TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Former OC's to Sue Georgia Southern for Fraud

Default Re: Former OC's to Sue Georgia Southern for Fraud

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbetterthanpurple View Post
    Agree with you on some of this stuff, but he clearly messed up the Fritz situation by offering a next to nothing contract to a qualified coach.
    $700k plus bonuses plus extensions into perpetuity with seven wins in the weakest conference in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by OliveBranchEagle View Post
    Wow!! Things are looking up in Eagle Nation! Safe to say the dark days are behind us
    That's not safe to say at all! Your optimism is almost scary.

3. Default Re: Former OC's to Sue Georgia Southern for Fraud

This is from Frank's story.

The Order on Motion to Dismiss states that the Board of Regents (Georgia Southern University), Athletic Director Tom Kleinlein, Associate Athletic Director for Business Operations Jeff Blythe, Director of Football Operations Cymone George and former head coach Tyson Summers have collectively moved to dismiss Plantiff's complaint on sovereign immunity grounds and for failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

Dean and Gillespie filed the lawsuits back in June.

The two former co-offensive coordinators alleged breach of contract, fraud and interference after Georgia Southern failed to execute the 18-month contracts the coaches initially signed.

Dean and Gillespie allege they were pressured to sign shorter deals two days before their dismissal from the school and football program.

David Dean and Rance Gillespie's claims against the Georgia Southern Athletic Foundation remain pending.

http://amp.wjcl.com/article/lawsuits...issed/13981766

So the case isn't over. The judge just ruled the case against the university and university employees is tossed on sovereign immunity grounds. But the case against the private athletic foundation can proceed.

It's a big victory for the school and the employees, but still a possible black eye for the football program if the case proceeds to trial. Next step is discovery, then summary judgment motions. Then trial, if it gets that far.

5. Default Re: Former OC's to Sue Georgia Southern for Fraud

Disclaimer: the following is is pure speculation on my part....

I believe we have seen the first step of the closure and winning of this lawsuit by GS and associated parties. First the judge dismisses the case against the State (employees and departments) based on sovereign immunity grounds. So now the Athletic Foundation is on the hook. I expect we will next hear that the "blame" for the mix up on the first unexecuted contract will shift towards the "State" and that AF was not involved at this point? "Hey guys we don't sign the contract until the BOR signs it" or something similar. So the blame shifts to a party that can't be sued. Also the people involved with the "new" contract signed "under duress" were all state employees and not AF reps. So we may have a situation where the remaining defendant can prove they were not at fault and the case collapses like the running lanes under these two jokers offense in 2016!

Edit: I re-read the original filing linked from the USA today article and noticed no AF employees are referenced in the narrative on how they were supposedly coerced and under duress forced to sign the new contract. So if the coercion was done by State employees then it is kind of hard to prove the AF as the remaining party was at fault for this.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    $700k plus bonuses plus extensions into perpetuity with seven wins in the weakest conference in the country?
    "Weak" is relative. We're not an SEC team. Our peers in our conference aren't "weak" compared to GS.

Case ain't over gang. Some of you seriously thought there was no merit to this? TK and the administration just hiding behind sovereign immunity to do their shady bull****.

I agree. This is still in its infancy.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

9. Default Re: Former OC's to Sue Georgia Southern for Fraud

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Case ain't over gang. Some of you seriously thought there was no merit to this? TK and the administration just hiding behind sovereign immunity to do their shady bull****.
    Actually I think what it is going to come down to is the AF proving they were not involved with the contract screw up and that the BOR wanted all football coaching contracts to be uniform and to end in the same day (I recall reading that somewhere that they wold not sign off on contracts beyond end of February for any school not just GS). So if the State was the driver behind the new contract then the lawyer can argue the AF was not at fault.

What I really think happened is the BOR refused to sign the original contract because of the end date and sent it back to the school. Then it got filed and forgotten about until TK pulled them out to review the terms when he first started considering firing them. At that point they realized they screwed up and never had a fully executed contract and quickly began trying to get one signed with the February end date. Since the State is no longer at risk financially that may be the narrative pushed. "Hey we screwed up but it is not the AF fault".

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Bad couple of months for the TK haters. The talking point that he alienated the Paul Johnson coaching tree is gone, as is the idea he failed to do anything to keep Fritz, and so is the idea we goofed up on D&G's contracts. Get your creative minds to work and come up with something new!

(Actually, it is possible to be in the right legally and morally in the wrong, but I'm guessing we never hear anything about it.)
    I hate to even get back into this, because I'm not even a dyed-in-the-wool 'TK hater', but I think the following are worth considering if you're going to beat this drum:

There WAS some substance to the negative feelings between 'certain coaching circles' and TK. However, I was pleasantly surprised to learn of Davis' solid interest and Bohannon's willingness to at least take our call, so at least we know that it wasn't a complete non-starter. However, the way Davis was handled this time around certainly wouldn't be expected to improve things on that front going forward, do you think?

While there was a late (likely essentially a counter-) offer to Fritz, it remains questionable if this was an example of too little too late and that 'we' misgauged the market for Fritz.

I'll admit that the coaching search appears to have been broader than I feared, it still appears to have fallen short of producing a quality pool of candidates who represented real options for being hired. Whether that is the process, the personalities, or just my inflated perception of the job, I don't know.

On the contract issue. . . not so fast, my friend.
    Last edited by GATAlac El Dorado; 30th November 2017 at 08:49 AM.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!