TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Any idea how sports will be impacted given the name will be Georgia Southern University? Am I reading too much into the press release? Seems to me the inclusion of Savannah in the name would indicate no athletics changes. But I didn't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by aristocracker View Post
    http://www.usg.edu/news/release/chan...consolidations

Chancellor Recommends Institution Consolidations

The Board will act upon the recommendations at its Jan. 11 meeting. If approved, the two new institutions will be named Georgia Southern University, to be led by President Jaimie Hebert.

“Creating the new Georgia Southern University will combine the best of both institutions, which are just an hour apart and ultimately serving many of the same students,” said Wrigley. “Consolidating Armstrong and Georgia Southern will create one institution with expanded regional presence, tailored degree programs for the coastal region and positioned to significantly enhance the University System’s economic impact for the area.”

Georgia Southern is already the number-one transfer choice for Armstrong students, and both institutions are among the top destinations for students seeking public higher education from Bryan, Chatham, Effingham and Liberty counties.

Initial opportunities from consolidating Georgia Southern and Armstrong include:

• Creates an institution of more than 27,000 students, making it the fourth largest public university in Georgia.

• Creates a more comprehensive university that serves the needs of the region with a range of degree programs for high demand careers, such as engineering and health care.

• Expands upon Armstrong’s expertise as the University System’s largest producer of undergraduate health professionals.

• Creates opportunities for raising graduation rates for students with Georgia Southern’s best practices.

• Builds on Armstrong’s nationally recognized leadership in supporting student veterans and active-duty military, which will enable the new institution to reach a much larger student population.

• Reinvests savings from administrative efficiencies into programs to support student success.

• Ensures the new Georgia Southern University’s Savannah campus offerings effectively balance with and complement those provided by Savannah State University.
    This is the reason.

I think I saw where Frank said either the sports are basically gone at Armstrong. If some want to try out next year I guess they can or transfer which I am sure the NCAA will have no problem letting them without losing eligibility.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

3. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    This is the reason.

I think I saw where Frank said either the sports are basically gone at Armstrong. If some want to try out next year I guess they can or transfer which I am sure the NCAA will have no problem letting them without losing eligibility.
    So, we are not going to have a minor league/farm system in Savannah? lol JK

Really curious what will happen with that arena.... indoor practice facility?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    So, we are not going to have a minor league/farm system in Savannah? lol JK

Really curious what will happen with that arena.... indoor practice facility?
    I really dont think athletics will be using that campus for any reason. Maybe it can be rented out for events? Cant be worse than that dump in Sav.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

5. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    This is the reason.

If it's anything like when Ga State absorbed Perimeter, the sports at Armstrong will basically fade out. I believe that any student athlete is welcome to transfer elsewhere or try out at GSU.

6. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

We should just move their girls tennis coaches and players to the boro.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    We will become a NCAA power in Tennis.
    This. Their women's team has won multiple DII titles. They have one dude who's 6'9 and a handful of 6'7 guys on their Bball team. I'd give them a tryout. Wonder if they have some hitters?

Armstrong sports going away is both logical and also is a source of more $$ savings.

This is likely the second most impactful, if that's a word, event/change in GS history. Second only to Erk and restarting football.

Change is coming for the Savannah campus that could slow growth and future projects in the Boro. The benefit of Savannah now having skin in the game gives more visibility in the heart of our closest major metro. It's no longer just a Statesboro baby. It's now a Statesboro/Savannah baby.

10. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

The opportunities with having the ability to use Savannah as an additional place to have special athletic events are endless.