TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is TS the real interim coach?

Default Is TS the real interim coach?

Not trying to be cute, or funny, or anything. Just asking the question. Was Tyson Summers brought in as a mere position marker? Is TK holding this head coaching spot "Open" for another candidate, perhaps even one who was never formally interviewed? If so, whom could this be, and why go to such trouble to hold open a job?

Think about it, the scheduling inhales vigorously, with five/four home games, realistically no-win OOC games on the road, and the bar set high by the previous head coach who got out while the gettin' was good. What could Tyson Summers achieve that had not already been done by Willie Fritz/Dell McGee? The big contract is the only reason for TS to buy-in, TK knew it, and the guaranteed money was too much to turn down. The buyout was a Ruse, pun intended.

Either this, or another wealthy donor, like the BVG backer, stepped up and pushed for this. If so, this amounts to taking Georgia Southern football fans hostage. But I don't buy that play, I'm going with my first theory. Holding the job open for candidate x, whenever they get ready to take the job.
    Fire Sam Baker! The rest will take care of itself.

Default Re: Is TS the real interim coach?

I'm categorically skeptical of any suggestions of conspiracies in any arena which require more than a couple of moving parts or superhuman levels of secrecy, the only thing I'm wondering about your scenario is: who is this candidate 'X'?

I can't believe you constructed this theory from scratch out of the various bits of information in front of all of us. These pieces could only be strung together looking backward from the name of a particular coach whose name had been established first.

During the search that landed us TS, it was suggested to me that a monster donor of another program was prepared to underwrite our (high dollar) hire of a certain P5 DC whose name popped up briefly late in the process in order to orchestrate a series of events intended to land his preferred HC candidate at his school. That was almost plausible simply because it was so specific and wasn't contrived in order to explain something that had already happened.

Also, as to scenario B, do we really have such heavyweight boosters that are both capable of and desirous of pulling strings in this manner?

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    During the search that landed us TS, it was suggested to me that a monster donor of another program was prepared to underwrite our (high dollar) hire of a certain P5 DC whose name popped up briefly late in the process in order to orchestrate a series of events intended to land his preferred HC candidate at his school. That was almost plausible simply because it was so specific and wasn't contrived in order to explain something that had already happened.

This is interesting. Can you elaborate? Did the plan work (did the other school get the coach they wanted)? Can we assume this other coach was/is also one we might have/had an interest in hiring?
    Fire Sam Baker! The rest will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbacker View Post
    This is interesting. Can you elaborate? Did the plan work (did the other school get the coach they wanted)? Can we assume this other coach was/is also one we might have/had an interest in hiring?
    Purported plan did not come to fruition. I don't know if we had/would have any real interest. It was sort of an out-of-left-field name to me, but then again, not as far out of left field as the one we hired.

This isn't rocket science, TK hit a HR with Fritz. He currently is at the plate (with CTS), no balls, two strikes and he's facing Nolan Ryan when Ryan was at his prime, great curve ball and we know about his fast ball. It doesn't look good for the home team. There is nothing more to read into it. Good hire vs a poor hire. The question remains and will remain, when will TK pull the trigger and GS starts over again. Now, if CTS turns this season around and we make a bowl game, NOTHING changes. But if losing continues.....WHEN do we start over? We are in the "Dark Years PartII". Chin up Eagle Nation, the Dark Years PartI didn't last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbacker View Post
    I could elaborate more, but you don't have private messages enabled?

Not an original thought to me, though I can't remember who to attribute it to on here, but I wonder if the fact that we have pending litigation out there concerning the termination of two other football staff members may be hampering our ability to make a change in-season or even post-season this year. BOR politics is a real concern that affects every decision university president's have to make, I know this to be fact. If I'm a BOR member, which is more embarrassing to me, a lower tier school within our system has a couple terrible years of football? Or, a lower tier school within our system gets sued for improper termination and is a revolving door for coaches?

8. Default Re: Is TS the real interim coach?

I would buy that theory IF he were given a more appropriate short term contract.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Purported plan did not come to fruition. I don't know if we had/would have any real interest. It was sort of an out-of-left-field name to me, but then again, not as far out of left field as the one we hired.
    I answered your questions, now spill it, who you supposin' is this mystery super coach?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    This isn't rocket science, TK hit a HR with Fritz. He currently is at the plate (with CTS), no balls, two strikes and he's facing Nolan Ryan when Ryan was at his prime, great curve ball and we know about his fast ball. It doesn't look good for the home team. There is nothing more to read into it. Good hire vs a poor hire. The question remains and will remain, when will TK pull the trigger and GS starts over again. Now, if CTS turns this season around and we make a bowl game, NOTHING changes. But if losing continues.....WHEN do we start over? We are in the "Dark Years PartII". Chin up Eagle Nation, the Dark Years PartI didn't last forever.
    Bingo. Remember how careful the decision makers were with hiring Fritz and operating under a very unique bonus heavy contract? I personally think TK was very worried about messing up that hire. I think because of the success of that hire that the committee got overconfident, and thought we could just make a winner. I think a lot of people are trying to spin a bad hire into some kind of conspiracy because of their own anger and personal opinion of our AD.