TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video - Reaction of boosters and players to Lunsford hiring

Default Re: Video - Reaction of boosters and players to Lunsford hiring

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Try... Try not to be so cynical. It's easy to slip into finding he fault in everything. Nothing is perfect, but focusing on those things isn't healthy and can inhale vigorously the joy out of life. Focus on the positives and you'll live longer.

In reality - Summers and Lunsford aren't alike at all.
    Lunsford earned his way through the ranks here. He put in his time/life dedication.. mostly here.
    The players wanted him... nobody was asking for Summers. Taking Summers over DM made little sense. Except that Coordinator tag/label.
    That tag/label didn't help him. By translation of that fact - the counter must also potentially be true - that an assistant without such a label could be much BETTER.
    I.E. - it doesn't effect how good the coach/hire is. IF Lunsford was an OC or DC at another FBS and we hired him - would you feel better? He'd be the same guy.

In regards to the booster's comment on Lunsford and him staying in Statesboro.
    The guy never said that he would never leave if a big offer came. Nobody would expect anybody to turn down financial prosperity for their families.
    He just said that he isn't going to be "looking" for another place to be. I believe Fritz had agents continuously seeking that from the day he was hired. I don't blame him for that either. Especially when he was an older coach, he had earned imop the ability to keep moving on/up. And he had no ties nor did his family in any interest in staying a part of this community - agian - no fault to he or his family for that.

But you have to recognize that Lunsford IS different. Not so different that he'd turn down a P5 HC job with millions/year. Not so different that if we has BIG success here (that we all hope he does)- he might have an agent at that point "check into things". But for the near future, I think Chad is set on staying put and keeping his family in the only place his kids may have ever known. Stability for your kids is part of what is best for you family. Chad has demonstrated that desire for stability by not leaving with previous staffs. I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that he wasn't offered such opportunities when Monken left and Fritz. Given his obvious ties to recruiting GA - that'd be a big asset to both Tulane and Army... I'd think so anyway. Soon we should be able to keep most G5's from taking our HC.
    If he finds the wins, and a P5 pay day comes knocking, Chad will answer the door and at least talk as would anyone. Hopefully that will be when his kids are much older.

Chad is as True Blue as you or I. Alumni move off for job ops. Players leave early for drafts, Presidents get hired away. That doesn't make anyone less True Blue.
    That doesn't make anyone less of a member of the Eagle family.
    Gotcha and you are right but I am faaaaar from the only person that had made this observation. At this point I am FIDO'ing.

Also Chad is not different in that he is always going to put his family first. Moving to take the Tulane job had we not got Tyson when we did would have been the best move for his family. If it is a lateral move or close to it does not make sense to move your family if offered a similar position for not more in pay.

I am just asserting given the deal Fritz was given here vs Tulane he is going to Tulane just like Fritz and dang well should for his actual family.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Notice how all of those boosters are in their 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    FIDO man if I can you can.....
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    That is great, I am glad he is liked by a handful of people with deep pockets and players that will be gone in 2yrs... but can CL win, can he get us SB championships and get GS to the next level?

I am not saying he cannot (I really hope he does) I am just not sure that his likability is reason to assume he can accomplish those things.
    It's more than a handful of people. It's a lot of people with shallow pockets too.

Players that will be gone in 2 years? MAN.. you are talking about THE TEAM.. the actual TEAM.. the players WANT TO PLAY FOR LUNSFORD!
    People talked about thinking the players didn't want to play for Summers. IDK if that's true.
    But there is little doubt that they will lay it all on the line and walk through fire/run through brick walls for Chad Lunsford.
    THESE are the guys that really must dig down deep and GATA if we are going to win.
    Saying.. "sure the players want him.. but can he win... "... he sure can't if they don't want to play for him. You never know with an outsider. You could get a vangooberhead? Great on paper, poison in the locker room. "Ain't nobody winning" then. That may be half the battle right there!
    Maybe more or as much as recruiting. Erk took the runts/ the players not recruited by the masses and made them CHAMPIOINS!!! How?
    He MOTIVATED them with a desire to play for him that was unsurpassed in College Football History. "College Football's Miracle Worker"

I'm not saying CL is the second coming of Erk or that he is a miracle worker. BUT - given the nose dive we were in.. getting man handled by a mediocre FCS team that called the dogs off early, etc.... Turning that around may be a small miracle?

At any rate, he appears to have the motivation part down. I believe he has the recruiting part down as well - which will help to have motivated non-runts

If he surrounds himself with the right staff & coordinators - THIS could be special.

Now it's up to the players. They (more than a few guys that are gone in two years.... youngest team in the country right?) THEY spoke up, THEY wanted this coach.
    NOW.. THEY must go out and DEFEND their choice.. THEIR Head Coach. Their responsibility now is to PROVE IT! BE motivated - play wide open/lights out slobber knocking GEORGIA SOUTHERN FOOTBALL AND WIN! GATA EAGLES!

These are the boosters who have been and still are providing the majority of funds to the athletic foundation. Just think what our balance sheet would look like if folks in their 20's, 30's and 40's would step up like these folks have been done since restarting the football program.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Gotcha and you are right but I am faaaaar from the only person that had made this observation. At this point I am FIDO'ing.

Also Chad is not different in that he is always going to put his family first. Moving to take the Tulane job had we not got Tyson when we did would have been the best move for his family. If it is a lateral move or close to it does not make sense to move your family if offered a similar position for not more in pay.

I am just asserting given the deal Fritz was given here vs Tulane he is going to Tulane just like Fritz and dang well should for his actual family.
    That's a fair point on the lateral move to Tulane and staying.
    But, wasn't he the only coach retained? He did display a desire to stay here.
    And might it have been more pay for all assistants to go Army or Tulane? IDK... I'd think so. But not enough to be worth moving his family.
    He has stayed through several staffs, I'm saying he has a strong desire to stay. Not that he would take a million plus/year to leave.

But I'm also hoping that by the time he proves he is worthy of that (If he does), our program will be in a financial position to fend off G5 offers like Tulane.
    Extending the likely time frame to gain P5 attention, and so extending his time here.

Anyway, we agree... time to FIDO!

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    These are the boosters who have been and still are providing the majority of funds to the athletic foundation. Just think what our balance sheet would look like if folks in their 20's, 30's and 40's would step up like these folks have been done since restarting the football program.
    I agee with you.
    And First.. they aren't 90. But if you do the real math, many of them have "done so" since their 30's. Why is it an insult to be older anyway? Is that supposed to make their comments less important or wise? Must be that new reverse logic.

We can't all be 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    We can't all be 13.
    But we can all act like it! Had to before someone else said it.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Amen sir!! Instead, excuse after excuse is given as to why NOT to donate. This cycle we're in will be the norm as long as our donor numbers stay where they are. Period. These guys have given their money year after year, no matter if their guy gets hired, etc. They do it for the program. We need a whole lot more people doing that. I'm not saying blind giving, but I'm also saying we can't keep expecting any kind of progress as long as people drop season tickets/donations, etc. every time we hit a rough patch. Not a single team in the history of college football wins all the time. Not a single one. Yet, some programs have consistent giving. We do too, it's just consistenly poor. It's gotta get better. These "90 yr olds" are gonna start passing one day, and there's gotta be enough folks there to soften that blow in the event their families don't share the same affinity for giving.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31