TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Easy. 1999.

That offense was unreal.

Funny thing is 2014 was not far behind it....and both of those way outpaced any other season.
    Wrong, but in defense of 1999, there was a ton of garbage time.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Wrong, but in defense of 1999, there was a ton of garbage time.
    Highest average yards per rush for the season right?

1999 - 7.41
    2014 - 7.12
    2012 - 6.58
    2004 - 5.83

99 and 14 are #1/#2, followed by 98 which is pretty much .5 yards per rush behind 2014.....so yea, they outpace everything else.

Soooo what am I missing?
    Last edited by eaglewraith; 16th December 2017 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I would like to see us install a simplified flex offense: Rocket toss, midline, speed/lead option, and a play action for all 3.
    I love how people say you hate the option when you post stuff like this and your picture is the option.

I can remember monken using the rocket sweep with lots of success. Imagine that defense focusing on the B back, then the qb and slots on the outside and then hitting them with a rocket sweep was amazing. Then to top it off, after a successful rocket toss we would run it exactly the same way just the qb keeps it then takes a step or 2 back and hits a wide open receiver as half said. I specifically remember us doing this with jaybo and remember that touchdown pass down the sideline against Bama! Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I can remember monken using the rocket sweep with lots of success. Imagine that defense focusing on the B back, then the qb and slots on the outside and then hitting them with a rocket sweep was amazing. Then to top it off, after a successful rocket toss we would run it exactly the same way just the qb keeps it then takes a step or 2 back and hits a wide open receiver as half said. I specifically remember us doing this with jaybo and remember that touchdown pass down the sideline against Bama! Beautiful.
    Which is why it's mandatory imho for us to have a "quarterback" playing the quarterback position, gasouthern01. In today's game the quarterback has to complete those passes when the man coverage is there. Completing passes off play action will always separate our good offensive units from those who aren't quite good enough to get us the W's against good defensive teams.

Hoping to see a lot of improvement in this area of the offensive execution in our 2018 season. Gotta get rid of the ball on time & be more accurate on those throws in 2018 than we saw in 2017.

6. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

In one of those links I posted, there was an excerpt on why the QB isn't a very good passer - simply because the scheme is very demanding time wise and not enough time to coach the pass. We've all learned how obvious that is by now. It is my belief that I'd rather have a QB that doesn't have a blink-and-you-miss-it 40 yard time in favor of a good passing game and enough running to get the job done. Of course, if that was the answer, then Yeoman would've figured that out back when he invented the TO in the first place... That's what makes Tracy Ham so amazing. He just had that raw talent that comes once in a generation.

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    Which is why it's mandatory imho for us to have a "quarterback" playing the quarterback position, gasouthern01. In today's game the quarterback has to complete those passes when the man coverage is there. Completing passes off play action will always separate our good offensive units from those who aren't quite good enough to get us the W's against good defensive teams.

Hoping to see a lot of improvement in this area of the offensive execution in our 2018 season. Gotta get rid of the ball on time & be more accurate on those throws in 2018 than we saw in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    In one of those links I posted, there was an excerpt on why the QB isn't a very good passer - simply because the scheme is very demanding time wise and not enough time to coach the pass. We've all learned how obvious that is by now. It is my belief that I'd rather have a QB that doesn't have a blink-and-you-miss-it 40 yard time in favor of a good passing game and enough running to get the job done. Of course, if that was the answer, then Yeoman would've figured that out back when he invented the TO in the first place... That's what makes Tracy Ham so amazing. He just had that raw talent that comes once in a generation.

I’m sure I will get blasted for this but Tracy wasn’t a once in a generation talent. There just wasn’t a demand for QB’s with his skill set in the early 80’s. He is DEFINITELY the type of QB we want.

I agree with everything you say about what you want in a QB though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

8. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I’m sure I will get blasted for this but Tracy wasn’t a once in a generation talent. There just wasn’t a demand for QB’s with his skill set in the early 80’s. He is DEFINITELY the type of QB we want.

I agree with everything you say about what you want in a QB though.
    I agree that there was not the demand for qb's like him back in that time, that's why he was at GS. He was however a once in a generation qb for us. I think we've only had two of those type guys, Tracy and Adrian.

Werts was pretty good in his passing, the last few games. Perhaps most important, he was improving instead of regressing. Both Ellison and Upshaw had moments of passing talent but regressed during the season.

If DeBesse and associates can coach a good passing game in addition to the rest, Werts might be the guy you are describing.

10. Default Re: DeBesse's Triple option vs Flexbone - crash course

I think Werts would be a step ahead of every else as far as being the leader of DeBesse's system. Unless DeBesse has a QB that comes with him like Jaybo did for Monken... Watching from the outside, I think the real issue with teams like GT is that you get a QB that doesn't make the right reads, or fails to implement the system in some way, then that QB will have even more coaching as far as making reads etc, and even less time for passing. At heart of it, the TO lives and dies by the run, so a TO QB that can't pass will give you a better chance than a TO QB that can't make his reads.. I still think this can be solved by changing your priorities as far as passer/runner. A good o-line can get your grandma enough yards to get a 1st down within 4 downs. Anyway, DeBesse is very good at what he does. If NM can win that many games with virtually nothing, it's hard not to get excited about what he can do here.