TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: Money

  1. #1

    Default Money

    A common thread that keeps coming up from the fire Summers crowd is that they will not be donating to the program add long as he's around. Let me be the first to tell you how retarded you sound when you say that. First of all, you know we hired him because we don't have enough money to hire better. Slowing or stopping your donation fixes that how? That's not a rhetorical question...so someone please answer. How do we hire better coaches with less money? The amount of funds our fan base and alumni donates to the program is embarrassing in the first place. We consider ourselves a great fan base but we're putting Washington's and pocket change in the offering plate when it gets passed around. Do you want to know why we are stunted as a program and have to hire HS coaches? It's not because of TK. It's because of our cheap fan base. If you consider yourself a fan of Georgia Southern and you're giving less than 1% of your annual income to the program, then you are the problem. Now I know most on here are not guilty of such foolishness, but if you are...know you are the problem. I challenge each of you during tax season to look at your donations. Look at all the other donations and charity you support throughout the year. See if you have room, in the money you already havery to give away for tax reasons, to better support this program. I can promise you that more money is the only thing that is going to make us a better program...and it starts with the 1% from every fan. That's my 2 cents on the matter.
    Jarad B Brown
    C/O 2006
    Savannah GA

  2. Default Re: Money

    Your thoughts are dead on. We have to financially support the program for the program to grow. Withholding your financial support will only drive the program down. As my dear departed grandmother used to say, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

  3. #3

    Default Re: Money

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown0023 View Post
    A common thread that keeps coming up from the fire Summers crowd is that they will not be donating to the program add long as he's around. Let me be the first to tell you how retarded you sound when you say that. First of all, you know we hired him because we don't have enough money to hire better. Slowing or stopping your donation fixes that how? That's not a rhetorical question...so someone please answer. How do we hire better coaches with less money? The amount of funds our fan base and alumni donates to the program is embarrassing in the first place. We consider ourselves a great fan base but we're putting Washington's and pocket change in the offering plate when it gets passed around. Do you want to know why we are stunted as a program and have to hire HS coaches? It's not because of TK. It's because of our cheap fan base. If you consider yourself a fan of Georgia Southern and you're giving less than 1% of your annual income to the program, then you are the problem. Now I know most on here are not guilty of such foolishness, but if you are...know you are the problem. I challenge each of you during tax season to look at your donations. Look at all the other donations and charity you support throughout the year. See if you have room, in the money you already havery to give away for tax reasons, to better support this program. I can promise you that more money is the only thing that is going to make us a better program...and it starts with the 1% from every fan. That's my 2 cents on the matter.
    I consider myself a fan of GS, but there is no way I am giving 1% of my annual income to GS. To make that statement is absurd
    .

  4. #4

    Default Re: Money

    Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    I consider myself a fan of GS, but there is no way I am giving 1% of my annual income to GS. To make that statement is absurd
    .
    Ummmm...not really. So if 50k/yr $500. If 200k/yr 2k. That's conservative really. 1% should be the base level. This is what is wrong at the current moment, and if people were as passionate about fixing the money problem as they are about firing people, we wouldn't be in this mess. We wouldn't have lost fritz to Tulane. But southern fans who give zero feel the most entitled.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Money

    Nm
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker

  6. Default Re: Money

    I give over 1 % in tickets and merchandise....that's enough. The school should carry the rest.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Money

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown0023 View Post
    Ummmm...not really. So if 50k/yr $500. If 200k/yr 2k. That's conservative really. 1% should be the base level. This is what is wrong at the current moment, and if people were as passionate about fixing the money problem as they are about firing people, we wouldn't be in this mess. We wouldn't have lost fritz to Tulane. But southern fans who give zero feel the most entitled.
    People should give whatever their family and personal financial situation will allow. Most people also donate to other charitable organizations. The real issue we have is we do not have enough donors/foundation members. Take a look at the foundation membership and compare it to just the number of people who have graduated since 1985 when we won our first national championship.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Money

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown0023 View Post
    A common thread that keeps coming up from the fire Summers crowd is that they will not be donating to the program add long as he's around. Let me be the first to tell you how retarded you sound when you say that. First of all, you know we hired him because we don't have enough money to hire better.
    There were/are better coaches available, with winning head-coaching experience, who would have put forth better results for the same money, or even less. And not burdened the school with unresolved staffing issues, including over-hiring offensive coordinators and football staff (non-coaching administrators). Summers turned Georgia Southern Football into an inefficient, underachieving bureaucracy. He has, it can be argued, done more damage to the school than any other coach ever at Georgia Southern. Chris Hatcher turned in one losing season, 5-6, and got fired. Why keep Summers with the same number of wins and one more loss? Playing in the Sunbelt and not winning at least 9 games a year, and going to a bowl, is underachieving. Summers couldn't even eke out enough wins to salvage a split and get bowl elegible. We threw the bus in reverse and slammed into whatever was behind us, creating a lot of damage. Damage that is going to take years to sort through and fix.

    Summers is the only "Special" one I see here. Tim Stowers or Mike Sewak could have gone 8-4 this season and gotten fired. And don't claim things are any different because of 1A versus 1AA. For years we played the cream of the 1A crop tough, in their home stadiums, much more competitively than we do now. Pac10 (now Pac12), Mountain West, ACC, SEC. Put the fear of Jesus into teams like Oregon State, Colorado State, Florida State, Auburn - all games we came within an eyelash of winning. Played the notorious U close and competitively during their power days; contrast that with a 5-7 Ole Miss. Now we are losing to the Arkansas States and Louisiana Lafeyettes of the world. Not exactly college football powerhouses.

    You mentioned $, I equate Tyson Summers to an overpaid, underqualified, welfare recipient. Nothing against folks struggling, but I definitely have a problem with someone milking the system, and that is exactly what he is being allowed to do. I damn sure am not going to reward him, or his crew, with any of my hard-earned money.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Money

    Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    People should give whatever their family and personal financial situation will allow. Most people also donate to other charitable organizations. The real issue we have is we do not have enough donors/foundation members. Take a look at the foundation membership and compare it to just the number of people who have graduated since 1985 when we won our first national championship.
    I don't disagree. The problem is too many "fans" don't support the program financially. They want other people to pay for, and fix issues with the program. I put 1% because I believe it to be a minimal commitment if we want to see the program grow. If you donate anything then you are helping, but the more you give the better. If you make six figures and give less than 1k/yr you might want to reevaluate your contributions going forward. Buying merchandise and tickets help as well, but it doesn't have the same impact as an annual donation. Point was that slowing or stopping your donation is a stupid solution to the real problem facing Georgia Southern. It makes you a fair weather fan, and a weak one at that.

  10. Default Re: Money

    Thanks for posting about the $$$$$. It is the #1 thing holding us back from being "Big Time". It is sad that people think the their love is enough.......wrap this with the small-time, small-town thinking of many in the administration at GSU (See branding and School Store) and you have the hole we are in. Lastly, the "I will donate when XXXX happens" mindset is about as narrow-minded as it gets

Similar Threads

  1. Playoff Money
    By Tampa_Jax_Eagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th December 2011, 11:20 PM
  2. Easy money?
    By gsu2583 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 15th October 2011, 02:13 PM
  3. FBS Money
    By gsugt1 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th November 2009, 08:44 PM
  4. big money...
    By eagleone in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd June 2009, 10:28 AM
  5. For you that say MONEY is the ISSUE
    By EagleEND88 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 7th February 2009, 01:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •