concert tonight in the boro, but I was so pumped at the amount of times the Georgia....Southern chant got started, and even Yung Joc started chanting it with the crowd at one point
    I didn't stay. My girlfriend came into town and I had to meet up with her. This is puzzling though. What makes it so easy to do with him, but so tough to do with the band and cheerleaders? Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Maybe they were all freshman and don't know the GSU scramble or fight song?
    The cheerleaders told them when to say the letters. I'll cut them slack on the fight song.

Quote Originally Posted by MaconEagle View Post
    I was the same way. I started following GT in 2002. I came to GSU in 2006, and had never heard of GSU football until then. I asked my roommate (1 year older than me), "Are they any good?" He told me we had more natl champs than any other school, and I was blown away. I went to my first game against Cent Conn. St. and was hooked (even with the bad outcome)

Quote Originally Posted by DestinEagle View Post
    I was refering to SOUR...the program was well done...but I just was taken back by his answer..."I don"t really go to the games"
    SOAR....unless that was a tic comment.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Love the avatar. What kind of tree's you got there?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    Love the avatar. What kind of tree's you got there?
    Not my picture, but the tips look like Hardimans.

I forgot to mention, one of the male cheerleaders was leading a GATA cheer.

He told them it meant "Get after them aggressively"

I almost puked.

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    I forgot to mention, one of the male cheerleaders was leading a GATA cheer.

He told them it meant "Get after them aggressively"

I almost puked.
    I believe that is what Erk told the media it meant, even tho it had an alternate meaning.