TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basketball progam: Back to the bad old days

Default Re: Basketball progam: Back to the bad old days

Offensive X's and O's and roster management just aren't Byington's thing. And it's killing us right now. I didn't give CY a pass for the youth excuse and I'm not going to give Byinton a pass. He mismanaged the roster last year and he's doing it again this year. And I don't know why any team would ever play man defense against us. We had no clue how to run a zone offense last year and apparently that hasn't gotten any better.

Byington is a great recruiter, he puts a lot of emphasis on defense and rebounding, and the kids play hard for him. But until he get the offensive side of the ball figured out (or gets an assistant that knows offensive X's and O's) and takes off his blinders about playing time for certain players we just are going to have a ceiling as to how good of a team we can be. And right now that's a pretty low ceiling. He's also far too laid back when it comes to disciplining players for out of control play and getting on to officials.

We are young, there is no doubt. And that puts us behind the 8 ball. But we should be better than we are. Byington's coaching right now it taking our shortcomings and magnifying them.

I'm also interested to see in how well this staff is at player development. So far Hughes is no better than he was last year and Allsmiller is worse. We've got some incredible raw talent in players like Ike Smith, Monte Glenn, and Jason Burnell. But can this staff turn that raw talent into basketball talent? This group will win if they stay together. Just like the group of Hewitt, Bussey, and Ferguson was going to win under CY because they were just that talented. But they were never going to win as much as they should have because of bad coaching. Hopefully in 4 years we aren't saying the same about the group of freshmen and sophomores we have now.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 8th January 2016 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Again last night we saw Simmons only get 8 minutes of playing time (4 points and 10 boards) and out produce O'Connell (0 points and 3 boards) in 17 minutes. Its been that way all year and that's just bad coaching.
    Simmons is averaging 3.8 ppg and 5.2 rpg in 10 minutes a night.
    O'Connell is averaging 3.4 ppg and 3.8 rpg in 15 minutes a night.

Why in the hell does Simmons not play 25+ minutes a night?

Ready for this...Coye Simmons LEADS THE TEAM IN REBOUNDS. He has 67 rebounds in 135 minutes played. 2nd on the team is Ike Smith. He has 65 rebounds in 329 minutes played. Want to know why we struggle rebounding the basketball? We play our best rebounder for 25% of the game. And on top of that we play a guy at the power forward position who is under 200 lbs.

Like you said, it's just bad coaching. Plain and simple. I couldn't understand why Simmons didn't play more last year, but that was just based on the eye test. I thought he looked ready to help last year. Same with Boykins. But this year there is hard data to show that Simmons could help us out this year yet he still can't see the floor for more than a few short stretches at a time. Makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

3. Default Re: Basketball progam: Back to the bad old days

The college game has gotten increasingly hard for me to watch, even when the teams are good. I like full-court-man-to-man-40-minutes-of-hell-sub-five-at-a-time hoops. Where you press the other guy from the minute he steps off the bus. Dictate your will and tempo and never slow down. Get a roster full of guys who play hard, defend, rebound and run them in and out in shifts. Wear the other folks out.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

At this rate our football team will have more wins than the basketball team. Basketball especially at our level (1 bid conference) will take 4 years to rebuild from scratch, that's pretty much what we are doing.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I still think we'll turn a corner at some point this season. We won't go dancing, but there's a lot of raw talent still learning to play together.

When the offense trusts itself, it will get faster and more fluid. And the shooting pct will rise following that.

It's frustrating to watch now, but there's a reason why no one is being redshirted. If this team grows and grows together, it will be much better off a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    I still think we'll turn a corner at some point this season. We won't go dancing, but there's a lot of raw talent still learning to play together.

When the offense trusts itself, it will get faster and more fluid. And the shooting pct will rise following that.

It's frustrating to watch now, but there's a reason why no one is being redshirted. If this team grows and grows together, it will be much better off a year from now.
    we are a big man and a true scoring Forward away from being a solid team and yes I agree we have talent. But without those two we will struggle.