TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 188 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 COACHING SEARCH

1. Default Re: COACHING CANDIDATES

Beau Baldwin would get the job done no doubt

Default Re: COACHING CANDIDATES

Quote Originally Posted by EagleNationRising View Post
    Promote McGhee. Pay Ruse a little extra to stay. Continue on track.
    McGee appears vastly underqualified for such a job, based on his experience (1 yr as 'analyst', 1.5 yrs as RB coach)

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    How is his resume that much different than Fritz's sucess multiple levels of football with no FBS HC experience. Winning at CSU is more impressive to me than at SHSU for sure.
    Fritz has taken a long and winding road and has had almost nothing but success

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Anybody but a flexbone coach. That offense inhales vigorously.
    Ha! I'm sure there will no controversy about seeking flexbone coaches exclusively or seeking non-flexbone coaches exclusively

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    I agree with that. I just think it's a bit much to rule someone out because their highest role is an FBS assistant coach.
    There's an assistant coach and then there's an assistant coach. And then there's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    I wonder if the Delta State fanbase feels the same? It will be fun to see where we are a year from now.
    I think most of them would get a DIVII job in po dunk Mississippi is not the ultimate goal of any coach. I could be wrong. Any coach we get after Fritz would take the CSU job over Delta State mid year much less waiting until the end of the year. Also any coach we get after Fritz would leave after year one for any job Fritz takes next.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    I think most of them would get a DIVII job in po dunk Mississippi is not the ultimate goal of any coach. I could be wrong. Any coach we get after Fritz would take the CSU job over Delta State mid year much less waiting until the end of the year. Also any coach we get after Fritz would leave after year one for any job Fritz takes next.
    I'm not sure that's the case. Delta State has been a power in D-II.

If they're anything like, say, Valdosta State, then I'm not sure that Charleston Southern would be a better job. Seriously, look at their average attendance.

From the outside looking in, he appears to have Vangordered Delta State.

But I wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    Had a feeling this was coming. Iowa State is an ok job, not a great one, not completely hopeless either. Obviously they can pay Fritz more money than we can, that's just what it is. Good luck to him if he does go. As far as a replacement goes there are a few options.

Hire internally:
    -Dell McGee - not yet, very limited experience
    -Doug Ruse - would he stay? Is he HC material? Does he want to be HC?
    -Jack Curtis - see above

Get someone off the Triple Option Coaching Tree:
    -Ivin Jasper, Navy OC - already makes decent money, interviewed before (twice?), would he even bother again?
    -Brian Bohannon, Kennesaw St HC - GSU ties, limited experience at HC
    -Bryan Cook, GT OC - he's not the OC, he's a position coach
    -Paul Johnson (long shot, only if GT fires him) - Ha! Talk about our fanbase lining up on two sides of an issue!

Up-and-coming coach:
    -Mike Houston, Citadel HC - decent progressive success as HC, is it enough?
    -Jamey Chadwell, Charleston Southern HC-decent progressive success as HC, is it enough? (also, WTF w/Delta State?
    -Russ Huesman, UTC HC
    -Rhett Lashlee, Auburn OC-already makes $600K, might be perfect but smells like a one-and-done
    -Scott Frost, Oregon OC-big time program experience, coordinator experience, Oregon O might be a nice fit with our roster, he's underpaid so we might be able to get him
    -Tim Horton, Auburn RB Coach-career position coach
    I added comments in bold above.

I think we're aiming fairly low. We ought to go all out for a Lashley or Frost, and do whatever we can to ensure at least 2-3 seasons from next coach.

Only way we can ensure 2-3 seasons out of a head coach at this point is to make a bad hire.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Only way we can ensure 2-3 seasons out of a head coach at this point is to make a bad hire.
    Haha. I know what you mean, but I hope that's not the case.

Isn't there any way to handcuff someone with contract stipulations? I realize that all factors are points of negotiation, but if we are in a decent negotiating position (i.e., giving someone their first HC shot at a solid program, or the opportunity to move up in level of play & pay), and our biggest desire is a couple-3 years of commitment, can't we put in an obscene buyout amount for the first 3 years to make him a less attractive candidate to other schools?

I realize that success = coaches moving onward and upward, but to me there's a big difference in 3 years between overhauls and one/done every other year.

8. Default Re: COACHING CANDIDATES

Scott Frost would be the best and flashiest choice. It would certainly garner some media attention. He was a former option QB at Nebraska and won a title there, I have no doubt about his commitment to this style of football. Good track record of success as an OC. He's young and has experience playing in the NFL. Despite not being familiar with this side of the country, his track record and energy could be valuable to recruit with.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Haha. I know what you mean, but I hope that's not the case.

Isn't there any way to handcuff someone with contract stipulations? I realize that all factors are points of negotiation, but if we are in a decent negotiating position (i.e., giving someone their first HC shot at a solid program, or the opportunity to move up in level of play & pay), and our biggest desire is a couple-3 years of commitment, can't we put in an obscene buyout amount for the first 3 years to make him a less attractive candidate to other schools?

I realize that success = coaches moving onward and upward, but to me there's a big difference in 3 years between overhauls and one/done every other year.
    To attract a candidate to lower pay, you can't likely construct a satisfactory situation where you are placing additional considerations into play.

Biggest problem we're facing if we have a head coaching vacancy, is that we have a university Presidential vacancy.

Keel had already been named our president before Monken was hired, but Keel had not officially arrived and was being paid. Those two had plenty of conversation and in fact had Keel not been involved I'm of the opinion Jeff would not have come on board.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    To attract a candidate to lower pay, you can't likely construct a satisfactory situation where you are placing additional considerations into play.
    Agreed & understood. However, if we hire a guy on the order of Bohannon, Houston or Chadwell, I would think we'd be in a position (because they'd be getting a substantial bump in pay) to tie them up pretty tightly with restrictions.

Those guys are probably making half or less of what Fritz is making now, so we ought to most certainly be able to get guys like that with our existing budget.

With buyout funds in our hands of $1.5MM, we ought to be able to offer $400-$450K over and above our current budget. At $900-$950K, we could potentially pursue a Lashley or Frost.

Lashley makes $600K, Frost $400-500K, so each of them would be seeing a pretty substantial bump in pay if we offered at that level, along with their first HC opportunity at a program perfectly situated to position them for further advancement, for which we might be able to negotiate a substantial buyout over the first 3 years that either restricts their marketability or helps fund the next go 'round. I suppose it all depends on how much of a trade-off they see the buyout as, and which side feels like they are in the best position to negotiate. If one of these guys is interviewing for 3 jobs he is likely to get offered, probably works in his favor.