TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 59 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

1. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by 21Eagle View Post
    Why? Hanner is terrible long term and they have a bunch of land waiting for what could be a great and much needed multipurpose facility.
    Haha, yep, why indeed. That is a good question, our young Eagle friend. My hope is that we are playing basketball in a new arena before you graduate. Doubtful, but fingers crossed.

2. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

I took a summer online English at CCGA several years ago and they made me pay for a meal plan and a rec fee even though I never set foot on either of their campuses...so it's not wrong for the ASU students to pay the athletic fee

3. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Hey Emporer,

it doesnt really sound like you understand what's happening.

First off, it doesn't really sound like you're very connected with the goings-on at GSU. It's true GSU has grown tremendously but it has not changed the feel or dynamic of the school. The student to professor ratio is still 21:1 which is unheard of for a university the size of GSU. To put that in perspective, Armstrong's ratio is only 20:1. So for a University 4x it's size to have comparable traits like that is a miracle. In fact, GSU brands itself as Georgia's Large Scale, SMALL FEEL Research University.

Also I'm confused as to why you are sending your child to Berry. It sounds like it's because you don't want to pay an athletic fee or because you want him to go to a small school. If it's because of the athletic fees, were you aware that Berry has a football team and that your child will be paying an athletic fee and also subsidizing a campus stadium if he goes there? If it's really that you think athletics is making colleges overpriced, why then, would you send your child to a school that costs almost 5 times more per year than Georgia Southern?

If you are sending him to Berry because you want him to go to a small school with little brand recognition outside of north ga and virtually no chance at developing a large network and no chance having a large alumni base to help with employment opportunities just so you can say "up yours" to your Alma mater, isn't just selfish, it's downright stupid.

I'm just going based on what it sounds like you are saying in your posts. None of your complaints are grounded in reality and I wish you were aware of that.

Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post
    So...

GSU now has 21.5K students. The soon to be acquired Savannah campus is planned to be doubled to about 14K students. The new South campus that will be built will expand the Statesboro campus by up to 10K more students. Absorbing CoCG would add another 3,500 (rumored).

Georgia Southern could have 48,000 students shortly after the South campus is complete. WOW!!!

Just in student fees, we could be adding $13.5M to our budget at this enrollment level if athletic and facility fee still equals about $500 a student per year. We currently sit at what, about $21M? A $34M athletic budget would be huge! Hopefully we can continue to increase alumni funding in the years to come. This much larger pool of students should help donations significantly going forward.

This event may be the biggest event in GSU history since Erk....even bigger than going FBS.

We shall see...
    You're forgetting about the BoR's new restrictions on athletics spending. We will have to wait and see what our percentage cap is going to be before we can count the new dollars for athletics.

We bring in new student fees without offsetting them with some private contributions, the percent subsidy goes up.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Like all of you except the Emperor, I hope this turns out to be great for GSU and Armstrong. But if you look at what has happened in the other mergers, enrollment generally declines at first. I don't know if the merged schools will regain their enrollment or not. I am a faculty member at a "new" university, as we call it, that was formed from the merger of two schools. We have lost 30 percent of our enrollment since the merger was announced a couple of years ago. I work at Albany State University West Campus, formally known as Darton State College. Four years ago, our enrollment was just over 6,000 students. Now ASU East and West campuses total about that number. GSU and Armstrong are different from ASU and Darton, so I would be shocked if the new GSU loses anywhere near 30 percent of its enrollment. I hope both schools gain, but I would not be shocked if there were a slight enrollment decline at first.

As for athletics, Darton's department is gone. A couple of our coaches became head coaches at the new ASU because they were so successful. Our AD became assistant AD at the new school.

