TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Chad Lunsford contract details

Default Re: Chad Lunsford contract details

Quote Originally Posted by Soweagle View Post
    Ok, I assumed he would get the remaining amount of his contract.
    Yea, I was thinking the but out is money we'd get if he were poached.

If it is the amount he'd get from us if fired, instead of the balance of his contract, It could actually save us money if things don't go well. In that case, say if we went 2/10 next year... We'd otherwise still owe him about 1.95 million for his renaming 3 years.
    If we let him go and get out for only 1 million, we'd be saving almost a million. If we cut him after two seasons, we'd otherwise still owe him 1.3 million? Saves us 300k?
    After three I guess it cost us extra to not keep him for year 4?

Idk, I think we'd need to see the actual contract before we complain like crazy about one aspect of it that we don't fully understand the details on.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Yea, I was thinking the but out is money we'd get if he were poached.

If it is the amount he'd get from us if fired, instead of the balance of his contract, It could actually save us money if things don't go well. In that case, say if we went 2/10 next year... We'd otherwise still owe him about 1.95 million for his renaming 3 years.
    If we let him go and get out for only 1 million, we'd be saving almost a million. If we cut him after two seasons, we'd otherwise still owe him 1.3 million? Saves us 300k?
    After three I guess it cost us extra to not keep him for year 4?

Idk, I think we'd need to see the actual contract before we complain like crazy about one aspect of it that we don't fully understand the details on.
    I'm sure that $1MM is reduced proportionally over the four years.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    There is nothing that mandates that the buyout has to be balanced or equal to both sides. There are examples of larger buyouts paid to the school if coach leaves than paid to coach if he's fired. It all comes down to what each side's motivations are and their relative negotiating leverage. In this instance, we should have been in a position to to build in an outsized buyout for 3-4 years should CL leave.
    I agree it’s not always equal. There are many examples on that point. Are you saying we could have offered a lower “payout to terminate” to CL and a higher “payout to us if CL leaves”?

I don’t disagree and I think we had leverage on CCL that we would not have had on an outside candidate. I think we used some of that leverage by offering what appears to be less of a buyout than CTS had.

My main point in this thread so far is that it is normal business to have a “buyout/payout”. I don’t agree that CTS or CCL should have no “buyout” as I believe Blue Eagle was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    My main point in this thread so far is that it is normal business to have a “buyout/payout”. I don’t agree that CTS or CCL should have no “buyout” as I believe Blue Eagle was saying.
    Yes buyouts are standard and have been for many many many years.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Yes, it was a good idea to have a buyout for CTS. Do you recall Coach Monken and Coach Fritz leaving us? I don’t know what we received, if anything, when CM left. We got $100k, or basically peanuts, when CF left.

If CTS would have won these last two years, he could have been gone too.

The buyout is to protect both sides, not just the coach. When it’s all said and done, the CTS buyout is going to be roughly $50k.

If CCL wins 9-10 games each the next two years, I guess you would be perfectly fine with him walking away without any compensation to the school. That’s what you’re arguing here.
    I don't believe because there is a clause saying he would have to pay GS a certain amout if he left early there has to be a clause saying GS would have to pay him the same amount if he was fired before his contract was complete...

It would be up to him to accept it or not...

I just believe we could have gotten him without giving him a million dollar buyout and still have a clause saying we would get a million dollars or whatever it would be if he left early... JUST MY OPINION!!
    GO EAGLES!!!!!!

JUST ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
    I don't believe because there is a clause saying he would have to pay GS a certain amout if he left early there has to be a clause saying GS would have to pay him the same amount if he was fired before his contract was complete...

It would be up to him to accept it or not...

I just believe we could have gotten him without giving him a million dollar buyout and still have a clause saying we would get a million dollars or whatever it would be if he left early... JUST MY OPINION!!
    Coach has an agent. No agent worth a flip is going to let his guy get ripped on a contract. Coach got the going rate for this level and his credentials.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    Coach has an agent. No agent worth a flip is going to let his guy get ripped on a contract. Coach got the going rate for this level and his credentials.
    Blue Eagle will definitely not be representing any coaches at the negotiating table.

Blue Eagle will definitely not be representing any coaches at the negotiating table.
    I obviously haven't been very clear...

I think coaches should get the highest amount in a buyout they can and don't blame Lunsford for getting a million dollar buyout...

I believe he would have taken GS's offer to become the head coach without a buyout clause... I know I would have in his situation for several reasons: the opportunity to be a FBS head coach at a school like GS, the pay raise he will get (about $500,000 I believe) and the fact I don't believe he will need a buyout...

I believe he will be very successful at GS and hope he believes that...
    GO EAGLES!!!!!!

JUST ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!

And I know (not believe) that you are 100% wrong Blue Eagle. Lunsford like every other coach, has to look out for #1. Hence why I don't get people who stay at companies for 15 years. The faster way to move up the corporate ladder and pay is a new company every 2-5 years.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Some people are happy enough working at a job they like and making enough money to buy what they need knowing that all you get in the end is a grave either way.