TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Basketball - Jason Burnell to Transfer

Default Re: Basketball - Jason Burnell to Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    When you have only four forwards on the roster and three of them are freshmen, I wouldn't say he had much of a choice. We were deeper at guard and wing, so yes he chose to give them more minutes instead of developing our big men.

2 of our 3 starting guards were freshmen so I'm not sure that point holds water. Also you contradicted yourself. You said that he didn't have much of a choice and then you say he chose to give the guards more minutes instead of developing our big men.

Byington chose to go small 100% of the time. It was a choice, not a necessity. He gave Burnell the Simmons treatment and then played O'Connell out of position all year. We could have gone big at times but he chose not to for whatever reason. Will he choose to play a big lineup in the future? Only time will tell, but so far with this roster he's shown that he would rather go small. All the way to the point of playing people out of position and wasting a player's year of eligibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    2 of our 3 starting guards were freshmen so I'm not sure that point holds water. Also you contradicted yourself. You said that he didn't have much of a choice and then you say he chose to give the guards more minutes instead of developing our big men.

Byington chose to go small 100% of the time. It was a choice, not a necessity. He gave Burnell the Simmons treatment and then played O'Connell out of position all year. We could have gone big at times but he chose not to for whatever reason. Will he choose to play a big lineup in the future? Only time will tell, but so far with this roster he's shown that he would rather go small. All the way to the point of playing people out of position and wasting a player's year of eligibility.
    Not contradicting, conceding to a point. He had a choice, just not a great one. Our guards had a considerable amount of more experience than our forwards had going into 2015-16. Hughes, Allsmiller, and DeVonte Boykins all saw playing time in '14-15. Add DeVince Boykins as a graduate transfer and its more than safe to say our backcourt was more experienced than our frontcourt. Add guys like Ike to that mix and I see the logic in going small. That was the most talented and experienced part of our team. He decided to give more minutes to them by playing 4 guard lineups. Brown-Hughes-Smith-Allsmiller are our four most talented offensive players, why not figure out a way to get them all on the court at the same time? You concede rebounding but you get the ability to space the floor on the offensive end. It started to work at the end of the year. O'Connell, Glenn, and Simmons got more minutes because Burnell was cut out of the rotation, which accelerated their development. O'Connell learned how to play center for a year. Sanks like Burnell was cut out of the rotation once Byington figured out what his 9-man rotation was.

He decided to give more minutes to them by playing 4 guard lineups. Brown-Hughes-Smith-Allsmiller are our four most talented offensive players, why not figure out a way to get them all on the court at the same time?
    He didn't decide to give "more minutes" to them....he gave all the minutes to them. I agree that those 4 are our most talented offensive players (when Jake makes shots). I've never once been against having them on the floor together. What I'm against is absolutely refusing to go with any lineup BUT those 4 on the floor together. But that's what Byington chose to do. Or atleast some form of 4 small players and 1 big.

O'Connell learned how to play center for a year.
    What makes you certain that's a one year thing? If he didn't play O'Connell at the 4 this year when we were beyond desperate for a 4 then why would he ever do it?
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

We will find out fairly soon if the plan is to add players at the Spring signing period as it begins April 13.
    Aaron Stone
    GS Alum & Class of '95
    Health/PE Degree
    gsufans.com Donor
    gsufans.com member since 2007
    Sugar Hill, GA

He didn't decide to give "more minutes" to them....he gave all the minutes to them. I agree that those 4 are our most talented offensive players (when Jake makes shots). I've never once been against having them on the floor together. What I'm against is absolutely refusing to go with any lineup BUT those 4 on the floor together. But that's what Byington chose to do. Or atleast some form of 4 small players and 1 big.

What makes you certain that's a one year thing? If he didn't play O'Connell at the 4 this year when we were beyond desperate for a 4 then why would he ever do it?
    none of our bigs showed that they could be consistent offensive threats, maybe they will all of a sudden improve by the start of next season. It's very clear to me why CB didn't play two big men at the same time for long periods during the game. They were offensive liabilities. He had more confidence that we could score with the 4 little guys out there. I think it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    none of our bigs showed that they could be consistent offensive threats, maybe they will all of a sudden improve by the start of next season. It's very clear to me why CB didn't play two big men at the same time for long periods during the game. They were offensive liabilities. He had more confidence that we could score with the 4 little guys out there. I think it's that simple.

He didn't not play them for "long periods". He literally never played them at all.

He didn't not play them for "long periods". He literally never played them at all.
    Yep, you can count the minutes on one hand

I think everyone agrees that a small lineup put the best offensive group on the floor, but at some point you must give up a little offense to improve your weakness. There were games that 1big was to much of a liability, but we never did adjust. When you can't buy a shot, you better get a rebounding lineup on the floor. When a team has a strong post player, it takes a group to slow him down. CB loves his guards, that was pretty clear last year with the under use of TW. I will be very surprised if we bring in more than 1 big man in the spring (unless it's a 5 year guy)

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Yep, you can count the minutes on one hand

I think everyone agrees that a small lineup put the best offensive group on the floor, but at some point you must give up a little offense to improve your weakness. There were games that 1big was to much of a liability, but we never did adjust. When you can't buy a shot, you better get a rebounding lineup on the floor. When a team has a strong post player, it takes a group to slow him down. CB loves his guards, that was pretty clear last year with the under use of TW. I will be very surprised if we bring in more than 1 big man in the spring (unless it's a 5 year guy)
    Dont forget how many times did our bigs, especially SO get in quick foul trouble. Bottom line, our current set of 3 big men have a lot of improvement needed.

none of our bigs showed that they could be consistent offensive threats
    If Montae would just quit dribbling under the basket every time he gets the ball. He has great hands and potential to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by KCEagle View Post
    If Montae would just quit dribbling under the basket every time he gets the ball. He has great hands and potential to develop.
    His defense has to improve also, there were a few games last year he'd score a couple of quick baskets and then immediately get himself in foul trouble. I think Montae has potential, just how hard does he want to work on it to become better?