TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 161718
Results 171 to 179 of 179

Thread: DeBesse!!

  1. #171
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    24,214

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    2014 yards per rush: 7.11
    2015 yards per rush: 6.48

    2014 yards per play: 7.34
    2015 yards per play: 6.41

    Pretty significant drop in production.

    EDIT: Advanced stats are even down further, when adjusted for opponent. We were 7th in country in FEI for efficiency in 2014 and 26th in 2015.

    2015 was good but not nearly as good as 2014.
    Hmm...interesting that you used play based stats then use a drive based efficiency metric.

    S&P is play based and adjusts for your opponents.

    2014
    27th Overall S&P
    45th Rushing S&P

    2015
    47th Overall S&P
    11th Rushing S&P

    Our lack of passing hurt us in 2015.

    Also on a per play basis, in 2014 we led the nation in Rushing YPP by .19 ypp. In 2015 we led the nation by .38 ypp.

    In Total YPP
    2014 we tied for 2nd in the country (we were .25 ypp behind the leader)
    2015 we were 24th (.87 behind)

    All things point to a drop in passing production being a bigger difference.


  2. #172

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I don't. I think we were the best coached team in the league in 2014/2015.

    We were no more talented than App, ULL, Troy, USA, or Ark State.

    Competent coaching is the difference in the haves and have nots in this league...not talent differences.

    This is just my opinion. Again, I think we have plenty of talent...we just don't have some huge talent advantage over the top 5-6 Sun Belt teams. That's a myth.
    I don’t think the SBC can be divided into the “haves” and “have nots.”

    There is a group (about 2/3 of the conference) with good talent year-in and year-out. Coaching, experience, and culture divides that group into two sections that vary from season to season, with only Ark St and App St being consistent over the past four years. Theoretically, though, any of these teams could compete in any given year.

    Then, there is a lower group which consistently faces an uphill battle in getting enough players to compete. Right now, this group comprises the two lame ducks, ULM, and possibly CCU (jury’s still out).

    I think we’re in the bottom tier of group one right now, with ULL, USA, and GSU.

    Look how quickly Troy turned things around. We should be in the same position, and looking at our talent we seem to be. We suffered in 2017 due mainly to our youth.

    We made a lot of progress down the stretch, and a good coaching staff (which is TBD) can address the remaining issues quickly. We shouldn’t need an infusion of talent from the 2018 signing class. Still, I’d take the next Dexter Coakley.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    24,214

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    App and Troy will face a lot of issues next year as well. They're about to have massive turnover, especially at QB. I haven't seen where they've been able to get any significant playing time for backups either.

    App had a real lack of success running the ball this year, and were saved by Lamb's ability to pass. Not sure they can count on that out of whoever replaces him next year.

    As for Troy, they haven't been really all that special, just consistent. We'll see how they handle the turnover as well.

    Could Satterfield and Brown both have managed to stay 1 year too long?


  4. #174

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Hmm...interesting that you used play based stats then use a drive based efficiency metric.
    Yes, I did that to show we were better on a explosive per play basis as well on an efficient per drive basis in 2014.

    I wasnt trying to pull a fast one by switching metrics. That's why I put the "edit" in my post so you'd know I was talking about different things.

    I haven't looked at the S&P but what drives the ranking down for the 2014 season? The strength of schedule wasn't that much worse and the raw numbers in 2014 were off the chart.

  5. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sugar Hill, Ga
    Posts
    8,147

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    Yes, I did that to show we were better on a explosive per play basis as well on an efficient per drive basis in 2014.

    I wasnt trying to pull a fast one by switching metrics. That's why I put the "edit" in my post so you'd know I was talking about different things.

    I haven't looked at the S&P but what drives the ranking down for the 2014 season? The strength of schedule wasn't that much worse and the raw numbers in 2014 were off the chart.
    You and eaglewraith .....

    #StatsNerds

  6. Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    No. The OL was a lot weaker than the 2014 OL. There wasn't an OL as good in 2016 as Frye and St. Amour and maybe even Daves.

    Y'all seriously discount the OL we had in 2014. It was excellent and we haven't replaced those Monken guys with anyone approaching their production.
    Preach on

  7. #177

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I don't. I think we were the best coached team in the league in 2014/2015.

    We were no more talented than App, ULL, Troy, USA, or Ark State.

    Competent coaching is the difference in the haves and have nots in this league...not talent differences.

    This is just my opinion. Again, I think we have plenty of talent...we just don't have some huge talent advantage over the top 5-6 Sun Belt teams. That's a myth.
    I don't think anyone here believes that...just that we have talent on par with App, Ark State, and Troy, and others that have been atop the conference a couple of years now.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  8. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sugar Hill, Ga
    Posts
    8,147

    Default Re: DeBesse!!

    I feel pretty confident that, if DeBesse is able to work magic like he did with NM’s talent in the ‘Boro, we will all of a sudden look a lot more talented.

  9. Default Re: DeBesse!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    I feel pretty confident that, if DeBesse is able to work magic like he did with NM’s talent in the ‘Boro, we will all of a sudden look a lot more talented.
    I agree. Think he is the real difference maker here. I notice he zeroed in on speed and quickness when talking about recruiting. Music to my ears.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •