TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Money

Default Re: Money

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    Regarding football this statement is factually inaccurate. Our GSUAF budget in 2012 according to the annual report was around 4.5 million it is now 20 million. We've generated 4.5 times the revenue and our coaching ain't improved.
    Quick question, Monken and Fritz were both hired away because they were winning. Are they making more or less money than they were when they were here? Better coaches do make more money because they go to programs that can pay them more. I don't know how you can argue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    Are you talking about the 2 or 3 elite coaches in the country or just the best coaches in the country? Many of the best coaches in the country are coaching for different salary points.
    And every single one of those salary points are out of our current range because our fan base doesn't support the program. And every single one of those coaches would leave their current position for more money. It's all about money. That's what I'm saying. If you're taking money away from the program you are not helping anything, you're hurging it. That's all I'm saying.

3. Default Re: Money

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown0023 View Post
    And every single one of those salary points are out of our current range because our fan base doesn't support the program. And every single one of those coaches would leave their current position for more money. It's all about money. That's what I'm saying. If you're taking money away from the program you are not helping anything, you're hurging it. That's all I'm saying.
    OK TK, will keep that in mind and take with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown0023 View Post
    And you will be doing nothing to help fix the issue. I'm sure once it is fully resolved and we are winning again you will be back on the bandwagon supporting "your team". Got to love the fair weather.
    There's an argument to both sides of this coin. Yes you are correct in that the administration always needs more money. This thought process carries truth almost everywhere you go with everything you do. It can be argued that giving money openly, whether the team is doing good or not, isn't great because you by default say you support what the administration is going, no matter what, even with a vocal amount of disapproval. When it comes to giving money and voicing displeasure, most won't care unless your voice of displeasure comes with the possibility of a loss of contribution (and even then, unless you're a big donor, there is likely cushion in the amount of contribution loss before action is taken). We aren't a P5 so we aren't bleeding money out of every crevice, however if the AD has been adequate at his job, he's dispersed and saved the program funds accordingly, and has talked to his primary donors etc. to whether any forthcoming storms. If he inhales vigorously at his job, (this is where the other argument comes into play) the program is essentially equivalent to a person living from paycheck to paycheck. A program like that will always need donor support of all sorts and sizes (ULM comes to mind). This limits the fans to being forced to accept whatever the outcome of the season is year in and year out, mediocre or not. This also handcuffs the program from the administrative side as well.

I'd speculate that currently, we as the average Joe's of the fan base are vocal like UT (or maybe closer to Cincinnati), but compared to the 20 or so mega-donors don't give enough to offset the weight that they give in affect make most of us internet warriors and giving way to arguments like this on a message board forum, which don't really do much until the bigger donors catch on to the message being yelled (who have the real money threat).

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    There are a whole lot more like me.

The administration doesn't care to fix the situation, so I don't care to show up.

CTS is a horrible hire. He is wrecking the program.

They at least have to replace these HS idiot coaches who turned our dangerous offense into something pathetic.

We have lost to some of the worst teams we have ever played. I was around for Stowers. This is so much worse.
    Same here, 89,90 was awesome.. The rest, I really don't remember except that great West GA loss... EnjoyBVG II coached games if you want, I want no part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    People who don't buy tickets or donate because they don't like the product are not fans or boosters, they are customers.
    If college athletics is a business, then yes, we are customers.

Can't have it both ways.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

No one on this board is paying for Summers. The only thing you do by withholding donations is limit the funds for student scholarships.

So go ahead and quit giving and see if that changes the amount on Summers contract.
    Just One More Time!!!

