TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 NCAA Football Rule Changes

Default 2016 NCAA Football Rule Changes

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Default Re: 2016 NCAA Football Rule Changes

Wow so basically a lot more kids are going to be given the boot. There are probably a bunch of missed targeting situation missed by the refs, now the replay booth can basically throw a flag on that.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

3. Default Re: 2016 NCAA Football Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Wow so basically a lot more kids are going to be given the boot. There are probably a bunch of missed targeting situation missed by the refs, now the replay booth can basically throw a flag on that.
    It's pretty much going to be egregious stuff only. Think BJ Johnson taking a textbook helmet-to-helmet shot against Bowling Green. The crowd and officials all saw it on the screen, but they couldn't do anything after the fact.

But they're also calling and upholding not targeting calls as targeting. That's the bigger issue IMO.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

They really botched the targeting calls during our bowl game.

6. Default Re: 2016 NCAA Football Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    But they're also calling and upholding not targeting calls as targeting. That's the bigger issue IMO.
    True, but that's the other big rule change this year.

From here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...-player-safety

After reviewing numerous video examples and receiving strong feedback on its annual rules survey, the committee voted to expand the authority of the instant replay official, requiring them to review all aspects of targeting fouls. Additionally, the instant replay official will be able to stop the game and create a targeting foul in situations where an egregious action has occurred.

In a small number of cases, the committee believed players were incorrectly disqualified from games. The elements of targeting that replay officials will watch for include launching and forcible contact to the head, among other factors.

“The targeting rule is serving the game well, and has enhanced player safety,” said Bob Nielson, chair of the committee and head coach at the University of South Dakota. “Because this is such a severe penalty, we are instructing replay officials to review plays to ensure that the required elements of targeting exist. We are also adding the ability for the replay official to stop the game when a potential targeting foul is not detected on the field.”
    Officials are now supposed to look at the entire hit, NOT just whether the helmets touched. It's going to give officials a lot more leeway to make common sense calls. Think Caleb Williams against Troy -- by the letter of the old rule it was targeting. Under the new rule, it will (or should) be waived off.

Maybe I'm an optimist, and GSUAlumniEagle can chime in and tell me I'm wrong, but I think the new rule is going to cut down on the number of ejections. Officials don't want to eject these guys, but the old rules didn't allow any wiggle room. That wiggle room now exists.

So between the red hat guy and the new rules we are going to have some long football games, I can just see 10-15 min. stoppages of play to review and discuss questionable hits. Got to keep the kids safe but this could really get dragged out.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    So between the red hat guy and the new rules we are going to have some long football games, I can just see 10-15 min. stoppages of play to review and discuss questionable hits. Got to keep the kids safe but this could really get dragged out.
    It does create revenue opportunities. We could get Tampax and Summers Eve to sponsor targeting reviews!

Agreed. Can't wait to have more dead time where football isn't being played and officials are huddled around to discuss calls for 20 mins just so they can botch them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    True, but that's the other big rule change this year.

From here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...-player-safety

Officials are now supposed to look at the entire hit, NOT just whether the helmets touched. It's going to give officials a lot more leeway to make common sense calls. Think Caleb Williams against Troy -- by the letter of the old rule it was targeting. Under the new rule, it will (or should) be waived off.

Maybe I'm an optimist, and GSUAlumniEagle can chime in and tell me I'm wrong, but I think the new rule is going to cut down on the number of ejections. Officials don't want to eject these guys, but the old rules didn't allow any wiggle room. That wiggle room now exists.

I'll believe all that when I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.