TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

1. Default DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

I've seen a number of comments that assume there is no difference between DeBesse and Cook. I'm no guru, just an armchair idiot who has watched a lot of triple option over the years. I'm not going to go in depth, but simply provide some websites and video that explain better than I ever could.

How it Works

How it Works 2

How it is Different than the Flex

Navy consulted with New Mexico for 2016 Air Force game

Air Force's version of the TO is probably my most favorite version it, so having something that resembles it would be epic - especially with our ability to recruit. To me, the differences are obvious. To those who wonder what might have been with Fritz, you just might be in for a real treat. Let's hope so!

Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    I've seen a number of comments that assume there is no difference between DeBesse and Cook. I'm no guru, just an armchair idiot who has watched a lot of triple option over the years. I'm not going to go in depth, but simply provide some websites and video that explain better than I ever could.

How it Works

How it Works 2

How it is Different than the Flex

Navy consulted with New Mexico for 2016 Air Force game

Air Force's version of the TO is probably my most favorite version it, so having something that resembles it would be epic - especially with our ability to recruit. To me, the differences are obvious. To those who wonder what might have been with Fritz, you just might be in for a real treat. Let's hope so!
    UNM under DeBesse mostly ran the same things we tried to run this year, only DeBesse knew how to coach them. Cook was learning on the job.

SHSU basically had two offenses under Fritz/DeBesse: a typical zone-read based spread offense with Brian Bell at QB, and a zone-based triple option and “wildcat” offense with Richard Sincere taking snaps.

We saw something like a blend of those under Fritz and Ruse.

In any case, it’ll probably look very familiar to the 2017 offense, only (hopefully) with far fewer kinks.

I’d still like to see some flex just to keep defenses honest. Plus, I think the flex offers a highly-efficient short-yardage offense—especially the rocket toss/zone dive/QB follow combination.
    Last edited by pete4256; 15th December 2017 at 04:17 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I would like to see us install a simplified flex offense: Rocket toss, midline, speed/lead option, and a play action for all 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

4. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Debesse's offensive scheme is a little more complicated then whatever Cook was trying to run. The good news. Plenty of time to install it. The spring game should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I would like to see us install a simplified flex offense: Rocket toss, midline, speed/lead option, and a play action for all 3.
    Yeah, me too. The problem with any midline or inside veer series is how many QB/FB mesh reps you need.

That’s why I think the handful of plays we ran this season are almost good enough. Zone dive and QB follow and probably better companions to the rocket toss than Belly down at the goal-line.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

6. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I am a fan of the flexbone, but if we are going to a full zone blocking scheme, I don't want to see the flex at all. All of these plays can be run from the shotgun with zone blocking.

7. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

I've seen a number of NM highlights and I didn't see a single play under center, even from red zone/goal line so I have doubts they'll be any of the familiar flex that we are used to. It looks like it was all shotgun/pistol from the moment DeBesse started at NM.

I've seen a number of NM highlights and I didn't see a single play under center, even from red zone/goal line so I have doubts they'll be any of the familiar flex that we are used to. It looks like it was all shotgun/pistol from the moment DeBesse started at NM.

Klak posted a vid in the DeBesse thread. 7:30 minute mark. Flexbone, B back takes it 85 yards for a TD.

9. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

And so there is. You just happened to remember that particular play did you? I obviously missed that, but I'll go on a limb and say it's not a regularly recurring formation. The ULM and Wyoming games were firing on all cylinders!

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    Klak posted a vid in the DeBesse thread. 7:30 minute mark. Flexbone, B back takes it 85 yards for a TD.

There was one that as shown earlier that was flex and the RB took the dive about 75 yards to the house in it. Not sure which highlights vid it was in.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive