TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by GSUParty View Post
    The opportunities with having the ability to use Savannah as an additional place to have special athletic events are endless.
    Savannah really needs to build a new municipal football stadium that can seat 30K+.

That way, the city could host a bowl game and GS could also use it to host one "in-season bowl game" per season . . . preferably against a P5 team.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

So...

GSU now has 21.5K students. The soon to be acquired Savannah campus is planned to be doubled to about 14K students. The new South campus that will be built will expand the Statesboro campus by up to 10K more students. Absorbing CoCG would add another 3,500 (rumored).

Georgia Southern could have 48,000 students shortly after the South campus is complete. WOW!!!

Just in student fees, we could be adding $13.5M to our budget at this enrollment level if athletic and facility fee still equals about $500 a student per year. We currently sit at what, about $21M? A $34M athletic budget would be huge! Hopefully we can continue to increase alumni funding in the years to come. This much larger pool of students should help donations significantly going forward.

This event may be the biggest event in GSU history since Erk....even bigger than going FBS.

We shall see...
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina

3. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

I don't know how I feel about this merge. If it is like small public schools in the past merging, I don't like it. I think when they get too big, schools lose their character and personal touch. This is one thing that GSC/U used to have in the 90s and has lost. Now, we are going to afflict this on Armstrong. But hey, these are public monies so, if it is more efficient, so be it. Another reason my son will wear Berry Blue in a few years. Large public schools have become impersonal and have developed a generic personality. In a sense I guess I don't care because my GSC/U really merged with the way society is years ago...so rah rah rah rah Southern Armstrong Pirates (SAP).

4. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post
    So...

GSU now has 21.5K students. The soon to be acquired Savannah campus is planned to be doubled to about 14K students. The new South campus that will be built will expand the Statesboro campus by up to 10K more students. Absorbing CoCG would add another 3,500 (rumored).

Georgia Southern could have 48,000 students shortly after the South campus is complete. WOW!!!

Just in student fees, we could be adding $13.5M to our budget at this enrollment level if athletic and facility fee still equals about $500 a student per year. We currently sit at what, about $21M? A $34M athletic budget would be huge! Hopefully we can continue to increase alumni funding in the years to come. This much larger pool of students should help donations significantly going forward.

This event may be the biggest event in GSU history since Erk....even bigger than going FBS.

We shall see...
    Yes, let's get more students and hold them financially captive for the football machine.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEagle View Post
    Yes, let's get more students and hold them financially captive for the football machine.
    They don't have to attend Georgia Southern if they don't want to pay the fees. They have free will.

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011

6. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

They don't have to attend Georgia Southern if they don't want to pay the fees. They have free will.
    Supposedly you come to a college for education. So, why do you have to participate in football fees to come? How about come to GSU for education and hey, if you want to go to football, we will give you a good deal on tickets, but you don't have to do so. Maybe a $200 dollar fee to support the RAC etc.. and $400 if you want a sports package.....great idea as I compliment myself.

Supposedly you come to a college for education. So, why do you have to participate in football fees to come? How about come to GSU for education and hey, if you want to go to football, we will give you a good deal on tickets, but you don't have to do so. Maybe a $200 dollar fee to support the RAC etc.. and $400 if you want a sports package.....great idea as I compliment myself.
    Because the students voted on it and it passed. You know these answers. Quit being obtuse.

You can't accurately forecast finances without some sort of fixed model, not an opt-in model.

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011

8. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Because the students voted on it and it passed. You know these answers. Quit being obtuse.

You can't accurately forecast finances without some sort of fixed model, not an opt-in model.
    What a great business model...over extend and hope for the best...won't work.

What a great business model...over extend and hope for the best...won't work.
    Yeah, because look at how terrible that decision was to create these new fees. We're much better off without them.

Hope for the best? Are you sure you went to Georgia Southern? Any college? Your logic is severely failing you, sir.

What exactly are we over extending? The BoR is the one pushing for this change, they are the arbiters of bearing this responsibility, not Georgia Southern.

With a fixed model like this, we can more accurately predict our future finances. With the opt-in model you presented, that is the definition of hoping for the best because you truly don't know what your total would be for each year.

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011

Excellent news for the future of Southern. Possibilities are endless!!! Need to build a cummuter rail along I-16