TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

  1. #1

    Default Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Dabo Swinney 4-3 as interim coach (national championship, 8 straight seasons with double-digit wins)
    George O'Leary 0-3 as interim coach (took over after maybe Tech's worst hire ever, holds the highest win percentage ever at Tech, finished ranked 5 straight seasons, no major bowl wins though)
    Phil Fulmer 4-0 as interim, but took over solid team(got fired, but as of now doesn't look so bad. won a national championship, several SEC east titles, 152-52 overall record)
    Clay Helton (won the Rose Bowl his first full year as a coach, double-digit win season for 2017)
    Bill Stewart 1-0 as interim coach (took over after Rich Rod left for Michigan, has 3 9-4 win seasons. Has been all right as a coach, but not great.
    Ed Orgeron 6-2 as interim (took over after Les Miles fired, really had a decent year this year and beat Auburn, likely won't ever win a national championship but won't be a disaster, either)

    Doesn't look like a bad overall track record to me. I'm sure others can probably think of more.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    don't try to bring stats into this! Where is your pitchfork!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Dabo Swinney 4-3 as interim coach (national championship, 8 straight seasons with double-digit wins)
    George O'Leary 0-3 as interim coach (took over after maybe Tech's worst hire ever, holds the highest win percentage ever at Tech, finished ranked 5 straight seasons, no major bowl wins though)
    Phil Fulmer 4-0 as interim, but took over solid team(got fired, but as of now doesn't look so bad. won a national championship, several SEC east titles, 152-52 overall record)
    Clay Helton (won the Rose Bowl his first full year as a coach, double-digit win season for 2017)
    Bill Stewart 1-0 as interim coach (took over after Rich Rod left for Michigan, has 3 9-4 win seasons. Has been all right as a coach, but not great.
    Ed Orgeron 6-2 as interim (took over after Les Miles fired, really had a decent year this year and beat Auburn, likely won't ever win a national championship but won't be a disaster, either)

    Doesn't look like a bad overall track record to me. I'm sure others can probably think of more.
    Different times, different budgets, different situations and different resumes. Now go back and compare to coaches that were proven winning HC's, or the ton of interims that did not get the job.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  4. Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    don't try to bring stats into this! Where is your pitchfork!
    Lmao history and rationale have no place in this site’s pity parade

  5. #5

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Different times, different budgets, different situations and different resumes. Now go back and compare to coaches that were proven winning HC's, or the ton of interims that did not get the job.
    Different time in what what way? Four of those coaches were hired within the last ten years. I don't see what your point is about the budget, either. Those schools have more options as far as head coaches than we do to begin with, so of course anyone they hire is going to have a more impressive resume than who we hire.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    24,214

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Different times, different budgets, different situations and different resumes. Now go back and compare to coaches that were proven winning HC's, or the ton of interims that did not get the job.
    Constantly shifting goalposts.

    There will never be an argument that can have evidence/debate that will satisfy you.

    You will ALWAYS come up with something that makes you the "winner."

    Look, the decision has been made. If you would like to start suggesting guys to be on staff, go for it. But arguing that we should hire somone else as HC is dumb at this moment and makes you look petty just because the guy you really wanted to be hired (and who a lot of us agreed was a great candidate) didn't get the job.

    The head coach of Georgia Southern is not your personal punching bag for whatever is pissing you off. A little bit of optimism would go a long way, as well as constructive opinions on how we can improve moving forward.


  7. #7

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Different time in what what way? Four of those coaches were hired within the last ten years. I don't see what your point is about the budget, either. Those schools have more options as far as head coaches than we do to begin with, so of course anyone they hire is going to have a more impressive resume than who we hire.
    Umm the 80's when SEC budgets and others were not equal to the GDP of some countries...how is this hard.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Constantly shifting goalposts.

    There will never be an argument that can have evidence/debate that will satisfy you.

    You will ALWAYS come up with something that makes you the "winner."

    Look, the decision has been made. If you would like to start suggesting guys to be on staff, go for it. But arguing that we should hire somone else as HC is dumb at this moment and makes you look petty just because the guy you really wanted to be hired (and who a lot of us agreed was a great candidate) didn't get the job.

    The head coach of Georgia Southern is not your personal punching bag for whatever is pissing you off. A little bit of optimism would go a long way, as well as constructive opinions on how we can improve moving forward.
    So providing context to cherry picked examples is shifting goal posts. The opposite is quite true for those in support as all you offer is anecdotal unrelated evidence as if it has any correlation to our situation. Offering up Dabo as an example is laughable. Honestly let me throw you a bone, harp on PJ Fleck and not Dabo you will have a decent comparison for once.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    So providing context to cherry picked examples is shifting goal posts. The opposite is quite true for those in support as all you offer is anecdotal unrelated evidence as if it has any correlation to our situation. Offering up Dabo as an example is laughable. Honestly let me throw you a bone, harp on PJ Fleck and not Dabo you will have a decent comparison for once.
    It's not cherry picked. Find me just one example of an interim coach hire who was a disaster. Just one. I mean, they probably are out there, but the only ones I could really think of were at worst solid but not great hires.

    And I still don't see what your point is about the time period, either. Of the six examples I gave you, only O'Leary and Fulmer I think you could really say were hired in times to be meaningfully different, and even that is dubious.

    Have you considered that maybe interim coach hries actually do have a good track record because when that coach is actually working within the organization it is easier for an AD to get a handle on how that coach would really be as a head coach? I've been just as adamant as you about hiring a head coach and not going for the Power 5 assistants, but I'm not seeing any real reason to dismiss this hire entirely.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Historical Performance of promoted interim head coaches

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    It's not cherry picked. Find me just one example of an interim coach hire who was a disaster. Just one. I mean, they probably are out there, but the only ones I could really think of were at worst solid but not great hires.

    And I still don't see what your point is about the time period, either. Of the six examples I gave you, only O'Leary and Fulmer I think you could really say were hired in times to be meaningfully different, and even that is dubious.

    Have you considered that maybe interim coach hries actually do have a good track record because when that coach is actually working within the organization it is easier for an AD to get a handle on how that coach would really be as a head coach? I've been just as adamant as you about hiring a head coach and not going for the Power 5 assistants, but I'm not seeing any real reason to dismiss this hire entirely.
    Oleary's high water mark at GT was 10-2 went 7-5 his last year averaged 7.5 wins a year.....if we were in P5 I guess I could live with that, those Carquest and Gator bowl trophies made it all worth it, I digress....
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Similar Threads

  1. Georgia HS Head Coaches Who Attended GS
    By gwinnetteagle88 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 21st October 2017, 10:19 AM
  2. McGee Promoted to Assistant Head Coach
    By 1peatfor7 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12th December 2015, 08:15 PM
  3. A historical look at a few of our members
    By Pike51 in forum TALON Talk
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 30th April 2013, 08:05 PM
  4. GSU Head Coaches Tonight
    By Eaglerado in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 1st September 2011, 09:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •