TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPNU night game in Boone

1. Default Re: ESPNU night game in Boone

I don't think the lighting at the stadium is the problem. I was sitting on the 42 yd line on the field house side. The lights across the field were so bright to me that I commented to my wife that anyone who did not have a cap with a visor like I did would have a problem. I would suppose the ESPN cameras had that same problem. Adding more lights would not solve that problem.

As long as my visor shielded my eyes from the direct glare of the lights across the field, I thought the field was illuminated brightly.

As to the crowd noise, I can tell you this was the loudest game at Kidd Brewer in a very long time (perhaps the Miracle on the Mountain game w/ Furman in 2001 rivaled it). I have heard others complain that ESPN's microphones on the field did not work well until about the 3rd quarter or so. I have not heard the sound on the broadcast of the game yet, but in the stands, it was loud and it was electric.

As to the scoreboard, we have been complaining about that all season. It was functioning better this game than any other this year. It's improved some, but I still don't like it.

2. Default Re: ESPNU night game in Boone

Quote Originally Posted by AppAlum1 View Post
    I don't think the lighting at the stadium is the problem. I was sitting on the 42 yd line on the field house side. The lights across the field were so bright to me that I commented to my wife that anyone who did not have a cap with a visor like I did would have a problem. I would suppose the ESPN cameras had that same problem. Adding more lights would not solve that problem.

As long as my visor shielded my eyes from the direct glare of the lights across the field, I thought the field was illuminated brightly.

As to the crowd noise, I can tell you this was the loudest game at Kidd Brewer in a very long time (perhaps the Miracle on the Mountain game w/ Furman in 2001 rivaled it). I have heard others complain that ESPN's microphones on the field did not work well until about the 3rd quarter or so. I have not heard the sound on the broadcast of the game yet, but in the stands, it was loud and it was electric.

As to the scoreboard, we have been complaining about that all season. It was functioning better this game than any other this year. It's improved some, but I still don't like it.
    I think ESPN is very inconsistent with on field microphone placement in G5 games. Being at Paulson during recent games which are packed to the brim, it's very loud. But whenever I go to re watch the game on ESPN3, it's not noticeable at all. I thought ESPNU would be done a better job but I guess not

3. Default Re: ESPNU night game in Boone

When the Athletics Center was built in 2008 lighting was upgraded to LED bulbs to support Hi Definition broadcasts. At that time KBS was one of a handful of plug-n-play football stadiums in the country where the TV production trailers can literally plug into the building and broadcast in Hi Definition.

Default Re: ESPNU night game in Boone

Couple of things:

Very nice turnout by App (didn't expect less) but it wasn't the loudest ASU-Georgia Southern crowd I've ever witnessed in person, and I've been to plenty. Probably due to the fact that after they went up 17-7 the game was never in doubt.

Lighting ... yes, there is very good lighting in the center but even with LED bulbs it must be something about how they have them angled. The sides were a full 2 stops low and I pretty much gave up shooting across the field when the teams got inside the 30's.

I'd suspect it's a little bit of egg on ESPN + some opportunity to dial in the lighting a little bit. There is plenty of light, it just needs some work on the distribution. There probably is 1.5 times the light banks at Kidd-Brewer that we have at Paulson (and yes last year for that game we had the 5th light standard trucked in).
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Not sure why but I thought it was even louder in 2013 when we played there than on Thursday. It was loud but nothing like what I've experienced there before.

Liberty and kennesaw looks good on espn3 right now. We've always looked extremely dark on tv