TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Schenkel Invitational

Default 2017 Schenkel Invitational

Georgia Southern sits in Second Place after the First Round at -8, just one stroke behind first place College of Charleston.

http://www.golfstatresults.com/publi...team&tid=12405

Brett Barron shot a -5 67 opening round, just one stroke back of the leader.

http://www.golfstatresults.com/publi...ayer&tid=12405
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

2. Default Re: 2017 Schenkel Invitational

Now let's finish strong

Default Re: 2017 Schenkel Invitational

GS killing it today
    in first now up by 8 strokes
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    GS killing it today
    in first now up by 8 strokes
    Hail Southern!

5. Default Re: 2017 Schenkel Invitational

Heck yea!

Still in First but the lead has narrowed
    3 stroke lead
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Georgia Southern finishes Round Two strong in First Place (-20), seven strokes ahead of Second Place Vanderbilt. Brett Barron leads all golfers with an -11 through two rounds.
    Josiah McDaniel
    B.S. in Journalism, 2003
    Statesboro, GA
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." --I Corinthians 13:11

"In which sports are we nationally competitive?"

Well, we've got a 7 stroke lead on the #2 team in the nation and an 8 stroke lead on the #5 team in the nation, I'd say that qualifies.

9. Default Re: 2017 Schenkel Invitational

If you are anywhere near Statesboro make plans to be at Forest Heights Country Club today. We have a 7 shot lead heading into final round. Never has a Georgia Southern sports team had an opportunity like this one. We have a chance to knock off 2 top 5 teams (they have been 1 and 2 all year until Wednesday) in Statesboro. This is like us leading Alabama by 21 in the third quarter. You would want to see that wouldn't you? And this situation is the same. It is going to be difficult to hold off powers like we have on our heels but a home crowd can help inspire the boys. We tee off at 10:00 and will make the turn around 12:15 so make your plans. These Eagles need you! GATA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rec-Les Tailgating Crew View Post
    If you are anywhere near Statesboro make plane to be at Forest Heights Country Club today. We have a 7 shot lead heading into final round. Never has a Georgia Southern sports team had an opportunity like this one. We have a chance to knock off 2 top 5 teams (they have been 1 and 2 all year until Wednesday) in Statesboro. This is like us leading Alabama by 21 in the third quarter. You would want to see that wouldn't you? And this situation is the same. It is going to be difficult to hold off powers like we have on our heels but a home crowd can help inspire the boys. We tee off at 10:00 and will make the turn around 12:15 so make your plans. These Eagles need you! GATA!!
    Our Golf program, for many chunks of years throughout its existence, has been a perennial Top 25 team. We have elite facilities and our state plus all bordering states are Golf hotbeds and fertile recruiting zones. We have had several tour players that produced at a VERY high level all around the globe, including the PGA Tour. I would disagree that our 7 stroke lead is like leading 'Bama in Football by 21 points going into the fourth quarter. If this were an individual event, I'd be inclined to agree. In a team event, that lead can expand or evaporate in a 4-6 hole stretch like water on scalding hot pavement. I played one year at GS and on the mini-tours and have seen this ring true on multiple occasions. I do hope our team stays focused and locks up the W on our home course. We have recruited especially well the last 2-3 years and are VERY deep. Larry has done an awesome job as Director of Golf and Carter has learned well and is an excellent Head Coach and top notch recruiter!

Golf Alumni

Blake Adams (HOF) - Former PGA Tour Player with 8 Top-10s and over $3Mil in career earnings

Buddy Alexander (HOF) - Two time All-American + 2nd in 1978 Ga Open + Won 1986 US Amateur + Played in 1987 and 1988 Masters + former Eagle Head Coach

Richie Bryant (HOF) - Ninth all-time in GS stroke avg + Tied low round at Schenkel with 63 (-9) + Won Schenkel Invitational in 1989

Mike Donald (HOF) - PGA Tour Player + Won 1984 JC Penny Classic and 1990 Sazale Classic + Lost in playoff at 1990 US Open to Hale Irwin at Medinah CC

Jimmy Ellis (HOF) - 1973 All-American + Won 4 College Events including the 1973 Schenkel Invitational + Member of 1975 Walker Cup Team + Former Champions Tour Player

Steve Ford (HOF) - 3 College Tournament Victories + 2nd Place at 1987 NCAA Championships as an Individual + Semi-Finalist at 1987 US Amateur and played in 1988 Masters

Jodie Mudd (HOF) - Former PGA Tour Player + Amateur Golfer of the Year in 1981, First team All-American, Walker Cup Team, US Public Links Champion + Low Amateur at 1982 Masters + 1st player to win back to back Public Links Amateur Championship in 1980 & 1981 + Only player to win all of his matches in 1981 Walker Cup + Won 1980 Kentucky Amateur & Kentucky Open +Won 4 PGA Tour Events including the 1990 Player's Championship over Mark Calcavecchia

Aron Price (HOF) - Former PGA Tour Player with 4 Top-10s and 12 Top-25s and over $1.5 Mil in earnings + 12 College Tournament Victories + 2005 All-American + Lowest single season stroke avg at 70.97 and 72.05 career stroke avg is second only to Jodie Mudd on GS's all-time list

Gene Sauers (HOF) - Former PGA Tour Player with 3 Wins + 1 European Senior Tour Victory and 1 Web.com Tour Victory + Won Georgia Open 3 times in 1983, 1985 & 1986 + Youngest player on PGA Tour in 1984 + Current PGA Seniors Champions Tour Player with a victory at last year's US Senior Open + 7 Top-10 placements in 1983 at the Collegiate Level

Adam Thomas - Top 25 ranked Junior player in the country and winner of the + 1995 Georgia Amateur Champion + 2002 7th Place Yamaha Atlanta Open + 1990 Quarterfinalist in US Junior Amateur opposite winner Tiger Woods + Tie 7th at 2013 Georgia Four-Ball Championships + 2nd Place 2007 Georgia Mid-Amateur Championship
    Last edited by eagle95; 19th March 2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Aaron Stone
    GS Alum & Class of '95
    Health/PE Degree
    gsufans.com Donor
    gsufans.com member since 2007
    Sugar Hill, GA