TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic shot at a postseason?

1. Default Realistic shot at a postseason?

Do we have a chance to win it all in the big easy or say a prayer and get an NIT bid

Default Re: Realistic shot at a postseason?

Zero chance of getting to the NCAAs without a tournament championship.

According to Karl Benson any team that wins the RS and doesn't win the tournament automatically goes to the NIT. That's even less likely to happen than a tourny championship, though.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

NIT will be automatic if we win the regular season title due to the lawsuit vs the NCAA. We are a 1 bid league, so it's win in NOLA or bust. We are on no ones radar with an at large bid. Our SOS and RPI are too low and we have zero wins over RPI top 50 teams. Teams from the "BCS" take up most of the at large bids.

Potentially you're looking at:
    ACC 9 at large bids
    BG1 6
    Big 12 5
    Pac 12 4
    SEC 3
    AAC 1
    WCC 1
    MVC 1
    A10 1

Look at the bubble teams. These will the the last in/first out.
    Michigan St
    USC
    Cali
    Marquette
    Seton Hall
    Illini St
    Tech
    TCU
    K State
    Wake
    Clemson
    UT
    Vandy
    Providence
    Hoosiers
    Pitt

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...y/bubble-watch
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 24th February 2017 at 07:18 AM.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

if we don't win the tourny, we won't be in the post season at all. Maybe one of the other obscure tournaments, but no NIT, that's for sure.

5. Default Re: Realistic shot at a postseason?

Hope we can pull off a miracle

Quote Originally Posted by GSUALLDAY25 View Post
    Hope we can pull off a miracle
    Getting a bye will be huge, not getting one will mean stringing a few high intensity well played games together ie, shoot well, rebound well, defend well, minimal turnovers and decent foul shooting. I'm not sure we can sustain that over 3 or how many games in a row. Our chances would be a lot better if we had a big horse in the middle. So, yep, the only way we make post season is winning SB tournament. Regarding those other goofy non NCAA or NIT tournaments, didn't someone post last year that the schools playing in them have to pay a fee to get into them? And you know how we are with money, so I'd doubt we pay for play.

7. Default Re: Realistic shot at a postseason?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUALLDAY25 View Post
    Do we have a chance to win it all in the big easy or say a prayer and get an NIT bid
    IMO the only way we win the SBC Tourney is if someone else beats UTA, I believe we can beat anyone else on a neutral court. However, stringing 2-3 of those wins together is asking a lot, the odds are not in our favor, but it is possible.

8. Default Re: Realistic shot at a postseason?

I believe we have the team to beat UTA if they don't make the poor decisions with the basketball that they did down the stretch last week at Hanner.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    IMO the only way we win the SBC Tourney is if someone else beats UTA, I believe we can beat anyone else on a neutral court. However, stringing 2-3 of those wins together is asking a lot, the odds are not in our favor, but it is possible.

We can certainly beat them if the officials do not let #45 camp out under the basket. If I noticed it, you know it was bad.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    We can certainly beat them if the officials do not let #45 camp out under the basket. If I noticed it, you know it was bad.
    very good point, I noticed a few times 3 seconds could have been called, heck if they called it once on him it would have helped him being so comfortable down in there, none of our bigs were causing him any discomfort.