TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Back seat driver

Default Re: Back seat driver

I honestly think that the CCL announcement put the coordinators in a tailspin as their future became formally uncertain. I think CCL had already seen enough of their ineptitude and I think the 2 prior weeks were just the result of playing "more disciplined" football. To me, it looked like the CCU game was piecemealed together on offense and poorly planned on defense due to all the hiring commotion that went during the week. Also, the players had gotten what they wanted(CCL hired) and appeared to be done for the season. They came out flat but they did seem to pick up intensity as the game went on until that fake punt killed us. It is what it is, and we may as well own it. This was one horrible season, but its behind us, but I do think CCL is making some decent moves to get us back to where we want to be. Werts has a year under his belt as do several others and if we can shore up the LB spot next year, I think we'll do well if we can get the coaches we need. I'm withholding judgement on CCL until I see how next year begins to shake out.

2. Default Re: Back seat driver

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

Needed? No way. Why would he need it?
    Seriously? Some think what difference does 3-9 or 2-10 makes. Keeps us out of sharing the Sunbelt bottom dwelling with Texas State. Beat a 1 year removed from FCS "Coastal". Build confidence and momentum going into spring and 2018. 1 extra win can't hurt recruiting especially against Coastal potential recruits. Fan based reinforced confidence in his abilities as a HC. And finally because were supposed to win.😋

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Seriously? Some think what difference does 3-9 or 2-10 makes. Keeps us out of sharing the Sunbelt bottom dwelling with Texas State. Beat a 1 year removed from FCS "Coastal". Build confidence and momentum going into spring and 2018. 1 extra win can't hurt recruiting especially against Coastal potential recruits. Fan based reinforced confidence in his abilities as a HC. And finally because were supposed to win.
    You're going to sell 3-9 as a positive over 2-10? I mean, I guess you can, but it's still a pile of **** no matter what.

I'm not worried about competing with Coastal's recruiting, because they shouldn't even be in our rearview mirror when it comes to that.

It really didn't matter. It would have been nice to finish on a win streak, and to carry some momentum like you said, but it's not a big deal. We should finally have guys in place to teach the team what GATA actually is, and get back to doing that, and not worry about the 5 F's. That's what I'm more interested in seeing.

If people were paying attention, Lunsford has been all over these guys for not giving full effort when they've slacked off. He's shown a lot of things that should grow confidence in his ability to lead a team. Now he's going to put together HIS team of coaches to make it happen.

4. Default Re: Back seat driver

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Now he's going to put together HIS team of coaches to make it happen.
    Well let's hope "HIS" team is a damn good one because he's going to need all the help he can get. Lol

We had 2 coordinators who knew they were getting fired the next day and we looked like crap. Oh my god I’m sooooooooo surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    We had 2 coordinators who knew they were getting fired the next day and we looked like crap. Oh my god I’m sooooooooo surprised
    They knew they were fired well before that...like the day they were not named interim HC over the special teams coach.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    They knew they were fired well before that...like the day they were not named interim HC over the assistant head coach.

FIFY. Semantics, maybe. Or maybe the guy that should have been named the Interim in the event it was necessary.

8. Default Re: Back seat driver

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    While I don't disagree with your general assessment, I don't get your under center flex reference. Lunsford is not a flex coach and he's given no indication as to what his offensive philosophy is or who he'll hire to run it.
    your right, but Lunsford has been around Statesboro a lot, you could say he's old school, like a lot of our fan base. I would be shocked if he brings in OC and position coaches that dont run under center 3O, similar to what we did when Monken was here. At this point i honestly think we are giving ourselves a self imposed ceiling if we go down that road. we are located in one of the best high school football areas in the country, there is plenty of talent to go around regardless of the O scheme we run. I'm not saying we need to adopt a pro style offense, but why not move more toward the spread, and try to get a QB that can actually make good passes. It's what so many colleges are doing, high schools are doing, and we are even seeing it getting more popular in the NFL.
    Class of 2001

Quote Originally Posted by 01Eagle View Post
    your right, but Lunsford has been around Statesboro a lot, you could say he's old school, like a lot of our fan base. I would be shocked if he brings in OC and position coaches that dont run under center 3O, similar to what we did when Monken was here. At this point (1)i honestly think we are giving ourselves a self imposed ceiling if we go down that road. we are located in one of the best high school football areas in the country, there is plenty of talent to go around regardless of the O scheme we run. I'm not saying we need to adopt a pro style offense, but (2)why not move more toward the spread, and try to (3)get a QB that can actually make good passes. It's what so many colleges are doing, high schools are doing, and we are even seeing it getting more popular in the NFL.
    (1) I'm not trying to insult you 01Eagle, but that parroted comment sounds so stupid every time I hear it repeated. It's TOTAL BS.