The point some are missing, is with less donors, the seat gets hotter for both TK and HWSNBN II. Remember why Stowers was fired? Hint, attendance went from 18K to 12K. Booster membership was cut in half.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbacker View Post
    There were/are better coaches available, with winning head-coaching experience, who would have put forth better results for the same money, or even less. And not burdened the school with unresolved staffing issues, including over-hiring offensive coordinators and football staff (non-coaching administrators). Summers turned Georgia Southern Football into an inefficient, underachieving bureaucracy. He has, it can be argued, done more damage to the school than any other coach ever at Georgia Southern. Chris Hatcher turned in one losing season, 5-6, and got fired. Why keep Summers with the same number of wins and one more loss? Playing in the Sunbelt and not winning at least 9 games a year, and going to a bowl, is underachieving. Summers couldn't even eke out enough wins to salvage a split and get bowl elegible. We threw the bus in reverse and slammed into whatever was behind us, creating a lot of damage. Damage that is going to take years to sort through and fix.

Summers is the only "Special" one I see here. Tim Stowers or Mike Sewak could have gone 8-4 this season and gotten fired. And don't claim things are any different because of 1A versus 1AA. For years we played the cream of the 1A crop tough, in their home stadiums, much more competitively than we do now. Pac10 (now Pac12), Mountain West, ACC, SEC. Put the fear of Jesus into teams like Oregon State, Colorado State, Florida State, Auburn - all games we came within an eyelash of winning. Played the notorious U close and competitively during their power days; contrast that with a 5-7 Ole Miss. Now we are losing to the Arkansas States and Louisiana Lafeyettes of the world. Not exactly college football powerhouses.

You mentioned $, I equate Tyson Summers to an overpaid, underqualified, welfare recipient. Nothing against folks struggling, but I definitely have a problem with someone milking the system, and that is exactly what he is being allowed to do. I damn sure am not going to reward him, or his crew, with any of my hard-earned money.
    When we played the "cream of the 1A crop tough" we used an O scheme that hardly anybody else ran that gave us an advantage as you well know, bakerbacker. We executed that scheme pretty well most of the time because we had the coaching and the players that made the scheme work. We didn't do what everybody else did and that defenses worked on stopping every day in practice. We had an edge. We don't do that any more because the folks that make the decisions in the program have chosen for us to go a different direction. We're now generic. If you want to win with a generic program you better have better coaching and better players than everybody else. Ya need a lot of money to get the W's doing it that way.

I don't know if Coach Summers is overpaid. I don't know if Coach Erk Russell, or Coach Paul Johnson, or Coach Mike Sewak, or Coach Jeff Monken, were overpaid. I know I liked watching their teams a lot more than what I saw this last year. I did like what I saw on the field when Coach Fritz was here until the Georgia State loss that year and I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. I'm also wondering if the results from those 2 years the Fritz staff was here are the results from his staff or the results of coaching and the talent left over from the Monken years. Who really knows?

However, I gotta agree with ya that we most probably would have seen better results this year had a different coaching staff been running this program being paid the same money. I think most long time Georgia Southern supporters would agree with that view. Obviously, we don't make those decisions. As has been said elsewhere, the AD owns the direction we go.

10. Default Re: Money

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    When we played the "cream of the 1A crop tough" we used an O scheme that hardly anybody else ran that gave us an advantage as you well know, bakerbacker. We executed that scheme pretty well most of the time because we had the coaching and the players that made the scheme work. We didn't do what everybody else did and that defenses worked on stopping every day in practice. We had an edge. We don't do that any more because the folks that make the decisions in the program have chosen for us to go a different direction. We're now generic. If you want to win with a generic program you better have better coaching and better players than everybody else. Ya need a lot of money to get the W's doing it that way.

I don't know if Coach Summers is overpaid. I don't know if Coach Erk Russell, or Coach Paul Johnson, or Coach Mike Sewak, or Coach Jeff Monken, were overpaid. I know I liked watching their teams a lot more than what I saw this last year. I did like what I saw on the field when Coach Fritz was here until the Georgia State loss that year and I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. I'm also wondering if the results from those 2 years the Fritz staff was here are the results from his staff or the results of coaching and the talent left over from the Monken years. Who really knows?

However, I gotta agree with ya that we most probably would have seen better results this year had a different coaching staff been running this program being paid the same money. I think most long time Georgia Southern supporters would agree with that view. Obviously, we don't make those decisions. As has been said elsewhere, the AD owns the direction we go.
    Not a bad note.