TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Video review question on rules

Default Video review question on rules

Was watching a Div. II playoff game, and the QB threw up a lob to his receiver in the endzone, who caught it and came down just inside the endzone sideline and the refs ruled it a TD. On review, the video showed the player had indeed hit a toe down first inside the endzone before the other foot hit outside the line.

The video also showed that the player had stepped out of bounds on the endzone sideline, and then came back in to catch the ball. So clearly it should have been an "illegal touching" (I thought). Th ref near the play had not thrown his hat (or a flag) to mark that. The video booth came back with the touchdown as "confirmed".

So I was hoping one of you guys knew this rule - could the video review not go back to the step before the catch that was out of bounds to call that, since the original ref did not see or mark it? Is that not reviewable? Seems funny to me, since there was a clear video evidence showing that the receiver should not have been given the TD.

Default Re: Video review question on rules

If it's not called, I'm not sure it can be reviewed.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Default Re: Video review question on rules

Quote Originally Posted by GSUProfFan View Post
    So I was hoping one of you guys knew this rule - could the video review not go back to the step before the catch that was out of bounds to call that, since the original ref did not see or mark it? Is that not reviewable? Seems funny to me, since there was a clear video evidence showing that the receiver should not have been given the TD.
    No only the catch or the inbounds on the catch is reviewable. If not, then you're also going to have to call the hold on the play. As they say, there's holding on every play. Also was the WR pushed out? If so that's legal but if he stepped out on his own than that's not legal.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"