TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Feasibility Study Commissioned

1. Default Re: Coliseum Feasibility Study Commissioned

If they really are considering placing it by Beautiful Eagle Creek on the old football practice fields, I think that would be a home run. With Statesboro trying to revitalize the downtown area and turn the Blue Mile into an actual thing, Georgia Southern needs to be growing toward downtown not away from it. It would make me feel better knowing that the fields and Beautiful Eagle Creek wouldn't become some vacant lot on the edge of campus and we would already have plenty of parking over there. It might also boost economic development in the immediate area. Lord knows that section across the street by Gnats needs a face lift. If we built it across Veterans Memorial we would have to clear land, run utilities out there, build parking, and we would be stretching the campus pretty thin. Plus those apartments over there aren't exactly friendly and inviting places for fans to be around...

Default Re: Coliseum Feasibility Study Commissioned

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    it wouldn't make much sense to only build enough seats for the crowds we get now. As others mentioned, it could be used for other events, and should we really get good in bball for a few year span and make some tourny appearances, we could potentially see crowds that size. It makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    I would gather it would be built in a way to be used for more than just basketball, especially if Bulloch County and Statesboro chip in.

It is better to have it and not need it then need it an not have it when it comes to athletics. Remember when people thought the Parrish center was all we would ever need for football.

I would like to see the south stands at the stadium be done first but this was 1B for athletics. Good for the basketball programs and at least we will know facilities will no longer limit our potential.
    Not saying I necessarily agree, just clarifying what I am confident the point was.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    If they really are considering placing it by Beautiful Eagle Creek on the old football practice fields, I think that would be a home run. With Statesboro trying to revitalize the downtown area and turn the Blue Mile into an actual thing, Georgia Southern needs to be growing toward downtown not away from it. It would make me feel better knowing that the fields and Beautiful Eagle Creek wouldn't become some vacant lot on the edge of campus and we would already have plenty of parking over there. It might also boost economic development in the immediate area. Lord knows that section across the street by Gnats needs a face lift. If we built it across Veterans Memorial we would have to clear land, run utilities out there, build parking, and we would be stretching the campus pretty thin. Plus those apartments over there aren't exactly friendly and inviting places for fans to be around...
    do they not practice on the practice fields anymore??

The fields will probably be taken over by soccer.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: Coliseum Feasibility Study Commissioned

Quote Originally Posted by O.M.T. GATA View Post
    do they not practice on the practice fields anymore??
    They might use them sometimes but they mainly practice at Paulson now. That was one of the main reasons for putting turf down.

6. Default Re: Coliseum Feasibility Study Commissioned

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The fields will probably be taken over by soccer.
    Unless soccer moves to the Savannah campus. No jk.

Regardless, I've been saying we should build something there. I wouldn't mind seeing a KSU-style soccer facility over there that GSU and Tormenta FC could both use.

They might use them sometimes but they mainly practice at Paulson now. That was one of the main reasons for putting turf down.
    well no wonder we stunk it up last season.. they need to be crossing beautiful eagle creek more often!

Quote Originally Posted by O.M.T. GATA View Post
    well no wonder we stunk it up last season.. they need to be crossing beautiful eagle creek more often!
    They did camp out there. During the season I think Paulson is used more because it saves time on setup/moving equipment around.

I think they do still use the practice fields during the season though.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUALLDAY25 View Post
    This needs to happen. Goes way beyond the need for just basketball. Hanner is ancient and does not serve the growing needs of the school.
    Ancient? Okay...... I just don't get the disdain for Hanner that some folks have.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Unless soccer moves to the Savannah campus. No jk.

Regardless, I've been saying we should build something there. I wouldn't mind seeing a KSU-style soccer facility over there that GSU and Tormenta FC could both use.
    Why would we need two soccer facilities?
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987