TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 97 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunsford's Staff

Default Re: Lunsford's Staff

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    Assistant S&C coach did
    Doesn't count as one of the 10 assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I don’t really remember him saying that as much as it was changing he culture. Teaching them how to practice. Basically everything a new coach of a 9 win team with like 50 starters back didn’t need to be saying and doing.
    I understand the concept of “process” and agree with it—mostly. That said, “Hey, look—he DOES know how to practice!” (meaning you want to crush your teammates in the Oklahoma drill) isn’t nearly as important as playing at an all-conference level on Saturdays.
    Last edited by pete4256; 3rd January 2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I understand the concept of “process” and agree with it—mostly. That said, “Hey, look—he DOES know how to practice!” (meaning you want to crush your teammates in the Oklahoma drill) isn’t nearly as important as playing at an all-conference level on Saturdays.
    Sometimes that's the case, but more times than not you play like you practice. In my experience, people that loafed in practice were mostly the ones taking plays off and dogging it during games when things got hard too. That being said, I wasn't at practice and can't really say whether it applied to that particular player or not.

I do know I'd hate to see what some would say about Monken had they heard a few select clips of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Sometimes that's the case, but more times than not you play like you practice. In my experience, people that loafed in practice were mostly the ones taking plays off and dogging it during games when things got hard too. That being said, I wasn't at practice and can't really say whether it applied to that particular player or not.

I do know I'd hate to see what some would say about Monken had they heard a few select clips of practice.
    My point was that sometimes the process stinks. Judging players by their willingness to clobber teammates in the Oklahoma Drill is pretty stupid in 2018.

I’d guess that hard work in the weight room, the film room, and effort spent learning and repping techniques and assignments matter far more, IMO.

To me, the “wisest b.s.” I’ve ever heard from a coach is PJ’s belief that champions don’t compete against the other team; they compete against themselves. To me, that holds true in almost every situation—on and off the field.

By extension, great leaders and teachers are those who can get their charges to internalize standards. Monken may use R. Lee Ermey tactics, but he’s really good.

I want my players to put that intensity into things that are useful.

J.J. Wilcox, Jerick McKinnon, Edwin Jackson, Antwione Williams, Kevin Ellison, Matt Breida, BJ Johnson—none of those guys needed the Oklahoma Drill to reach their potential.
    Last edited by pete4256; 3rd January 2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    Assistant S&C coach did
    Doesn’t count as one of the on field asst coaches. We can only have 10. Harbison is a defensive coach, so I suspect a defensive coach is gone or moving to be an off field support guy.
    Season ticket holder in new section - KK

My point was that sometimes the process stinks. Judging players by their willingness to clobber teammates in the Oklahoma Drill is pretty stupid in 2018.

I’d guess that hard work in the weight room, the film room, and effort spent learning and repping techniques and assignments matter far more, IMO.

To me, the “wisest b.s.” I’ve ever heard from a coach is PJ’s belief that champions don’t compete against the other team; they compete against themselves. To me, that holds true in almost every situation—on and off the field.

By extension, great leaders and teachers are those who can get their charges to internalize standards. Monken may use R. Lee Ermey tactics, but he’s really good.

J.J. Wilcox, Jerick McKinnon, Edwin Jackson, Antwione Williams, Kevin Ellison, Matt Breida, BJ Johnson—none of those guys needed the Oklahoma Drill to reach their potential.
    Same thing as Saban. Saban doesn't want his teams to compete against other teams, but against his standard.

It's the same reason a lot of us argue for "show me your process." If you have a sound approach and philosophy, results take care of themselves. You don't focus so much on the results, you focus on the steps you take every day. Things like even though you're down 30 points, half assing a perimeter/downfield block is poor process. If you do the right things, it all gets sorted out although it may take a while for everything to "click" and show in the Win column sometimes.

Some of it was seen late in the year with Lunsford. I think it was at ULL, we had a ST player pull up short and not hustle all the way to the endzone on a kickoff even though the kick was out of the endzone. Lunsford approached that player as he was coming off the field and you could tell he was irritated at the lack of the effort expected on that play, even though a return wasn't possible. And that translates into real scenarios too.....if you aren't conditioning yourself to get all the way down the field, what happens when a kick falls short and the other team has a chance at a return? If you're stopping early, you've taken yourself out of the play. Nothing about that has anything to do with the other team....it's an expectation of what every player should be doing on that play.

IMO, all the very best coaches are going to be more upset if their team plays like crap and wins than if they play well and lose.

I believe it was the WKU game last year were Nick Saban got really ticked off even though they won something ike 38-10. I don't believe he was like that after any of their losses.

Contrast that to Tyson "we're 3-0, what more do you want" Summers.

Of course, no coach is going to publicly say they'd rather be the best they can be and lose than play like crap and win because your average fan is going to think that's a loser "it's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game" mentality.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 3rd January 2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I'm just not of the opinion that Summers spent every practice running Oklahoma drills like some people are. I just think he was terrible at organizing and getting players to buy in to what he was selling. Monken beat the hell out of the team, but they were organized, knew assignments, and didn't beat themselves.

And I've said it many times, but at some point a coach has got to learn what he has on the team and separate the men from the boys. If that means a few Oklahoma drills in the spring, then that's what it takes. Most of the good coaches I knew got all of that out in the spring and summer, but once the season got started, it was much more game prep and teaching, and very little contact.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

Contrast that to Tyson "we're 3-0, what more do you want" Summers.
    Or the infamous, "we won the 2nd half" crap

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Monken beat the hell out of the team, but they were organized, knew assignments, and didn't beat themselves.
    I can think of about 5-6 games in which Monken’s teams DID beat themselves, but it wasn’t from lack of hard work.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown