TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 162

Thread: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

  1. #21

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post

    More importantly, who would be willing to come here with 1. salary below the market value 2. our softball facilities.

    Waiting for #1Hoopster with a valid logic answer.
    Maggie Johnson was an assistant coach at Radford when she was hired. An assistant coach at a Big South school.

    I'm sure the salary is probably better now, but not a whole lot better.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  2. #22

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post

    More importantly, who would be willing to come here with 1. salary below the market value 2. our softball facilities.

    Waiting for #1Hoopster with a valid logic answer.
    Plenty of people, someone looking to use our job as a stepping stone. Sure we don't pay well, but neither does most of the other softball programs. Sure our facilities are not the best, but better than a lot of other programs.
    We are a DI program and play in one of the better softball conferences in the country. We hired Erk with no facilities, no money, etc. Glad Bucky Wagner didn't settle for those excuses when he went looking for a coach.

  3. #23

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Looks like hot take Tuesday...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    42,687

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Plenty of people, someone looking to use our job as a stepping stone. Sure we don't pay well, but neither does most of the other softball programs. Sure our facilities are not the best, but better than a lot of other programs.
    We are a DI program and play in one of the better softball conferences in the country. We hired Erk with no facilities, no money, etc. Glad Bucky Wagner didn't settle for those excuses when he went looking for a coach.
    You just compared a non revenue sport, softball which costs us money, we lose money fielding a team, to a sport that brings the school millions per year.

    Exactly how is an up and coming assistant different than a DII coach? Heck the hot assistant probably makes more than what we pay. It's a no brainer if you have one. She's got 7 years of asst coaching experience and took over a team and made the NCAA's. As we've seen with several of our football hires, you can take a winning team and have a losing record. It bridges the gap for the merger.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  5. #25

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    I'm so confused...

    TK is really tough on his coaches and is really stingy and stubborn when negotiating contracts and may have played a role in running more than one football coach off.

    But somehow he also gave job vacancies to Armstrong coaches because he cares about political correctness and charity for Armstrong coaches than the programs.

    Jekyll and Hyde I tell you.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  6. #26

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    You just compared a non revenue sport, softball which costs us money, we lose money fielding a team, to a sport that brings the school millions per year.

    Exactly how is an up and coming assistant different than a DII coach? Heck the hot assistant probably makes more than what we pay. It's a no brainer if you have one. She's got 7 years of asst coaching experience and took over a team and made the NCAA's. As we've seen with several of our football hires, you can take a winning team and have a losing record. It bridges the gap for the merger.
    The money we put into a softball coach is going to be the same no matter who we hire. That salary figure is a set budget item and we aren't going to bump it up to draw a coach to come. So it doesn't matter if we hire the best coach in the country or the worst the cost will not increase. Softball is a non revenue sport and more than likely will stay that way as long as the AD doesn't care about it. Plenty of teams make money on there softball program or cut there loss on it by building the program. ULL sells more season tickets for softball than we do for baseball.

    Yes, I compared a non revenue sport to football because it's the same thing we it comes to salaries, we have a salary budgeted for both and when we make a hire the new coach is going to have to be willing to take that slotted salary figure. that limits our pool of available coaches, but that's the limitation every sport is faced with. For the record, when Bucky hire Erk we didn't have a football program bringing in millions. In the early years football was a drain on the budget. Bucky sold Erk on what GS could become not what it was. Gave him a good sales pitch and talked him into the job.

    Assistant vs DII coach. The assistant applied for the job and yes I agree that the money may not have been there, but you sure do make the offer and give him the Bucky Wagner sales pitch.
    Nothing at all wrong with hiring a DII head coach, but get one that has built a program. Signed kids and recruited the area. One that has a proven record over time. If Ted Evans was still at Armstrong then it makes sense. Coach Dean was handed a power house team and she managed them well in her one season at Armstrong. End of story.

    If I had $1,000 to invest I could buy mutual fund shares or a lottery ticket. I could make money or lose money with both, but one investment is clearly is better than the other.
    With TS and KD we went with the lottery ticket. I hope we get lucky with both.

  7. Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    As i have said in past posts I have some familiarity with Armstrong's athletic program living here down the street from campus. Unlike most, I have seen their teams play, including the softball team. Some need to get over the D1/D2 stuff. A top 5 D2 program is better than most of the teams in our conference. That is fact. 1Hoooster is right, she is a coach with 1 season of HC experience that took a team that the previous coach built to the D2 college World Series. The same place the previous coach took them several times. I hope she does well. You can argue that both the Armstrong coaches we hired inherited powerhouse progrmes, but at least the tennis coach has a lot of experience. At least the merger has brought some attention to some of the lesser sports. There is a ton of potential to be better and that is a good thing.

  8. Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm so confused...

    TK is really tough on his coaches and is really stingy and stubborn when negotiating contracts and may have played a role in running more than one football coach off.

    But somehow he also gave job vacancies to Armstrong coaches because he cares about political correctness and charity for Armstrong coaches than the programs.

    Jekyll and Hyde I tell you.
    If I had to guess, I would say that the direction to hire some ASU staff came from above him.

  9. #29

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say that the direction to hire some ASU staff came from above him.
    +1. Or at least there was some strong influence from above.

  10. #30

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    I would feel very confident in saying that the coaches who are coming over from the now shuttered Armstrong program would NOT be coming unless they were capable of improving our productivity in their respective sports.

    Previous posters have thrown out names like Evans and Davenport, but neither of them would have been a serious candidate here most likely. Evans exit (whether it was right or wrong I have zero idea) left some questions that OUR athletic department would most likely steer clear from, especially after the Dorsey fiasco. Whether that is or isn't fair to Evans is immaterial .. that's reality. I say this with zero conversation or knowledge of whether Evans even applied or expressed interest in the position.

    Davenport has built a fine program at UNG (I had to look him up on their website to read about his accolades, which are many), but I seriously doubt he'd leave 'home' and his $80K salary (2015 numbers) to come to Statesboro. His wife is from Gainesville. He's not risking all that to move in-state UP a division, IMO. Not to mention, the person we just hired beat him 2-0 in the super regionals.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.





Similar Threads

  1. Kansas Hires A Coach
    By BOWLINGEAGLEGSU in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th December 2014, 10:00 PM
  2. Ga. State hires new coach
    By goldeneagle75 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 1st December 2012, 10:52 AM
  3. Furman hires their new football coach...
    By charliek. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th December 2010, 03:57 PM
  4. WKU Hires New Coach
    By gatadotcom in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd November 2009, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •