TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

1. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by 21Eagle View Post
    the south campus expansion will have a new arena and student housing right? I would hope that the South Campus comes before the Savannah expansion but could also see them not needing the South Campus if they invest heavily in Savannah.
    Thats what I was thinking. If they are planning to make GSU-Savannah into a graduate research hub then we won't really need graduate dorms and graduate research buildings that were going to be part of the expansion. They could still build a new arena without having to do the rest.

Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Before all these mergers, several other universities have satellite campuses. Troy, Central Michigan, Texas and Michigan off the top of my head. There is some sort of Gag State satellite campus in the Alpharetta/Cumming area and UGAG has a few as well. Not sure how that works when it comes to student fees.

No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

3. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Anyone know where we can go watch the press conference at 10? Is there a link?

To the University Community:
    The beginning of a new year always brings a sense of hope and possibility and 2017 is no different.
    The Board of Regents and the University System of Georgia continues to assess how its institutions can effectively and efficiently serve the state and provide access to education to its citizens. Chancellor Steve Wrigley will recommend to the Board of Regents that Georgia Southern University and Armstrong State University be consolidated at the next Board of Regents meeting, which will be held January 11.
    The recommended consolidation will combine the best of both institutions, which are just an hour apart and ultimately serve many of the same students coming from southeast Georgia who are seeking higher education.
    I will provide more information following the board meeting. For updates visit GeorgiaSouthern.edu/Newsroom.
    Jaimie Hebert, Ph.D.
    President
    "Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Sir Winston Churchill

5. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Talking about the South Campus Southern is in no hurry to continue that project. They built a new archives building, thats all they have done. We aren't racing to build new dorms, when the current dorms aren't full and aren't rushing into a new basketball stadium any time soon.

We will become a NCAA power in Tennis.

7. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Formal Press Release

http://www.usg.edu/news/release/chan...consolidations

"If approved, the two new institutions will be named Georgia Southern University, to be led by President Jaimie Hebert."

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I have another interesting question:

Does this mean the South Campus Expansion will be put on hold while we get things squared away with this? I know that the BOR owns all the adjacent land around Armstrong so they could be planning to expand that campus and make it into a commuter-esque GSU satellite campus. In which case, the extra room on our campus wouldn't be needed.

I guess my question is, are we trading a campus expansion in statesboro for a satellite campus in Savannah? And is the BOR doing this because they don't want to pay for the South Campus Expansion?
    It might accelerate it, since the state no longer has to fund two admins and athletic dept. Huge savings for the state with all the consolidations. I dont think this has anything to do with the south campus one way or the other.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

9. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

http://www.usg.edu/news/release/chan...consolidations

Chancellor Recommends Institution Consolidations

The Board will act upon the recommendations at its Jan. 11 meeting. If approved, the two new institutions will be named Georgia Southern University, to be led by President Jaimie Hebert.

“Creating the new Georgia Southern University will combine the best of both institutions, which are just an hour apart and ultimately serving many of the same students,” said Wrigley. “Consolidating Armstrong and Georgia Southern will create one institution with expanded regional presence, tailored degree programs for the coastal region and positioned to significantly enhance the University System’s economic impact for the area.”

Georgia Southern is already the number-one transfer choice for Armstrong students, and both institutions are among the top destinations for students seeking public higher education from Bryan, Chatham, Effingham and Liberty counties.

Initial opportunities from consolidating Georgia Southern and Armstrong include:

• Creates an institution of more than 27,000 students, making it the fourth largest public university in Georgia.

• Creates a more comprehensive university that serves the needs of the region with a range of degree programs for high demand careers, such as engineering and health care.

• Expands upon Armstrong’s expertise as the University System’s largest producer of undergraduate health professionals.

• Creates opportunities for raising graduation rates for students with Georgia Southern’s best practices.

• Builds on Armstrong’s nationally recognized leadership in supporting student veterans and active-duty military, which will enable the new institution to reach a much larger student population.

• Reinvests savings from administrative efficiencies into programs to support student success.

• Ensures the new Georgia Southern University’s Savannah campus offerings effectively balance with and complement those provided by Savannah State University.

South campus infrastructure planning is still moving ahead. A new arena is not happening anytime soon. They are spending money on Hanner and have a few more ideas for Hanner. Don't get your hopes up on an arena.