TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chad Lunsford contract details

1. Default Re: Chad Lunsford contract details

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    And I know (not believe) that you are 100% wrong Blue Eagle. Lunsford like every other coach, has to look out for #1. Hence why I don't get people who stay at companies for 15 years. The faster way to move up the corporate ladder and pay is a new company every 2-5 years.
    Interesting timing and thread choice to share this point-of-view considering CL literally just cashed in by staying with the same company and was extremely unlikely to get a deal remotely close to that anywhere else (now).

Default Re: Chad Lunsford contract details

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Interesting timing and thread choice to share this point-of-view considering CL literally just cashed in by staying with the same company and was extremely unlikely to get a deal remotely close to that anywhere else (now).
    Yes but the buyout protects him.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

And I know (not believe) that you are 100% wrong Blue Eagle. Lunsford like every other coach, has to look out for #1. Hence why I don't get people who stay at companies for 15 years. The faster way to move up the corporate ladder and pay is a new company every 2-5 years.
    1peatfor7, I don't care if you THINK I am 100% wrong or not... I have been 100% wrong before and will be again...

As for looking out for #1, I never said Lunsford or any coach should not look out for #1... In fact, I said I don't blame Lunsford for getting as much in a buyout as he could...

The point of my posts have been TK didn't lookout for GS's interest when he gave Lunsford a million dollar buyout because I believe Lunsford would have taken our offer without having a buyout... I may be wrong but that is what I believe...

I did say if I was in Lunsford situation I would have taken the GS head coaching position without a buyout for the reasons I gave...

I don't recall saying anything about staying in one place (or not) for 2 to 5 years or moving up (or not) the corporate ladder (or coaches' ladder) except in regards GS's head coaching position...
    GO EAGLES!!!!!!

JUST ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!

4. Default Re: Chad Lunsford contract details

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
    The point of my posts have been TK didn't lookout for GS's interest when he gave Lunsford a million dollar buyout because I believe Lunsford would have taken our offer without having a buyout... I may be wrong but that is what I believe...

I did say if I was in Lunsford situation I would have taken the GS head coaching position without a buyout for the reasons I gave.....
    IMO no one in the industry would take a HC job in FBS without the protection of a contract buyout, particularly with our fickle fan base and recent history on firing TS and 4 coordinators. It is a business. To not offer it would be an insult to CL when you consider every HC contract includes one (I have never heard of the case of there not being one...I am sure we even had one when we were FCS). We are in FBS now and we need to act like we belong.

Is this 1M buyout referring to if another school poached CCL? Or is it what GS pats if we fire CLL? Either way it is a sensible deal based on FBS standard. So lets say we fire CLL after 1 year. We don't owe him the remainder of his,contract which would be 1.95M. The only way that set 1M is a bad deal is if he lasts 3 years here and if he does that then its very likely he is doing pretty good and we are more worried some other school might take him away. In which case GS is paid 1M if that is his buyout while under contract.
    Just One More Time!!!

I'm sure if Lunsford does a phenomenal job and the next Army/Tulane/P5 program comes calling, and he leaves, and that school pays GS for Lunsfords buyout, you will understand how TK was in fact looking out for GS best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I'm sure if Lunsford does a phenomenal job and the next Army/Tulane/P5 program comes calling, and he leaves, and that school pays GS for Lunsfords buyout, you will understand how TK was in fact looking out for GS best interests.
    I think I read on another board that StAte was basically funding their next coach's salary with the buyouts of previous coaches (Freeze then Malzahn, then Harsin). Had Summers been successful and been hired away by a richer school, the money we would have received from his buyout would help fund Lunsford's salary. If Lunsford is hired away the buyout would help with the next salary. One additional thing that made Fritz an easy hire for Tulane was that his buyout was drastically reduced because Keel left. I can't see where Lunsford would accept a bounty on his head without some reciprocating protection. I haven't read his contract, but I would imagine the buyout diminishes on both sides each year (absent a rewritten contract).

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I never said GS should not have a buyout clause in a contract... Certainly, if I am the AD any contract I agree to for a head coach would have a clause saying if he left early for another HC position he would owe the school a designated amount...

Coach Lunsford is a special situation in my opinion... Based on what I think I know about him - he has never been a head coach (other than interim exp. at GS), an offensive or defensive coordinator and not likely to get a HC position at a FBS school any time soon other than the one he got at GS...

After the situation with Summers, I think GS is taking too much of a risk hiring someone with Coach Lunsford's lack of experience - no head coach, offensive or defensive coordinator experience...

For those who don't understand, by not giving him a buyout GS would be able to replace him if he does not work out without costing them any money...

If he didn't like the offer, he would not have to accept it... But I suspect with about a $500,000 year raise and the chance to be a HC at a FBS school like GS he would have taken it..

AGAIN JUST MY OPINION!! If you disagree, that is your right...
    Last edited by Blue Eagle; 13th December 2017 at 05:31 PM.
    GO EAGLES!!!!!!

JUST ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!

I never said GS should not have a buyout clause in a contract... Certainly, if I am the AD any contract I agree to for a head coach would have a clause saying if he left early for another HC position he would owe the school a designated amount...

Coach Lunsford is a special situation in my opinion... Based on what I think I know about him - he has never been a head coach, an offensive or defensive coordinator and not likely to get a HC position at a FBS school any time soon other than the one he got at GS...

After the situation with Summers, I think GS is taking too much of a risk hiring someone with Coach Lunsford's lack of experience - no head coach, offensive or defensive coordinator experience...

For those who don't understand, by not giving him a buyout GS would be able to replace him if he does not work out without costing them any money...

If he didn't like the offer, he would not have to accept it... But I suspect with about a $500,000 year raise and the chance to be a HC at a FBS school like GS he would have taken it..

AGAIN JUST MY OPINION!! If you disagree, that is your right...
    I think everyone understands that this is common practice regardless of experience. Our administration has deemed CCL the best man to lead our team. It now does not matter what HC, OC, or DC experience he has. He’s the man. And being deemed the man in an FBS conference means a buyout is involved.

You can continue to argue that CCL would or could have taken the job without a buyout. However, he did not. It’s in there and it ain’t coming out.

10. Default Re: Chad Lunsford contract details

Yes but the buyout protects him.
    What do the details of the contract have to do with the fact that he cashed by staying with the company?