TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 162

Thread: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

  1. #31

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Ok here goes, if Garns could recruit 2-3 stud gals that could pitch "lights out", and do that every 4 years, they would be building me a bronze of my likeness in front of our new and improved softball complex. Welcome to Garns Field! That sums up college softball, Pitching. You got it or you don't.

  2. #32

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by Savannahkid View Post
    As i have said in past posts I have some familiarity with Armstrong's athletic program living here down the street from campus. Unlike most, I have seen their teams play, including the softball team. Some need to get over the D1/D2 stuff. A top 5 D2 program is better than most of the teams in our conference. That is fact. 1Hoooster is right, she is a coach with 1 season of HC experience that took a team that the previous coach built to the D2 college World Series. The same place the previous coach took them several times. I hope she does well. You can argue that both the Armstrong coaches we hired inherited powerhouse progrmes, but at least the tennis coach has a lot of experience. At least the merger has brought some attention to some of the lesser sports. There is a ton of potential to be better and that is a good thing.
    I'm excited to see what both coaches can do. I think it's a smart political move to try and sow the two campuses together as neatly as possible. They both have good track records. I've posted on here for more than a decade and I can hardly remember a time where softball was even discussed. Now everyone seems to be an expert and ready to pounce on every move TK makes. I don't think this is Summers 2.0 at all.

  3. Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    I'm excited to see what both coaches can do. I think it's a smart political move to try and sow the two campuses together as neatly as possible. They both have good track records. I've posted on here for more than a decade and I can hardly remember a time where softball was even discussed. Now everyone seems to be an expert and ready to pounce on every move TK makes. I don't think this is Summers 2.0 at all.
    +1

    Also, excited to see what they can do. IMO it had to happen this way, one way or another a ASU coach was going to be retained (not 'raided', as I read earlier) as a GS coach. Had the AD staff commissioned a poll of Eagle Nation which sport(s) they would prefer this political implementation I would imagine that Tennis and Softball would be near the top of the list- definitely above baseball & basketball. If this is indeed a gesture to help merge thousands of ASU students/alums/fans with GS, and the down side is offending a hundred GS softball fans, I get it.

  4. #34

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    I would feel very confident in saying that the coaches who are coming over from the now shuttered Armstrong program would NOT be coming unless they were capable of improving our productivity in their respective sports.

    Previous posters have thrown out names like Evans and Davenport, but neither of them would have been a serious candidate here most likely. Evans exit (whether it was right or wrong I have zero idea) left some questions that OUR athletic department would most likely steer clear from, especially after the Dorsey fiasco. Whether that is or isn't fair to Evans is immaterial .. that's reality. I say this with zero conversation or knowledge of whether Evans even applied or expressed interest in the position.

    Davenport has built a fine program at UNG (I had to look him up on their website to read about his accolades, which are many), but I seriously doubt he'd leave 'home' and his $80K salary (2015 numbers) to come to Statesboro. His wife is from Gainesville. He's not risking all that to move in-state UP a division, IMO. Not to mention, the person we just hired beat him 2-0 in the super regionals.
    I agree with you that Davenport probably doesn't take the job, but you don't know that unless you ask (if you determine that he is the best coach for the job) I feel confident that everybody on this board would have said there was no way Erk would leave GA to start up a football program in Statesboro. But he did.
    I don't think Evans name was brought up as a candidate for the job (because right or wrong he was fired at Armstrong) Just as an example of the type coach we should have been looking for.

    IMO the AD's job is to find and hire the most qualified coach for every sport (isn't that the reason we do a national search...haha) We owe that to the kids.

  5. #35

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Might there be something to Coach Dean knowing the Armstrong players and after evaluation of the current GS rooster - be able to know if offering any available scholarship would be of benefit to the team?

    Someone - who has a daughter playing for Armstrong - told me that if the girls tried out at Southern - then they had to give up their full ride even if they didn't make it. Just doesn't sound right to me - but either way - NOW our HC knows them all.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    43,434

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Might there be something to Coach Dean knowing the Armstrong players and after evaluation of the current GS rooster - be able to know if offering any available scholarship would be of benefit to the team?

    Someone - who has a daughter playing for Armstrong - told me that if the girls tried out at Southern - then they had to give up their full ride even if they didn't make it. Just doesn't sound right to me - but either way - NOW our HC knows them all.
    It appears that tuition, room, board, etc are pretty much the same, $20K per year between both schools.

    D2 softball has 7.2 scholarships with no limit on how many players that accounts for, not exactly how how many girls they had on full rides.


    Division II relies on a partial-scholarship model to administer athletics-based financial aid. Very few of the 110,000 student-athletes competing in Division II will receive a full athletics grant that covers all of their expenses, but most of them will receive some athletics-based financial aid to help them through school

    http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-ii-partial-scholarship-model
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  7. Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Ok here goes, if Garns could recruit 2-3 stud gals that could pitch "lights out", and do that every 4 years, they would be building me a bronze of my likeness in front of our new and improved softball complex. Welcome to Garns Field! That sums up college softball, Pitching. You got it or you don't.
    I think that's every coaches plan. Easier said than done.

  8. #38

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    It appears that tuition, room, board, etc are pretty much the same, $20K per year between both schools.

    D2 softball has 7.2 scholarships with no limit on how many players that accounts for, not exactly how how many girls they had on full rides.


    Division II relies on a partial-scholarship model to administer athletics-based financial aid. Very few of the 110,000 student-athletes competing in Division II will receive a full athletics grant that covers all of their expenses, but most of them will receive some athletics-based financial aid to help them through school

    http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-ii-partial-scholarship-model

    His daughter had (has) a full ride at Armstrong - was recruited by Southern but only offered a partial = why she signed with Armstrong instead.

  9. #39

    Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Dixie Raley asked for her release and is looking at other schools. Too bad, she is a good one.

    http://www.unionrecorder.com/sports/...ca491f029.html
    Hail Southern and no place else!

  10. Default Re: GS hires new softball coach (Armstrong coach)

    Quote Originally Posted by mounsen View Post
    Dixie Raley asked for her release and is looking at other schools. Too bad, she is a good one.

    http://www.unionrecorder.com/sports/...ca491f029.html
    Ugh, who is taking bets on which SEC program she will attend? I wish her all the best.

Similar Threads

  1. Kansas Hires A Coach
    By BOWLINGEAGLEGSU in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th December 2014, 10:00 PM
  2. Ga. State hires new coach
    By goldeneagle75 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 1st December 2012, 10:52 AM
  3. Furman hires their new football coach...
    By charliek. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th December 2010, 03:57 PM
  4. WKU Hires New Coach
    By gatadotcom in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd November 2009, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •