TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could a home and home with North Dakota State actually make sense?

Default Could a home and home with North Dakota State actually make sense?

Just some musings about football scheduling here...

For a while I've been against playing any but the closest and the weakest FCS teams but I've also been thinking about the game with New Hampshire next year and what it might mean in term's of TK's thinking. I'm not going to complain about playing SSU like some others here are because they are our home opener and the home opener is always going to be a decent crowd no matter who it is.

The #1 concern people have with playing good FCS teams is putting up an unnecessary hurdle to getting a bowl bid. That was the thinking before we realized we would have a 14-2 record in conference play in our first two seasons and before we realized we'd do as well or better than anyone in our conference in recruiting. With Conference USA being watered down since the SBC gained a tie-in with the New Orleans Bowl there's a strong case to be made we have won the top Bowl Game in the conference (playing MAC Champions > playing third or fourth pick from Conference USA). Are we at the point where we really want to schedule timidly because of a chance we'll have a bad year and need every win we can get to reach 6-6 and get the Arizona Bowl?

The benefit of playing NDSU is it's someone both younger and older portions of the fan base are familiar with, and it's someone our fans will show up to see that we could actually play on a Saturday. We don't exactly have lots of P5 and good G5 teams lining up for home and homes, so why not play an FCS that would act as a surrogate? And with NDSU's aggressive push lately to get good non-conference games (against EWU, Montana, and Charleston Southern) we might even have leverage for a small defrayment from them for our travel costs.

The bottom line is that the primary focus with scheduling with any team is the bottom line and not thinking in hypotheticals about how it might affect you three years down the road with getting a bowl bid, access bowl, CFP, or whatever applies. I don't know if this is the thinking with the UNH game, but this kind of thinking makes sense to me.

P.S. Those of you are fixated on breaking the single-game attendance record, don't count on it happening this year unless we and App State both come into our game undefeated. It may take a while to break the record with our most appealing opponents playing us on weekdays. A Saturday evening game with NDSU could break that glass ceiling, though.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Default Re: Could a home and home with North Dakota State actually make sense?

Sun Belt bylaws state that you can't play away games at FCS stadiums.

Edit: I'd be fine with bringing them here for a game now that we are pretty well established, in the first couple years of transition, I would have said no due to possible embarrassment.

No.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

4. Default Re: Could a home and home with North Dakota State actually make sense?

Never ever.

Nope that would be a bad move.

Insert Tracy Morgan's "hell no" gif

7. Default Re: Could a home and home with North Dakota State actually make sense?

Absolutely not.

We're not playing @ some D2 stadium.

8. Default Re: Could a home and home with North Dakota State actually make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    Sun Belt bylaws state that you can't play away games at FCS stadiums.

Edit: I'd be fine with bringing them here for a game now that we are pretty well established, in the first couple years of transition, I would have said no due to possible embarrassment.
    +1

IMO it makes ZERO sense to schedule a Home & Home with an FCS program, that reeks of scheduling desperation. And, voluntarily going to North Dakota- into the Fargo Dome is just a preposterous notion, no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Insert Tracy Morgan's "hell no" gif
    ask and ye shall receive

Not only would I not like a home and home with them, but some of our highest attended games are against the likes of Savannah State (primarily because they are season openers). There will never come a time IMO that a selection will be made by any committee based upon who played the tougher FCS opponent.

If you were arguing from a "does this help the team get better" standpoint then I might give you some credit. I don't think SSU really helps the team much at all (other than getting them used to running around and hitting people who aren't in their own uniforms). A team like NDSU would surely help us get better, but it's not worth the cost of a potential upset.