(2) It's actually called the "spread" option. 5 receiver set.

(3) We agree. No reason we can't have that. Lots of talented QB's in this state that can both run (and the option) like the wind and pass well.

I sure hope CL brings in a true 3-0 guy.

A couple of thoughts on the other issues in this thread:

IF you wanted to hire CL.. the timing needed to be before the Coastal game. Imagine trying to announce that hire AFTER that loss. Not that we expected the loss, but no reason to risk a press conference issue or initial support issue.

OC's left to show what they can do in final game? Maybe? Doesn't really matter. They needed to go.

Why did we hire CL?
    Player motivation and morale should be a factor with any coach. CL has that.
    Perfect fit with the area/culture.
    Lot's of coaching tie ins. (Monken tree, Fritz, others)
    Great recruiter.
    Jump on recruiting while maybe we wait on our coordinator(s) to finish their seasons?
    Also - I'd guess that he gave some indication of who/what he wanted in an OC.
    Our DC was pretty bad, so a guaranteed change with out dropping names might have been enough there?

We can gain very little insight into next season from the last few weeks of this season.

As for TK? He worries me. We/He all know how much this hire has his job on the line. But didn't the last hire? I think after the hire of Summers, questioning his decisions is fair game.
    But I'm trying to NOT transfer that over to my opinion of Lunsford. Just because TK hired him, doesn't make him less perfect for the job.
    Because of the need to make sure we win and so many alumni pushing a return to our traditional offense - I want to believe that TK was giving an indication that we planned to do just that by CL. I hope so anyway.

I'm excited about next season and CL right now. That could change depending on the Coordinator hires.

In regards to the questioning of CL getting a 4 year contract out of the gate:
    This whole thing is going to hinge on the coordinators. Who would he be able to hire away from their current position under a HC with a 4 year contract, if CL only had 1 or 2 years?
    We not only needed that 4 year contract for recruiting, but for assistant coaching hires.

I think the time for questioning CL or the hire is over. It can be brought back up if he fails.
    But for now, no good can come from threads like this. Or every other thread regarding assistants, etc getting hijacked into throwing more doubt on CL.
    If it doesn't help, let's try not to give it life or feed that beast.

CL has been a major part of Eagle Nation for MANY years now. He is 1 of us! Regardless of any lack of confidence in our AD, I request that we all get behind our new HC and give him a chance to right the ship. i think we are in for some good football next season....

GATA Eagle Nation... let's band together.

Nobody is going to pulling against CL and nobody is now, nobody has predicted failure or wants it, can we stop with that narrative or hinting around at it. Given the choice in RELATION to all other choices many of us are confused and shaking our heads at the choice not because of CL but what we could have gotten that in our opinions would have reduced the risk of failure and increase the chances of success immensely. If we got lucky with CL and were able to land a good coach without him having to prove it for years at a HC position or coordinator position then great maybe we keep him a year or two longer than a Houston, but it is luck and not rationally based on any sound evidence or proof. He has not proven anything yet he has been given credit for and nor has it been disproved. He has a clean slate with me as the excuses people are throwing out about going 2-4 and ending with a beat down of a 2-9 FCS team have some merit. I will judge him fully next year, he will have six games with this team, a recruiting cycle and spring, win or leave and take the AD with you if you lose, its that simple. No amount of whining / complaining or Jones Town level blind devotion is going to add one point to the scoreboard help or hurt a recruiting class or make CL or his staff better or worse coaches. He is here for two three years for bad at least and three to four if he wins at a high level. Then on to the next guy and hope we can repeat the luck or learn our lesson.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

you missed JDC's point.