TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 95 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Alabama Game

Default South Alabama Game

This game just got a lot more interesting with their upset of Mississippi St yesterday. Much like 2014 we will really find out what kind of team we are after this game in Mobile.

Default Re: South Alabama Game

Kickoff at 7:00

I didn't watch any of their game, all I know is they were down 17-0 and won off a missed chip shot field goal.

Just looking at stats, it seems they couldn't get the run game going (3.2 YPC), but were tearing it up through the air. 24/34 285 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Hope our defense is ready....

Watch the highlights. I was not very impressed with what I saw. Did they make a few good plays? Sure. But they scored in the 3rd and 4th on what I assume was 2nd or 3rd string Miss State defenses, and with some truly bad missed blocks...probably due to first game jitters.

Miss State missed the FG to win it at the end, truly Georgia Southern style right there. Ha.

I'm leaving Friday from Statesboro...this should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    Watch the highlights. I was not very impressed with what I saw. Did they make a few good plays? Sure. But they scored in the 3rd and 4th on what I assume was 2nd or 3rd string Miss State defenses, and with some truly bad missed blocks...probably due to first game jitters.

Miss State missed the FG to win it at the end, truly Georgia Southern style right there. Ha.

I'm leaving Friday from Statesboro...this should be fun.
    Why in the world would that be the 2nd and 3rd string Miss St defenses?

In terms of strengths and weaknesses South looks a lot like their 2014 team, except they have a better and more cerebral QB. I think it will be the best South Alabama team we've played yet, though I'd point out Miss State is probably the worst SEC team other than Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

We won't have any problem with their running backs, so I'm wondering if we'll see a lot of the package with Ironhead Gallon at nickelback to defend them. I hate it that a couple of our corners are going to get their first start here, but that's just how it goes.

Honestly, my biggest concern is not running but pass protection. We couldn't do it last year and I'm not real confident we can do it again this year. I'm thinking we will get sacked a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    Why in the world would that be the 2nd and 3rd string Miss St defenses?
    If that was indeed the 1st string I would be severely concerned if I was Miss St.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    If that was indeed the 1st string I would be severely concerned if I was Miss St.
    Then you'd need to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    Then you'd need to be concerned.
    Yeah, I don't think Danny Boy would NOT have his 1st string guys in once the game became remotely in question.
    Avatar = True Blue sign, standing under the Bill Clinton statue in Pristina, Kosovo, and smoking a cigar.

-Walt Austin, Forgotten5.com

If Missisippi State was playing their second-team as the game got close Dan Mullen is an idiot and I don't think he is.

Expect a lot of deep passs and crossing routes next Saturday. They are going to make our secondary beat them. We are going to need our defensive line to get a lot of pressure. We need to make it hard for them to play the game they want to play.

With us having no clue how our secondary will respond next week we need the offense to click. I mentioned in another thread that if our line is having the same problems it had in the spring we probably shouldn't expect it to improve any time soon. I really hope I am wrong and they show a lot of improvement from what we saw yesterday. We will need it.

10. Default

Southern will win comfortably. Better talent in the Boro than Starkvegas.