TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Way To Raise Donations?

1. Default A Way To Raise Donations?

Just wondering if someone can fill me in here.

I work with and know a lot of folks from Ga Sou. It's no secret that our alumni base does not do the best job of donating for athletics. For those living around the Statesboro area, the season tickets are a great deal and you get a lot for your money. But i consistently hear from those in Atlanta, "I don't donate because I cant make it to any games and I do not get anything in return."

What are the thoughts on this, is it true and do you hear the same? Is there any program in the works to start capturing Atlanta (and other major alumni markets) by rewarding back for donations in a different way? Even if it was just a very nice polo shirt, jacket, jersey, etc. based on donation level, the donors who cant make it to the games and lose interest in donating would get something back in return.

Am I off base here or does any one agree? It just seems like the Atlanta market is a missed opportunity as the alumni don't want to shell out money and receive nothing in return if they cant drive 4 hours each weekend (I know I know, we love our school it shouldn't be that way but it is). thoughts?

2. Default Re: A Way To Raise Donations?

I was unable to make it to any games last year, I am not sure if I will be able to this year and I bought bowl tickets (did not attend). Being a booster and season ticket holder, I view my purchases as an investment in the program for which I get a good return. With the ESPN app, I am able to watch every game......My investment helps the program which means better tv viewing for me........With the addition of the wings program, it is the ultimate no-brainer for me.......I am not here to tell anyone what to do with their money........BUT I think looking at donation/ticket purchases through a different lens will help people understand how crucial it is.

Default Re: A Way To Raise Donations?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogg View Post

I work with and know a lot of folks from Ga Sou. It's no secret that our alumni base does not do the best job of donating for athletics. For those living around the Statesboro area, the season tickets are a great deal and you get a lot for your money. But i consistently hear from those in Atlanta, "I don't donate because I cant make it to any games and I do not get anything in return."

What are the thoughts on this, is it true and do you hear the same? Is there any program in the works to start capturing Atlanta (and other major alumni markets) by rewarding back for donations in a different way? Even if it was just a very nice polo shirt, jacket, jersey, etc. based on donation level, the donors who cant make it to the games and lose interest in donating would get something back in return.

Am I off base here or does any one agree? It just seems like the Atlanta market is a missed opportunity as the alumni don't want to shell out money and receive nothing in return if they cant drive 4 hours each weekend (I know I know, we love our school it shouldn't be that way but it is). thoughts?

There could be tiered gifts: (some are already given in the lower level)
    <$120 car sticker/magnet
    $120-360 sticker/magnet and plate
    $360-600 previous, plus discount to All Access online (50% off)
    $600-1200 previous, All access included, and booster plaque
    $1200 previous, plus polo, sideline pass
    $2400 previous, plus ??? not sure what gifts would be included

Also, the more 'gifts you give donors the less you can tax exempt.
    The big thing I think they should offer is the All Access pass. That would allow fans/donors that can't make games watch almost any game online and feel they are getting something for their donation.
    One thing I have noticed since we moved up is that more of my friends are more interested in the program again and some have started to donate. They don't make many (if any) games, but they see can watch the team(s) a lot more on TV and ESPN3 so they are more involved. Having games in ATL really gets the interest up. We need to beat both ATL teams this year to make a big statement.
    Just One More Time!!!

IMO people like that always have an excuse. And for anyone complaining about hotel prices, what's stopping them from booking in December for the next season? It costs $0 to book at the regular rates and you can cancel the games you don't make it. Or like I say all the time, stay in Metter or Dublin for $70/night. There are no 2 night minimums. IT's cheap to eat out in the Boro, went to Millhouse and they had $3 or $4 Guinness, you pay that much in Atlanta for bottled water (Bud Light/Miller Lite). I think it was $30 including tax and tip for a steak and 2 Guinness. Good luck getting those prices in Atlanta. Went out post game to Big Show's, same thing, had some wings, a pitcher, and a round of shots for like $30. Then not to mention staying in Dublin cuts down on that dreadful ride home on I-16.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I never like the Atlantans argument that they couldn't come to games because they're to far. Look at the fans of Ga, Bama, Clemson and so forth, some of those folks drive 3-4 hours every home game. So to me it's more about how important it is to them or how much they love their team.

I agree 100% that some All-Access tie in should come in at SOME level.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Since a year after I graduated, I have lived at least 7 hours away from Statesboro. Because of that, I don't make it to many games but instill donate to the Athletic Foundation every year. I think the distance answer is a lame excuse.

One thing I believe the school and athletic foundation has been bad about (and I have mentioned this to them) is they haven't done a good job of branching out past the "comfort zone" area so to speak. If we truly want to be a school know Nationally we are going to have to go outside Georgia, North Florida and South Carolina.

That being said, I believe that is starting to happen. Nashville in particular. The Dean of the Business School has been up here a couple times in the last year, the athletic foundation was here in December and representatives from the Alumni group will be up here next week.

Here's to hoping that starts happening in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Jax_Eagle View Post
    Since a year after I graduated, I have lived at least 7 hours away from Statesboro. Because of that, I don't make it to many games but instill donate to the Athletic Foundation every year. I think the distance answer is a lame excuse. L'

One thing I believe the school and athletic foundation has been bad about (and I have mentioned this to them) is they haven't done a good job of branching out past the "comfort zone" area so to speak. If we truly want to be a school know Nationally we are going to have to go outside Georgia, North Florida and South Carolina.

That being said, I believe that is starting to happen. Nashville in particular. The Dean of the Business School has been up here a couple times in the last year, the athletic foundation was here in December and representatives from the Alumni group will be up here next week.

Here's to hoping that starts happening in other areas.
    Working on a big event with athletics in Nashville late summer. Stay tuned

Donating has nothing to do with whether you can make it to town for games. And Atlanta is not that far away from Statesboro, only around three hours.

Someone's zip code should not have any bearing on donor benefits.

Season tickets and donations are two completely separate things.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Donating has nothing to do with whether you can make it to town for games. And Atlanta is not that far away from Statesboro, only around three hours. Someone's zip code should not have any bearing on donor benefits. Season tickets and donations are two completely separate things.
    The idea wasn't that benefits would be tied to location...
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.