There will be a lot of anxiety and even paranoia at GSU and Armstrong over the next couple of years as this merger takes place. You may not be aware of it from an off-campus perspective, but people will be worried about losing their jobs and that will result in turf protection. I hope it is a smoother transition that ours has been and creates a greater GSU.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEagle View Post
    You make good points, but I will tell you this....I have been a supporter for over 25 years...been a booster and Eagle Fund member....bought tickets and traveled to every sport....Sat in the stands in all three Chattanooga NC games.....so if I have arrived at this point having lost much admiration for GS in many ways......with all this if I am losing interest and people like me are....then GSUs direction may not be the best one.
    Don't speak for "people like me" unless you have polled all of us. I would imagine we have many similarities in regards to demographics. I graduated in 1981, live in Atlanta, have supported my University in more ways than I can count, have volunteered and served in many ways, have donated to many areas, been to literally hundreds of games, supported numerous students (including one of my own...Magna Cum Laude), and have been an unofficial ambassador for years. Myself, and many, many of my friends (both old and new) have supported GS thru every turn and are very excited about the direction we are moving in. Now, that doesn't mean everyone agrees (you and certainly others), but the path is chosen. Either lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way! You are just in the way. You have nothing positive to add at this point other than antagonism. I'm sorry you don't like the direction. I wish you were onboard. But if you not, just fade away. Your negativity is not welcome, at least by me. I've really heard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Borobird View Post
    Like all of you except the Emperor, I hope this turns out to be great for GSU and Armstrong. But if you look at what has happened in the other mergers, enrollment generally declines at first. I don't know if the merged schools will regain their enrollment or not. I am a faculty member at a "new" university, as we call it, that was formed from the merger of two schools. We have lost 30 percent of our enrollment since the merger was announced a couple of years ago. I work at Albany State University West Campus, formally known as Darton State College. Four years ago, our enrollment was just over 6,000 students. Now ASU East and West campuses total about that number. GSU and Armstrong are different from ASU and Darton, so I would be shocked if the new GSU loses anywhere near 30 percent of its enrollment. I hope both schools gain, but I would not be shocked if there were a slight enrollment decline at first.

As for athletics, Darton's department is gone. A couple of our coaches became head coaches at the new ASU because they were so successful. Our AD became assistant AD at the new school.

There will be a lot of anxiety and even paranoia at GSU and Armstrong over the next couple of years as this merger takes place. You may not be aware of it from an off-campus perspective, but people will be worried about losing their jobs and that will result in turf protection. I hope it is a smoother transition that ours has been and creates a greater GSU.
    With 80 something percent of the student body being from the Atlanta area I'm not convinced this will the case for GS. Those currently attending Armstrong may not qualify academically to transfer so yes there may be some short term decrease. JMO

Of all the mergers that have been done which one is most similar to our situation? Maybe Gainesville State into North Georgia?

9. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    With 80 something percent of the student body being from the Atlanta area I'm not convinced this will the case for GS. Those currently attending Armstrong may not qualify academically to transfer so yes there may be some short term decrease. JMO
    Actually, looking at the enrollment data, Armstrong's avg freshman gpa has .02% difference, and the SAT scores are only 90 points lower. Honestly, I think the student body at Southern will largely be unaffected. Armstrong is the regions largest provider of healthcare professionals, so mating it with Southern's Nursing program is going to be huge for both programs.

Also worth noting, Armstrong is apparently our largest source of transferring students (or Armstrong students transfer to GaSo the most, I can't remember) which may be contributing to their 40% 6-year graduation rate. (GaSo is at 60%)

10. Default Re: Georgia Southern and Armstrong to Merge

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    Don't speak for "people like me" unless you have polled all of us. I would imagine we have many similarities in regards to demographics. I graduated in 1981, live in Atlanta, have supported my University in more ways than I can count, have volunteered and served in many ways, have donated to many areas, been to literally hundreds of games, supported numerous students (including one of my own...Magna Cum Laude), and have been an unofficial ambassador for years. Myself, and many, many of my friends (both old and new) have supported GS thru every turn and are very excited about the direction we are moving in. Now, that doesn't mean everyone agrees (you and certainly others), but the path is chosen. Either lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way! You are just in the way. You have nothing positive to add at this point other than antagonism. I'm sorry you don't like the direction. I wish you were onboard. But if you not, just fade away. Your negativity is not welcome, at least by me. I've really heard enough.
    Amen!!