TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Early Rumors

1. Default Re: Early Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by wonmoretime View Post
    Yeah who wants to go a crappy 7-4 running the option. What coach running something other than TO here has had 7-4 record?
    Willie Fritz. In our first ever season in FBS. Because he has been a successful head coach everywhere he's been.

Default Re: Early Rumors

Yeah who wants to go a crappy 7-4 running the option. What coach running something other than TO here has had 7-4 record?
    When 2 of the 3 are BVD and Summers it really would have nothing to do with what offense they ran. Especially since Summers "tried" to run the TO and had no idea what he was doing with it. As I said....its more about the right coach than it is the offense
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    Lead. Pipe Lock.

Someone will be accepting the head coaching position.
    Yeah how bout some Eagleskins!

4. Default Re: Early Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    Willie Fritz. In our first ever season in FBS. Because he has been a successful head coach everywhere he's been.
    But what he ran was option out of shotgun right? I know not exclusively but it was there.

Also 7-4 gets you FIRED with this fanbase!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

6. Default Re: Early Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    Lead. Pipe Lock.

Someone will be accepting the head coaching position.
    This guy obviously is well connected to those in the know.

But what he ran was option out of shotgun right? I know not exclusively but it was there.
    I would say 50% of offense was option based.
    Go Eagles!!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Also 7-4 gets you FIRED with this fanbase!
    It supposedly gets you an extension to your contract?
    Go Eagles!!

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I disagree, that consistency will undoubtedly bring more fans to the program (which is great), but hardly enough to move the national television ratings needle. But, convince the hiring committee that the flex will increase ratings, not me.
    Then what does move the ratings needle? If not winning, then is whatever it is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Nice that you cherry picked only one season of 6-5 but ignored the four others that we were 7-4. And you also cannot ignore the Ellwood season because it was still a flex season. According to the "flex or bust" crowd" (and no I'm no lumping you into that crowd) it's the flex that is the key, not the coach or the execution of the offense. So the Ellwood year stays in IMO.

So let's go into a little detail..... between '85 and '13 when Monken left we had 28 seasons. Four of which were BVD and Hatcher and not the flex, so 24 seasons. We had seasons of 7-4 or worse in '91, '92, 94, '95, '03, '13 or 6 seasons. So 25% of our seasons where we ran the flex we were 7-4 or worse. That is in IAA/FCS with almost zero real competition. That is also including 10 seasons with Erk and PJ who are widely renowned as all-time, historic level, premiere coaches. But wait......is it the coach or is it the flex? What happens if we don't have a genius/all-timer/hall of fame coach. So in the 14 years of flex without Erk/PJ we have 7 out of 14 or 50% of our seasons at or below 7-4. WAIT......that can' be right? I thought the flex was unbeatable?

So is it the Flex? Or is it the COACH?
    Nice that you keep referring to the benchmark as '7-4 or worse' when there is only one 'or worse season'.

I'd suspect that our fanbase ( including you) would be absolutely thrilled if our 'worst' seasons were represented by a 7-4 record and a bowl game invite, while 50% of the time we were better even than that.

As as for your comments on Elwood . . . straw men, straw men, everywhere. Who has ever said 'it's not the coach or the execution' or that it's 'unbeatable'? BTW, even with Elwood in, our flex win % is the best of ALL time across ALL divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    And all you have to do to replicate that is go hire a non- flex coach, right?